Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Top WC Guys out there

Knifefighter and Terence - u guys are the two on here that I perceive to have the most experience
    You are correct about Knifefighter, totally wrong about Terence.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper 2.0 View Post
    . . . Knifefighter and Terence - u guys are the two on here that I perceive to have the most experience and I think u can provide some insight then to what wc teachers we can look at models? Instead of pick on the wc gang here - how about provide some direction. What names would u suggest are top wc guys and why?
    I've trained WC for nearly 40 years and have fought full contact in competitions with WC. There are others here as well who have trained 30 + years.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

i have never met tom wong but have heard amazing things about him...from what i have seen, everyone has awesome things to say about him (which is why i keep his site in my signature as a good Sum Nung Wing Chun teacher)

i hear he is equally skilled in a style that is not well known called Di Su (Shaolin ground fighting), that he learned to compliment WC's lack of ground game

I am not so sure if he is past his prime, as traditional masters like him continually train each and every day.

he is in Los Angeles--i would be curious for you to go visit him and touch hands. maybe even video tape it? i would love to see him fight!...but i doubt he'd let you tape it.

you dont see lots of demos or info on youtube or know much about him because i hear he is very very very traditional. that means he is very selective about giving away his training techniques and knowledge. like sum nung, he was very careful about being videotaped.

Edit:

Havent been to his site in a while. Found some videos:

http://www.wingchunkungfu.org/wing-c...os-photos.html

here is one on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYXUAiqAj8

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Absolutely. I'd love to see some legitimate proof of fighting ability, but I know how rare that is in the WC world... though Alan Orr's folk are looking pretty good.

Interesting to have you here Phrost, I've been going to Bullshido since the days it was known as Mcdojo.com, how long have you been on KFM?

Anyways, Welcome. Its great to have you here.

I don't mean to play down the fighting ability. I don't include it because many of these teachers are pretty old. I could touch hands with someone like Gary Lam or Thomas Wong and feel some skill, but they're so far past their primes that any legitimate proof of their fighting ability is going to be hard to come by. Like Freddie Roach is a great trainer but his fighting abilities are severely degraded from age and health issues.

It'd be great to see videos of them fighting. But its not very common. As Phrost said too, to judge it by their students but I doubt I'll ever find videos of their students fighting.
    Last edited by Pacman; 07-29-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    That's exactly what happens with a good foot sweep.

The more you post, the more you demonstrate your ignorance.
    this happens if you are sloppy. if it happens "most of the time" that just means you are unskilled at it.

thats like saying the likely consequence of throwing a punch is a counterpunch because you leave yourself open.

the results of the action are determined by the practitioner. there is no hard and fast rule of probability (like a law of nature) what is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Since you want to know who the hell he is, Knifefighter (Dale Franks) is a BJJ black belt who has fought in sub grappling and MMA competitions, and NHB bare-knuckle, not to mention one of the Dog Brothers.

ill concede that someone with a black belt in BJJ knows about BJJ...but we arent just discussing BJJ here. we are talking about a lot of different things.

having competed in bare knuckle competitions--even winning some matches, does not necessarily guarantee skill or knowledge.

A couple of instructive things about that encounter.

1- These were two of the most highly skilled WC practioners on the planet at the time, yet that was the result of a real-time encounter.
    please no...they were two of the most well known WC teachers. please don't insult WC by claiming emin and cheung were anywhere near the most skilled on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    i have never met tom wong but have heard amazing things about him...from what i have seen, everyone has awesome things to say about him (which is why i keep his site in my signature as a good Sum Nung Wing Chun teacher)

i hear he is equally skilled in a style that is not well known called Di Su (Shaolin ground fighting), that he learned to compliment WC's lack of ground game

I am not so sure if he is past his prime, as traditional masters like him continually train each and every day.

he is in Los Angeles--i would be curious for you to go visit him and touch hands. maybe even video tape it? i would love to see him fight!...but i doubt he'd let you tape it.

you dont see lots of demos or info on youtube or know much about him because i hear he is very very very traditional. that means he is very selective about giving away his training techniques and knowledge. like sum nung, he was very careful about being videotaped.

Edit:

Havent been to his site in a while. Found some videos:

http://www.wingchunkungfu.org/wing-c...os-photos.html

here is one on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYXUAiqAj8

He's over in Monterey Park, which is about a half hour from me. I've been planning to go see him but currently don't have much time to go over there until later this year. I've exchanged a few emails with him about his classes, and will definitely let you know what I think of him once I go down there. I'll see about videotaping some stuff, but I don't have a decent video camera. Who knows though, maybe I'll pick one up in a few months.

ill concede that someone with a black belt in BJJ knows about BJJ...but we arent just discussing BJJ here. we are talking about a lot of different things.

having competed in bare knuckle competitions--even winning some matches, does not necessarily guarantee skill or knowledge.
    well put its about time some one had some grey matter

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

this happens if you are sloppy. if it happens "most of the time" that just means you are unskilled at it.

thats like saying the likely consequence of throwing a punch is a counterpunch because you leave yourself open.

the results of the action are determined by the practitioner. there is no hard and fast rule of probability (like a law of nature) what is going to happen.
    Judokas are arguably the best people on the planet at foot sweeps and they often go down with the opponent.

But please feel free to post the clips of you doing it better... of course, since you never do it in the first place, that would be impossible.

Judokas are arguably the best people on the planet at foot sweeps and they often go down with the opponent.

But please feel free to post the clips of you doing it better... of course, since you never do it in the first place, that would be impossible.

Dale,

In my opinion, one doesnt even have to go for individual performance and individual cannot represent whole system or style.

Just take a look at the characteristics and strength of the platform; things are very clear. That is because one cant effort to have a perfect execution. a platform represent the power of a standard execution which represent the art.

Sure, most will say " I am exception." similar to most says " I am exception and I would not catch cold" while there is a cold epidemic.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-29-2009 at 08:52 PM.

but emin isnt a judoka nor does he use the sweep anywhere in the film thats the point

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

So.......

Ip Ching is totally the top Wing Chun guy out there....just thought I'd get us all back on track

Moses

oh honestly. you need to get off your high horse. getting a BJJ black belt, having terrence on your sac, and competing in a tournament does not make you God of the all martial arts.

you are always so quick to tell everyone else how little they know or how little they do. why don't you show what you can do? im sure you have some evidence.

it doesnt matter if you competed in some tourneys or were part of a dog whatever club or have decades of experience. i have met many people with decades of experience who don't know squat. none of that suggests you know what your talking about.

so before you continue looking down your nose at everyone who disagrees with you on this forum down why don't you show your credentials first. im sure you have a vid of at least one of your numerous death matches right?

then we can give you your proper respect if warranted.
    Last edited by Pacman; 07-30-2009 at 01:57 AM.

please no...they were two of the most well known WC teachers. please don't insult WC by claiming emin and cheung were anywhere near the most skilled on the planet
    hahahahaha

Check your facts before you fall into the trap of basing your opinion on a highly edited short clip. Look at the Yip man students who rate William Cheung as the best Wing Chun Fighter ever. Look at the Yip Man students who still wont forgive him for not turning up to the tournament that WSL failed at (and never fought again after). They thought he would have upheld Wing Chun.

Yes I am biased. He is my sifu. I am not an instructor. I do not need to flash any credentials. But I have checked my facts. At the time that mattered, he was the best.

Peter Lillywhite