Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Styles

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hey, How come he gets to write bull****, and I can't?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Your forum fu is weak my friend
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by gummi View Post
    My mission was not so much to talk about the particular school, but to discuss styles. There are very few resources to go to in my area.
    Gummi, have you ever heard of Kurt Wong? He's Wu Tan, (7 star praying mantis, chen taijiquan, bajiquan) and he's good. He has a school in Anchorage.

Those guys who make wild claims will only embarrass you in the end. You can learn something, but it usually ends up being only crude calisthenics. A few minutes a week with a good teacher is better than years spent with the ego trippers who live in their own fantasies.

Good luck.

John
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by tentigers View Post
    4) hokey, trying way too hard to sound chinese and authentic-type names of systems, such as temple of five tigers style, ten tig-oops...
    .......lol
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    The other thing is, Kung-Fu systems have very specific concepts and methods of moving, strategies, power generation, etc. People who make upi their own system have never been exposed to this and are teaching wavy movements that have no purpose. Quite often, these moves are completely contrary to how a Kung-Fu person moves. Therefore, they can end up causing you to not only waste your time learning useless stuff, but you can also develop very bad habits that will be ingrained in you.
    Learning from a poor teacher can potentially ruin your chances to actually learn real Kung-Fu in the future from a good teacher.
    So, even if it is the only show in town, it may better serve you to avoid it and either travel, or find another art.
    There was a time that I learned TKD-only because at the time, I did not have access to Kung-Fu, so I found a very good traditional TKD teacher. This way, I learned correct structure and technique.
    "It is better to spend ten years searching for a good Sifu,
    than spend one year under a poor one."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I do know of Kurt Wong. Well-respected, stellar reputation. But unfortunately, not there anymore. The dojo is, though.

Right. Not Asian, ethnicity or nationality. American, but trained at the Shaolin Temple since childhood. Doesn't explain how he lives in America.
    Complete and total sh it.

The Shaolin Temple as it exists today is a circus troupe. Very athletic men, but they are gymnasts and acrobats. The original temple was burned and the masters killed, any fan of chop socky flicks knows that.

And the open I gave you for there maybe being a secret family style? I take it all back.

Invite your sifu here if you like, otherwise please find a new location.

Good advise, all.

Last question - do you know of a lineage with Master Jeng and Master Tsu (Hunan, China)?

Good advise, all.

Last question - do you know of a lineage with Master Jeng and Master Tsu (Hunan, China)?
    Common surnames, you would need to provide more. A quick google search for "master tsu hunan" came up with at least three names, though I am sure that is just scratching the surface.

Well, the story of an American trained from childhood in the Shaolin Temple pretty much proves the guy is a fraud, as it simply isn't possible. Regardless of if a master Tsu and Jeng exist, your guy is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Hey, How come he gets to write bull****, and I can't?
    because you don't know how to spell bullshit?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    because you don't know how to spell bullshit?
    I've had enough of your bullshit, buddy...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Right. Not Asian, ethnicity or nationality. American, but trained at the Shaolin Temple since childhood. Doesn't explain how he lives in America.
    the part that would actually need some explaining would not be how an American lives in Amercia, but how he ended up as a child living in the Shaolin temple

anyway, that claim right there, if one knows anything about the state of Shaolin these days, would instantly embed the person making that claim into Willy Wonka's World of Imagination;

and BTW, if he learned all his stuff at the Shaolin Temple, I mean, just take a look at any one of the literally hundreds of YouTube vids of actual authentic Shaolin stuff - it's all very well documented what they taught there historically, it wouldn't be anything that looks any different

save your time and money

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    "super-secret, hidden to western eyes?"
    Let me hazard a guess...the Sifu is not Asian...am I right?
    I don't know what's more disconcerting - that it is true, or that you knew it was true just by that one phrase

Thanks for the responses. It is a bit confusing and I'm trying to work my way through it respectfully.
    Is there Northern-style Lung?
    If a car salesman sold you a lemon that blew up 5 minutes down the road would you be respectful?

If the building inspector that looked over our house before you bought it said it was good to go, but three months later you have an electrical fire because it wasn't up to code...would you be respectful?

If a doctor prescribed you a drug without knowing your history and it nearly killed you would you be respectful?

These people are no different than any other jerk-off scam artist and why in the world you care to be respectful is beyond me. They don't care about you. You gonna be nice to the guy that just mugged you at the atm too?