Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it ever ethical to hit an attacker who wears glasses in the face?

Question Is it ever ethical to hit an attacker who wears glasses in the face?

For most situations, I would say definitely not. However, if your life is threatened, then it may be justifiable, depending on the circumstances. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

well, that's pretty much the only circumstance in which it's justifiable to hit some guy in the face if he DOESN'T wear glasses, isn't it?

i'm unclear on the question, i guess. if he's attacking you, doesn't make much difference whether he wears glasses or no. and if he's not attacking you, why punch him at all?

stuart b. (glasses wearer)

Smile

is it okay to call people who wear glasses four eyes?

Whether this is pc or mature or not, I feel that if anybody takes a swing at me with malicious intent one of two things will happen, they will take me out, or I will take them out. My wife said this when I mentioned it to her about hitting women (which I dont normally believe in) she said "If you hit a man, you have stepped into a mans world..."

I agree that you should not hit someone who is not attacking you. However, it is possible that someone could throw a series of strikes at you full force without intending to kill you. Would you not be justified in defending yourself in that situation?(though not by hitting him in the face if he wears glasses, IMHO.)
    Last edited by phantom; 12-20-2001 at 01:17 PM.

It is ALWAYS ethical to defend yourself against an attacker, and if removing someone's glasses will protect you then by all means do it. I would much rather break someone's glasses to end a fight than have to break someone's arm, leg, or neck.
    And all that the Lorax left here in this mess
    was a small pile of rocks, with the one word..."UNLESS."
    --Dr. Seuss

paul,

sure. but you may want to do it from a distance. nothing more embarrassing than getting beaten down by the bookish-looking guy in the corner.

stuart b.

Not only ethical, it's tactical.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Thumbs up

heh, new fox special - When guys who wear glasses attack!

phantom,

i still don't understand the problem. are you concerned that breaking someone's glasses might blind them or something? does it not feel 'sporting'?

what, exactly, is the objection?

i wear glasses. i don't suspect, for one moment, that this will prevent someone from punching me in the face.

if it's not a serious situation, then a fight probably wasn't the way to go. but once it's gone sour, i can't imagine that glasses will be a factor. (either you can restrain the guy in question or you can't. i can't see amending that decision based on his eyewear.)

if it is a serious situation, then yeah, i'd figure on getting punched right in my glasses (assuming i hadn't removed them myself).

stuart b.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    I'd hit someone wearing glasses, no problem. If someone gets in a fight with me this person DESERVES to get hit.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

let me preface this by saying i'm a pretty mellow person, i've never started a fight in my life, and like nothing more than avoiding one.....but:

if they start it, FU(K 'EM!
    kick in the nadgers, glasses, wooden leg etc.
    take there glasses off and shove 'em up their poop shute if it'll help.
    if they don't like it, shouldn't have started it
    __________________________________________________ __________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

JWT is correct.

At school as a 15 year old I was being hassled by this bespectacled guy (sounds sucky, I know) who was a bit bigger than me. He was getting in my face, throwing fake punches and light taps at me.

I blindly threw a haymaker. I hadn't really meant to connect, but I did. His glasses were bent, his nose was cut and bleeding where the glasses met it, and he was crying.

I felt just a little bad because I hadn't really meant to hit him, but I was impressed with the effectiveness of the result. The guy didn't hassle me again.

Treat them as you would anyone else.
    Don't treat them as if it's a handicap.

I know some guys in my old karate dojo that wear glasses and they can really fight.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

It's "poop chute".

I'm here to help.