Thread: Tai Chi as medicine

Hybrid View

Skip,

Its best to walk 5 miles a day - schedule 2 half hour walks for yourself twice a day, or wear a good pedometer and go for 10000 steps a day.

Eat a largely dark green leafy vegetable diet with 2 ounces of protein and some fats/oils, with fruits, nuts.

Avoid processed foods, hidden sugars, artificial stuff, preservatives.

Boring or not, walking is the king of all exercises. I say walk in a mall, in a new place, in a crowded outdoor area, you'll never find it boring.

Tai Ji is good, but does little for your cardiovascular system (except maybe for Chen style done in high reps) and hardly burns the calories. Its fun and varied, but diet and exercise are the pillars to good health. Look at Tai Ji as a way to vary your time with a healthy lifestyle.

Oh yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Skip, Its best to walk 5 miles a day - schedule 2 half hour walks for yourself twice a day, or wear a good pedometer and go for 10000 steps a day. Eat a largely dark green leafy vegetable diet with 2 ounces of protein and some fats/oils, with fruits, nuts. Avoid processed foods, hidden sugars, artificial stuff, preservatives. Boring or not, walking is the king of all exercises. I say walk in a mall, in a new place, in a crowded outdoor area, you'll never find it boring. Tai Ji is good, but does little for your cardiovascular system (except maybe for Chen style done in high reps) and hardly burns the calories. Its fun and varied, but diet and exercise are the pillars to good health. Look at Tai Ji as a way to vary your time with a healthy lifestyle.
    Hey Robert;

Yep, I agree with all of that..... but I look at taiji as encouraging me to get out and walk to train for taiji..... or I would not be out walking at all... again....

It's not an either/or situation for me, it's both.... And also, while at 61 my mind has not quite vegetated yet, I notice the not-boring part engaging the minds of older students in their '70's and '80's to be a very good thing.....
    .... Skip