Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Century Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Well tell them they're supposed to buy it dinner first. And have some romantic time. Sheesh. Bunch of big d@mn ogres.
    Best post ever !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Well tell them they're supposed to buy it dinner first. And have some romantic time. Sheesh. Bunch of big d@mn ogres.
    Funny you should say that, the way Bob's made he looks like he's wearing a skirt instead of shorts
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Please share any relative benefits training with a BOB may produce?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Live partner best, Wooden Dummy next... then maybe Bob.
    The Punch comes from the Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Please share any relative benefits training with a BOB may produce?
    I like the "give" that the head has, it helps me not to over commit.

I find bob to be good for upper cuts and percision hitting to certain areas but thats about it really when compared to a heavy bag etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ng Mui View Post
    Live partner best, Wooden Dummy next... then maybe Bob.
    Okay what skills does the Bob assist with that you may not be able to develop using a heavy bag or wooden man????

Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    Never late for training, never injured to train.
    Ain't that truth buddy. The BOB won't hurt you will it?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post

Excellent point. I am glad you brought that up. Although some may see your comment as an indenudo...ha ha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    I find bob to be good for upper cuts and percision hitting to certain areas but thats about it really when compared to a heavy bag etc.

What does the BOB offer that one can obtain from a heavy bag?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Never late for training, never injured to train.
    Bob's always there, but to say he's never injured is incorrect. Our Bob had a recent head transplant and now has a basketball held in place with many layers of multicoloured duct tape. He looks like a burns victim or someone who's been kidnapped.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Bob's always there, but to say he's never injured is incorrect. Our Bob had a recent head transplant and now has a basketball held in place with many layers of multicoloured duct tape. He looks like a burns victim or someone who's been kidnapped.
    i think they meant the bob doesn't injure you

You are over committing on your punches is chun speak for "Ow, Stop that, your hitting too hard".

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    You are over committing on your punches is chun speak for "Ow, Stop that, your hitting too hard".
    By overcommitment I mean it will let me know if I'm throwing my balance too much forward, or if I'm overextending my arm.

Hitting a punching bag stops my forward momentum and stops my arm from overextending, Bob's face makes me pay for a lack of control.

By overcommitment I mean it will let me know if I'm throwing my balance too much forward, or if I'm overextending my arm.

Hitting a punching bag stops my forward momentum and stops my arm from overextending, Bob's face makes me pay for a lack of control.
    Gotcha.

You can accomplish the same thing by making sure you snap your punches. The best instruction I ever had about punching is when I read an Ali quote who said punching should be like hitting a fly with a fly swatter.

Gotcha.

You can accomplish the same thing by making sure you snap your punches. The best instruction I ever had about punching is when I read an Ali quote who said punching should be like hitting a fly with a fly swatter.
    Great so The Bob can kinda of give you and idea of punching a head with out over committing and put some snap into it. That sounds pretty cool!!!!

Gotcha.

I think its a decidedly different thing. Of course in most cases you "snap" your punches, but in the air we have nothing "real" to hit, and on a punching bag its weight and density helps to correct any loss of balance due to forward momentum or over-extension.

That is, unless you simply stand in front of bob stationary hitting him. But if you're practicing moving around, in, and out while striking, I think Bob's face can be an excellent training tool.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 10-26-2009 at 03:49 PM.

I think its a decidedly different thing. Of course in most cases you "snap" your punches, but in the air we have nothing "real" to hit, and on a punching bag its weight and density helps to correct any loss of balance due to forward momentum or over-extension.

That is, unless you simply stand in front of bob stationary hitting him. But if you're practicing moving around, in, and out while striking, I think Bob's face can be an excellent training tool.
    In Some Chinese Martial Arts there are two forms of sand bag hitting. On is the old heavy bag that was used to kick and hit and elbow and knee. Some even had a heavy bag that was the shape of human. The Second one was smaller bag about the size of beach ball maybe. An it too was filled with sand and later on harder material. It hung straight down so it could swing. The point of hitting these things were to build power for hitting the face or head and generating force in a smaller amout of space. Where the heavy bag was to build power for hitting the body. So theoretically one should have both wouldn't you say?