Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think forms rule

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I think the underlying thinking is, and please correct me if I'm wrong,

Forms don't teach fighting, fighting teaches fighting? So, if you want to learn how to fight, fight. Fair enough.

PARABLE TIME!!

A Samuri comes to a village and everybody bows, but the oil merchant pouring oil into small containers.

The Samuri is offended and threatens to behead the man if he doesn't bow, and the man says, "I don't need to bow to you and your skill, I can pour oil through the hole in this coin, into my bottle, and not spill a drop." The Samuri watched as he did so, over and over again.

The Samuri then left.

7 years later the Samuri returned, and bowed to the Oil Merchant in recognition of his skill which the Samuri could not reproduce, and was enlightened.

To some, kung fu is about fighting. To others it is about physical skills and the pursuit of perfection in movement and timing. The goal is the pursuit, not the realisation.

--

There are two kinds of mountaineers you'll meet. When your sitting on the top and another climber scuttles up and you ask them, 'So, why'd you climb it?' Most offer the cliche "Because its here", or "I had to add it to my conquests" or the like. Few people answer the obvious, 'for the view.'

I guess you can just say that not everybody has the same motivations.
    If your own motivations gain force by the denial of alternatives or by measure against foreign standards, you have no validity other than what you take from others.
    Well said Jubei !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

chinese kung fu doesnt teach forms. kung fu teaches postures "shi"

1800's kung fu after a 200 year ban is not reliable
    Last edited by bawang; 11-27-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    1800's kung fu after a 200 year ban is not reliable
    Nice.
    ________
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    When you speak of fighting are you saying fighting like in the street/ring
    the street and the ring are not even comparable nor worthy to be in the same sentence... the ring is for entertainment where "fighters" have to abide by a set of rules and regulations, with the outcome, at times, decided by a panel of judges... again, the street and the ring are entirely different enviroments...
    2 different environments.
    i have clarified the two enviroments for you.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    the street and the ring are not even comparable nor worthy to be in the same sentence... the ring is for entertainment where "fighters" have to abide by a set of rules and regulations, with the outcome, at times, decided by a panel of judges... again, the street and the ring are entirely different enviroments...
    Uki is 100% correct.
    On the street you fight wannabe losers that THINK they can fight, in the ring you fight well trained and conditioned fighters that KNOW how to fight.

Doesnt Lee Chiang Po generally speak from a life encounter viewpoint and not sport?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Uki is 100% correct.
    there's a good mate.
    On the street you fight wannabe losers that THINK they can fight, in the ring you fight well trained and conditioned fighters that KNOW how to fight.
    no wonder winners in the ring don't fight in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    there's a good mate.
    no wonder winners in the ring don't fight in the street.
    You need to expand your circle of MA people, you don't seem to know many fighters do you?
    And fighting off people trying to steal your mushrooms doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You need to expand your circle of MA people, you don't seem to know many fighters do you?
    i work with masons that use block hammers and shovels to lay out would be perps.
    And fighting off people trying to steal your mushrooms doesn't count.
    i eat them too fast for anyone to be able to steal them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Doesnt Lee Chiang Po generally speak from a life encounter viewpoint and not sport?
    Well, you have me there. Sparring would indeed help you learn to a point. I did some sparring as a kid with my brothers, all larger and stronger than myself. I did learn a lot in putting my technique to test during sparring. The word fighting does not actually equate to me as sparring. So I tend to respond to it in the only way I think. When I think of fighting, I am also thinking it is a situation where you can not afford to lose. The cost would be much greater than just being beaten.
    I have a son that is now 43 years of age. I started him at 10 years, and by 21 he was pretty much done. I can not stand up to him any more as he is much stronger and faster. We sparred a lot. But it was not even close to actually fighting. I would never strike him in a way that I could harm him and he would not strike me in such a manner. I considered sport fighting as a young man, but I decided it was not for me. The people that excell at such sports are usually also exceptional, and I am in no way exceptional. Few of us are. And fewer of us will ever become champions of such a sport simply because we are not exceptional.

The state that resembles a middle finger.

Quote:
    2 different environments.

way to answer someone else's post.

my bad uki should have put 3 different environments my sentence structure was a little off. it should have been street/ring/sparring and 3 different environments but my bad didn't look at post after i typed it.

arent you late for your masonic mushroom cult of internal masters meeting for juggling someones balls?
    Last edited by Dragonzbane76; 11-27-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    arent you late for your masonic mushroom cult of internal masters meeting for juggling someones balls?
    is this where one inserts a mom joke?

is this where one inserts a mom joke?
    wouldn't that be original
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

Your avatar sucks dragonzbane. Can't read that dang thing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

eh can't enlarge it... i have it from another forum... it's from Montey python. (holy grail) the rabbit.