Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: circles in the snow.

circles in the snow.

just curious if anyone has any experience walking in circles doing form in the snow.

A GPS will take care of that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I walk outside but not to get too cold or sweaty, thats where you can get invaded by evil wind(at least by Tradtional Chinese Medicine standards).

all in all you should walk on grass, stone, snow, ice, sand, mud, and any other surface to develop your tactile abilities to deal with those surfaces.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas
    Shizi, Jiulong Baguazhang Instructor
    Master Level Dit Da Jow Manufacturer
    New England School of Acupuncture Master's Program

Boston Baguazhang

Combat Iron Palm Iron Vest Training

Boston Baguazhang on Youtube
    IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

info@bostonbaguazhang.com

Part of the "austere" training of Kyokushin is training in the snow, barefooted.

I still hate the snow.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Bagua View Post
    all in all you should walk on grass, stone, snow, ice, sand, mud, and any other surface to develop your tactile abilities to deal with those surfaces.
    in order to make us a more well rounded individual...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Part of the "austere" training of Kyokushin is training in the snow, barefooted.

I still hate the snow.
    And you live in the GREAT WHITE NORTH...

Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas

Boston Baguazhang

IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    just curious if anyone has any experience walking in circles doing form in the snow.
    It's body tempering.. but if you do one of the kinds of bagua that has a specific power training step the snow may not do much good for developing the characteristic leg power of that kind of bagua.

The ice and mud can be good for developing general balance, just like walking on stones or poles.. or the edge of a basket.

You can't practically do the ZeZong Gao step on grass or snow turf and do it right.. unless you willing to shred the lawn and turn your circle into a mud pit. You will rip up the ground. In modern times where most grassy areas should be preserved (cause it's public land or someone's manicured lawn) a nice roughly even concrete or asphalt is the superior surface to get one's grind on.

Concrete holds up better, and you can replace shoes easier than resodding the lawn every week or two. My landlord would be annoyed if I turned his property into a pigpen. I already had to start doing my houtien lines either very light and weak on the lawn or doing them properly on the gravel drive.

I like to do chi kung style circle walking for meditation in the snow though. It's pleasant.
    Last edited by dimethylsea; 12-10-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Quote Originally Posted by dimethylsea View Post
    It's body tempering.. but if you do one of the kinds of bagua that has a specific power training step the snow may not do much good for developing the characteristic leg power of that kind of bagua.

The ice and mud can be good for developing general balance, just like walking on stones or poles.. or the edge of a basket.

You can't practically do the ZeZong Gao step on grass or snow turf and do it right.. unless you willing to shred the lawn and turn your circle into a mud pit. You will rip up the ground. In modern times where most grassy areas should be preserved (cause it's public land or someone's manicured lawn) a nice roughly even concrete or asphalt is the superior surface to get one's grind on.

Concrete holds up better, and you can replace shoes easier than resodding the lawn every week or two. My landlord would be annoyed if I turned his property into a pigpen. I already had to start doing my houtien lines either very light and weak on the lawn or doing them properly on the gravel drive.

I like to do chi kung style circle walking for meditation in the snow though. It's pleasant.
    I had learned circle walking, single and double palm changes for Tim Cartmell a few years ago when I was still living with my parents and I would walk on the grass. Needless to say my mom wasn't too please about it.

concrete is a total no no

be very careful of long term practice on concrete.

Asphalt is different and has a lot of give to it.

Concrete does not and is not good on the joints.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas

Boston Baguazhang

IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

be very careful of long term practice on concrete.

Asphalt is different and has a lot of give to it.

Concrete does not and is not good on the joints.
    Thank you for the input Dale.. but I was thinking I was a non-entity that you were ignoring.

You have no idea what I'm talking about in terms of the specific step and should be mindful of that.

And I won't make categorical statements about how to do Iron Palm or the Jiulong "lineage" mmkay?
    Last edited by dimethylsea; 12-10-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

you want to walk on concrete and ruin your body be my guest. Just trying to keep the real people from being hurt.

And you want to critique my skills, I am more than willing to come to you and cross hands and give you a personal demonstration.

Put up or shut up.

simple really.
    Last edited by Boston Bagua; 12-10-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas

Boston Baguazhang

IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

you want to walk on concrete and ruin your body be my guest. Just trying to keep the real people from being hurt.

And you want to critique my skills, I am more than willing to come to you and cross hands and give you a personal demonstration.

Put up or shut up.

simple really.
    Class Schedule for my class is

2805 Old Fort Parkway
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Wed 8:30 pm, Sun 4:30 pm.

I am always willing to give someone a full account. You slang crap first, I've never had anything to say about you and yours that wasn't complimentary or neutral.
    You don't know the first thing about our methods, just as I know nothing about Iron palm. That's a mutual ignorance.

I do what I do, and I don't do what I don't do. Everyone knows where I am, and I have never turned away someone who needed proof. You wouldn't be the first of a surety. Breaking you would be alot of fun. I'd make sure to keep something to give to your teacher though. Just out of courtesy

Enjoy the method you do bro. I hope it works for you and in time you become the gentleman and scholar your teacher is.
    Last edited by dimethylsea; 12-10-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    -Bi Tianzou -

Acutally I am the gentleman and scholar that my teacher is.

Neither of us can stomach BS, nor people who have no ethics. You have no ethics as been shown to me and many others for your past actions.

I am different in that I will not tolerate fools and will call BS when it shows its foolish head.

Call it the caveman in me.

Lets be honest. You promote a site that sells online lessons in Baguazhang.

Have you ever met your teacher personally? Or have you just communicated with him via the internet? How many times have you been up to his school in Vancouver?

So you are going to break me with your skills learned online? not very likely.

I have traveled to Texas to train with my teacher as well as The Gathering of the Circle annually in upstate New York. I have received in-depth hands on training versus your online education in Baguazhang.

The idea is laughable that real Baguazhang or any martial art can be taught without a teacher present, nor practicing with people who know what they are doing versus a group that has no trained teacher to guide them other than some internet videos.

I will take my personal training over your online training anyday.
    Last edited by Boston Bagua; 12-10-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas

Boston Baguazhang

IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

Hmmm.... all I can say is I really wouldn't want to ever have to fight Dale. He's not only a really big dude (and solid from what I saw, didn't look like any extra soft weight on him) but he's a HIGHLY skilled practitioner on a very combatively oriented Bagua system as well as having some SERIOUS iron-palm abilities.

Oh and....... video or it didn't happen!
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Dale,

Understand this.. I have been doing this for going on 11 years now. And ALL of that time I was doing lots of regular in person training with a variety of teachers. All my original bagua foundation was in person. The filipino martial arts, the jujitsu, the thai, the arnis.. all in person. I was staff at a fighting gym. All that was long before I started upgrading with the distance stuff.
    The simple fact is.. that despite the fact that I could drive to Texas or DC, or even Atlanta (there is good Gao there) I find the quality and credentials of my present information source to be superior to those options, even in person.
    Think about it.. with 10+ years in, lots of full contact experience, access as a "instructor and brother coach" to all the local external schools, my own school ongoing for years with regular students.... I made the call that the better information came from Canada.

Don't get it twisted.. ZeZong didn't make me dangerous. I had that long before I got what I think of as access to the "really good sh*t". I went all over the eastern US. Chicago, DC, VA Beach, NYC. All over. Trained with some amazing people. Had some wonderful times. You should understand that, you may not be someone I like.. but I recognize that you like to train.

But my present teacher has what none of them had, something I want.

We don't encourage people with access to bagua in their area to train online. They should learn in person if possible. But there are people who already had significant backgrounds in bagua and other arts who just weren't satisfied. Kept looking. Kept searching.

I was in a position you were in, are in, or will be in, where I had a school and teaching practice I could affiliate with some big name teacher, work my way onto their seminar circuit and so forth. The guys up the road in Knoxville did that with He JinBao. I could have gone back to Park's people and done that. Or any number of teachers. Lots of people will take my money.

I chose to take myself and my people in the direction that seemed best to me. Something that offered me more than a seminar or two a year's worth of guidance.

You can choose to hate me because I worked my wrath out on DeVere and that's fine.. it was a private quarrel that inflamed alot of people. I p0wned him hard though!

But the distance thing..
    I decided to demote myself and relearn from the beginning. You want to disdain that.. fine. Rock on.
    -Bi Tianzou -