Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with sport fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    That might be indeed a good point. Obviously, I'm not sinking a Fung Ahn Choi into anybody's eye, so there is a certain reservation. We have benign and brutal interpretations of many moves, which allows you to practice the gross skill, without making nasty. So, again, the two are alike in that manner. Sometimes you go easy, sometimes you go harder, fair enough I go a bit more easy these days, I feel the speed draining away Its not so much about me, but how to pass on the goods.
    I think the notion of "passing on the goods" is one of those TMA fallacies. You don't pass anything on. If -- and a BIG "if" when in comes to TMA -- you have some fighting skills, you can help someone learn them but you are not "passing it on" (or, do you think when you teach your kid to ride a bike that you are "passing it on"?).

Again, it comes down to a mindfullness and the training towards that.
    Martial art or fighting is no different than any other athletic activity in terms of how we learn and develop skill.

Iron Eagle,
    We had a thread where everybody pretty much agreed that their street fights had been not a fraction as tough as their sport fights.

As potentially dangerous as they may be, in practical terms, they were not as difficult, of course, somebody gets an a$$ whopping somewhere and doesn't enjoy it.

I certainly am not dissing any grappling. I'm just not a grappler, even if I try to integrate what I do know when the need arises.
    That's sort of like saying, I'm not a swimmer but I try to integrate what I do know when the need arises (I find myself in the water).

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    I want to know where the hell some of you live that you get jumped walking down the street so much. "Teh street", the mere mention of it strikes fear into the hearts of even the strongest men. Where glass, ****, vomit, and HIV infected needles are scattered about for grapplers to instantly die upon impact once they touch it

Oh, teh deadly street. Foolish is the one who knows not the deadly sins that it casts upon those so unlucky to feel it's wrath. I just nearly sh*it myself at the mere mention of it. So, to all you street fighters out there, you know, the ones who do nothing but forms, eye pokes, and the uber deadly testicle molesting rip, here it to you and all the dangerous glory you bask in
    Do you live on the set of roadhouse where everyone gets in a good ol bar fight every night?? Hehehe. I mean seriously, unless you go out looking to fight then chances are any fight you encounter will be a self defense scenario. That is unless its at class, in the cage, or at a tournament.... then its all sport fighting

Hi J_mehoff,

You seem to have taken a personal interest in me, I'm honoured.

So, we know you have a problem with metaphores and a rather ineffective ability to restate the obvious to compliment poor reading comprehension.

Likewise, we know you're a Wing Chun washout that thinks they finally discovered the wheel when they took some MMA lessons.

Hey, sorry you wasted 20 years of your life learning some cr@p that left you bitter and twisted. I've seen how tragically those old Bruce Lee fantasies die, its heartbreaking.

Just don't take it out on me.

Glad you finally discovered the wheel, at least, even if it did take 20 years.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I look at it like a sword fight, domination and crease. Attack the attack and cut hard until there is no sense in cutting any further, or you fall, cut yourself.
    On the above point alone, there is a certain historical Japanese figure who wrote a tome on this, and seems to agree.
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Lai See View Post
    On the above point alone, there is a certain historical Japanese figure who wrote a tome on this, and seems to agree.
    I concur.
    ley ho hing dai.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I think the notion of "passing on the goods" is one of those TMA fallacies. You don't pass anything on. If -- and a BIG "if" when in comes to TMA -- you have some fighting skills, you can help someone learn them but you are not "passing it on" (or, do you think when you teach your kid to ride a bike that you are "passing it on"?).

Martial art or fighting is no different than any other athletic activity in terms of how we learn and develop skill.

That's sort of like saying, I'm not a swimmer but I try to integrate what I do know when the need arises (I find myself in the water).
    For my part, I think you have this a bit upside down.
    'Fighting' per se is almost literally nothing whatsoever to do with martial art(s).
    Can we agree on this? We don't really need to go down the long and winding road that is definition, nor do we need to irk each other in regard to semantics. Things are as they are. A spade is a spade. We are adults.
    From this perspective then, Chinese teachers traditionally saw the teaching of their arts as passing on skills. So, taken from this angle one does 'pass something on'.
    I have taught many people many differing things in my life, from martial arts to snowboarding to playing the guitar to metallurgy. From the perspective of my limited but real experiences and without the rose tints on, I can see that this 'passing on' rings true. It may sound a bit like Shaw Brothers hogwash and I can see why one would therefore assume. Assumption though eh?

Serious question, have you ever actually taught a child to ride a bike?

George Xu on his biggest mistakes, sparring and sport fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ-v2mXqkg4

P.S. he also talks about some of what's wrong with CMA.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 12-11-2009 at 03:44 AM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Lai See View Post
    'Fighting' per se is almost literally nothing whatsoever to do with martial art(s).

I may be misunderstanding this sentence, but....
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    I may be misunderstanding this sentence, but....
    Hard for me to say what your interpretation of my sentence is !!

Perhaps you could expand on your confusion.