Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MMA on broadcast network TV

Top 10 Strikeforce KO's

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

More EliteXC fallout

I was wondering where those EliteXC fighters were going. I should have guessed this was the situation.

Fighters Seek Freedom From EliteXC Through MMAFA
    January 13, 2009

MMAPayout.com has learned that a number of the fighters being held in limbo by the ProElite/EliteXC sale will seek to bring their case against the fight promotion collectively, under the auspices of the Mixed Martial Artists Fighters’ Association. The group of fighters have sought from the promotion confirmation that their duties and obligations to EliteXC have been released and terminated. The fighters (via the Mixed Martial Arts Fighters’ Association) have forwarded a draft of complaint to EliteXC officials and, without such acknowledgment of their release within a specified time period, will file the complaint in open court on behalf of its’ members.

The genesis of the group complaint was the collective action by multiple agents in the industry to block the sale of fighter contracts by Showtime/CBS at auction in early November. Sources indicate to MMAPayout.com that a subset of that group of agents have banded together with their fighters and MMAFA in an attempt to expedite the the contractual status of the fighters still beholden to EliteXC.

While freedom from their contracts seems to be the overarching theme of the collective action, a by product of the suit could be to force a swift conclusion to the sale of ProElite. The company has been on the market with rumored interest from the UFC, Affliction, King of the Cage, and Strikeforce in attaining its assets. The crown jewels of the company are seen to be the fighter contracts and TV deals that are in place. A deal for the company’s assets has been thought to be in the works, but whatever parties involved in the deal have dithered away at the EliteXC fighter’s detriment. The action by MMAFA seems to force the hand of what ever negotiations are taking place.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I was just told about Bellator and NBC

I went to search for more info, and found this.
    Comcast To Buy NBC: Somewhere, Dana White Is Smiling
    by E. Spencer Kyte
    Written on December 03, 2009

See that chair Dana White is sitting in?

Feel free to consider it the "Driver's Seat," because with the impending acquisition of NBC Universal by Comcast , the network television deal the UFC has long been searching for might come looking for them and White could potentially get to name his price.

Somewhere, Dana White is smiling.

While the New York Times' coverage of the pending mega-deal focuses on Comcast's potential plans to make Versus into an ESPN alternative, they miss out on the MMA part of the story.

With the WEC having recently re-upped with Versus, there is a strong likelihood that Comcast would be hesitant to rip up a deal before the ink is even dry. Given that the eventual Comcast-NBC amalgamation will be the home of both Bellator and the WEC, outlets looking to get a share of the Mixed Martial Arts pie could begin lining up for a chance to score the biggest slice of them all.

For fans, the possibility is there for MMA to gain a stronger television presence. The WEC has routinely been one of the biggest ratings successes on Versus and the influx of NBC brand power could certainly give the lighter fighters the time in the spotlight they have long deserved.

As great as that sounds—and it sounds fantastic—it's the current availability of the UFC that is really intriguing.

Imagine the NBA or Major League Baseball not having a network television deal.

Now image the battle royal that would certainly ensue if suddenly everyone wanted to get in on the action and broadcast either sport directly into your living room with regularity.

It'd be like a group of multi-millionaires all bidding on the same country estate; the price would just keep going up and up and up.

That country estate is the UFC and the multi-millionaires are ESPN, Fox, and the new kid in town, Comcast-NBC.

Combine the emergence of the sport with the availability of the biggest brand in the business, and there is a chance we'll see a serious bidding war sometime in 2010 for a UFC network deal, and Dana White will be in the "Driver's Seat."

Wherever he is, there is a smile on his face...and rightfully so.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart