Quote Originally Posted by DragonSeeksPath View Post
Hey guys. I've always wanted to know this. I'm about 6'5, or 6'6''--last time I checked and a little slim. Will my height become a hindrance to Hung-Gar? There's a Kung-Fu school way out from where I live in South Carolina. Some of the guys I've seen are a bit shorter and might make it hard for me to spar them. Any thoughts?
Being tall shouldnt matter in your kung fu, because no matter what style you learn you have to adapt it to your size and strengths. And even when you do spar with shorter people it is a good thing for both of you because you will each have different heights, strengths, speeds, etc to work with and overcome. If anyone tells you that you are too big, or too small even, for that art then they are not very knowledgable. Kung fu is for everyone. In the real world you never know if the attacker wil be twice your size or half your size, so training those ways is a benefit. Im 6'2" 160 lbs myself and have trained with people taller than me, people twice my weight, and even women a foot shorter than me. I apply my techniques to that specific person, whether im lifting an arm higher, lowering it, able to take there force, or having to change position so that their force doesnt overwhelm me.