Thread: tailor made?

tailor made?

serious question: in your opinion do you think that certain martial arts were designed with the smaller framed person in mind? i.e., we've all heard the legend that wing chun was created by/for a woman that would allow her to defeat larger and potentially stronger opponents. problem here is, i'm one of the larger and 'potentially stronger' types. will wc be more difficult for me to learn because of this? i'm just using wc as an example by the way, certainly not intending to limit this discussion to wc. are there MA that are 'tailor made' for larger people? that capitalize on our inherant strengths? any input is appreciated and welcome.

What you need is Kong-fu !
    study their special form ' Si Daun chuan'
    where you learn how to crush your opponent beneath your buttocks.

No brag, just fact.

I think it's perfectly ridiculous to assume that an art isn't effective due to body type.

Boxers and wrestlers, judoka, bjjers, come in all different shapes and sizes. Many people with totally different sets of abilities have been successful in each, but still using that system's framework to construct their own personal style.

We have an ex gymnast that trades on mobility, speed and an uncanny sense of balance. I trade on pressure, control and my base from wrestling.

Good is Good. Learn to maximize your own natural potential within your system's framework.

grey mistik

To answer your first question Wing Chun IS a female. She was a nun and that was her name it was not made up to cater to females.
    Your second question is a little harder to answer for it really depends on the individual, however realize that different styles place different emphasis on certain things , like agility and power and speed. So if one is slow but strong a style like mantis would not be the best type of stlye to learn becuse mantis utilizes speed and agility and swiftness, however hung gar uses power and strength so it would cater to a bigger guy. I have all shapes and sizes for students but I do see that the skinnyer guys move more smoothly than the bigger guys. but that is not to say that with more practice that the bigger guys wont surpass the smaller ones. Think of football faster guys play differernt postions on the field for a reason.......
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Wing Chun....

Was a women who didnt want to get married, Ng Mui was a nun.
    As for having to be small to learn it, absolutely not, it is just an art designed to be effective for small people. We have a guy in my WC class that is about 6'2" and around 250-260lbs, and he does just fine (rooting drills with this guy is like pushing on a brick wall! I am pretty sure he fell asleep last time him and I were doing our drills!)
    I am not a small guy, about 6', 210 lbs and I really enjoy the art. It is about direct and structural straight line power not 'small' power.
    I would think this extends to other arts in that they weren't necesarily built just for small people and even if they were, my sifu always says to take your art and make it yours.......