Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: getting offended and your martial art

Confuscious once said

there is no contest for gentlements

maybe only on shooting arrows.

I mean just do your stuff.

no need to get offended by others comment.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    Confuscious once said

Now, that is a good post, and the picture ain't bad either.

HW108

PS. By the way, if any of the "progressive" MMA/cross training lot are reading this and are confused, let me just say that Confuscious was a Chinese philosopher and he is in no way related to Ken Shamrock or the Gracies....

Apathy: Ruining communities since time immemorial.

If you have nothing invested in communication here, why bother coming?

Seriously people, if you don't care, why are you here?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Apathy: Ruining communities since time immemorial.

If you have nothing invested in communication here, why bother coming?

Seriously people, if you don't care, why are you here?
    many people are here simply during a slow work load at their jobs or they glance at the board when they have a bit of free time

to put it simply they are bored and they come here to kill a little bit of time

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    many people are here simply during a slow work load at their jobs or they glance at the board when they have a bit of free time

to put it simply they are bored and they come here to kill a little bit of time
    You care so little about MA, eh?
    That's cool, just don't be part of the problem then.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Goju, if you care so little or are so indifferent, why the "meet up" with that shaolin-do guy?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You care so little about MA, eh?
    That's cool, just don't be part of the problem then.
    i only care about my art and what i do with it

what anyone else chooses to do is their own thing

why? well apparently quite a few high ranking SD guys were supposed to come down here to "kick my ass" for my view on sd but for all the posturing the only guy who came to visit was a nice gentleman who didnt have a bad thing to say about me

we had a friendly sparring match and we shook hands and left after it was done

i dont see the meet up with him as anything really ive said before if anyone on this board is in my area and wants to spar /meet up feel free to let me know

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    Confuscious once said

Man...did I enter this thread with perfect timing!!!! I think I'm going to take up Archery as a hobby.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

i only care about my art and what i do with it

what anyone else chooses to do is their own thing

why? well apparently quite a few high ranking SD guys were supposed to come down here to "kick my ass" for my view on sd but for all the posturing the only guy who came to visit was a nice gentleman who didnt have a bad thing to say about me

we had a friendly sparring match and we shook hands and left after it was done

i dont see the meet up with him as anything really ive said before if anyone on this board is in my area and wants to spar /meet up feel free to let me know
    So you DO care, about your art AND about what others say about you on the net.

So you DO care, about your art AND about what others say about you on the net.
    if that was the case i would be flying all over the us and canada for gong sau lol

i dont care i have no problem with what some one thinks of my abilities or skill i know im good and ive had professional mma coaches tell me im skilled as well so when some random poster who ive never met or know anything about questions my abilities i can assure you im hardly offended

and ive noticed when ive read through old threads that this forum has had alot of challenge matches between these type of posters who claim to be skilled and rag on others for their supposed lack of it

and not suprisingly they just stood on the same thread arguing for pages and never met up though they agreed too

if that was the case i would be flying all over the us and canada for gong sau lol

i dont care i have no problem with what some one thinks of my abilities or skill i know im good and ive had professional mma coaches tell me im skilled as well so when some random poster who ive never met or know anything about questions my abilities i can assure you im hardly offended

and ive noticed when ive read through old threads that this forum has had alot of challenge matches between these type of posters who claim to be skilled and rag on others for their supposed lack of it

and not suprisingly they just stood on the same thread arguing for pages and never met up though they agreed too
    There were a few meet-ups over the many MA forums, most were civil, some where not, all showed that people cared about their MA and to an erroneous extent at times, their reputation.
    Something that the MA masters of old that so many admire, shared in common.

Something that the MA masters of old that so many admire, shared in common.
    most civilian martial arts was never taken seriously by the chinese military
    sumting to think about
    Last edited by bawang; 02-26-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    most civilian martial arts was never taken seriously by the chinese military
    sumting to think about
    Anyone that has ever served and fought knows why.
    Most civilian MA do NOT address the battlefield, why would they?

Anyone that has ever served and fought knows why.
    i never know what it is like and never will. its very easy for people to think war is cool. same with ancient china maybe
    Most civilian MA do NOT address the battlefield, why would they?
    because all martial art is supposed to adress the battlefield. civilian kung fu comes from the ming militia system for civilian self defence. it failed

for the elite army in fujian the heart of southern kung fu, general qijiguang trained them northern martial arts
    Last edited by bawang; 02-26-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

If i may humbly add my .02, i guess for me it's all about how not only how i react to something but if i allow something (in this case something said/typed/implied) to cause a reaction.

I've never "gotten into it" with anyone here to a level that would warrant ruffled feathers or fisticuffs. At least not on my part. I'm here for exchanges of ideas, stories, and concepts with varied and diverse minds and pesonalities.

In any group there are antagonists, cynics, diffusers and confusers as well as helpful, mature, civil and pleasant folks. I'm just at a point in my life where i can't walk around offended or insulted by internet fu(kery. As far as all the flaming and insults and endless back and forth around here about some of the most trivial stuff..meh, it usually takes two to keep that going. And i think people just like to argue. So be it. Have at it. I may read, but i more than likely won't.

I'm a native NYer and when i moved to VA years ago, i used to get highly offended when i saw confederate flags. Once it did lead to fisticuffs, but that was in younger/dumber days. No matter how insulted or emotional i get, someone else will not be and it's a free country so fly whatever flag you want. Of course i had to condition myself to not be offended by educating myself about it and rising above the situation.

As far as gung fu, there has been some internal/political bs in my style for years. Heck, it was there before i came into the fold. But i would rather rise above the situation, be my own man and maybe a diplomat at the same time. If others harbor feelings or emotions, so be it. Now what? Maybe i'm naive (though i didn't make it to 41 being a dolt) or mistakenly seeming indifferent, which is worse than extreme hate or love, but bull**** talk by anonymous or semi-anonymous peeps about my style or skill level might earn them a gas face or a middle finger, but other than that...it is what it is.(sorry to use an already oversused cliche.

All in all, i try to glean useful info from here and maybe meet and network with other MA's. I used to frequent here alot but got tired of the 1bad65, fox and whoever else was keeping that crap going. Now i check in once or twice a week and only speak if i feel i can offer something. I just choose not to wade through the pages and pages of e-insults and mouth battles. Though every once in a while there is some funny **** said. Sorry to write so much.
    no matter how many times the ball bounces, there's still no bones in ice cream...