Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pak Mei......

Question Pak Mei......

Does it have throwing tech?

yes.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

throwing techniques

well ykm has plenty, so i suppose baak mmmmmeeeeei does!

It's got everything, throws, breaks, lethal striking and a lot of internal. The more I go deeper into the internal arts, I look back on the short run I had with the Bak Mei system and am convinced its founder had studied Taiji or some other internal art.

Its forms are done with a more external flavor, but the one form I will do now and then is Chik Pu, a masterpiece. Everything is in that one short, simple form.

I have two students now, its the only form that I will teach because its simple, done in a straight line, turn around and do it coming back. At a lower level it looks like a lot of striking, medium level a lot of breaks, later, man, everything is just death on a stick with Bak Mei.

Bak Mei is a great system.
    Stillness in the heart of motion.

Pak Mei's creator didn't neccesarily study Tai Chi. There are dozens of little known style that are internal, not just 3. I've been creating a list of styles that are supposed to be internal. I'll post it soon.

Anyway thanx for your info.

Do you know anything about Kwong Man Fong who teaches out in NY
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

taiji

well pak mei has daoist pholosphy so it may seem to be similar to taiji. maybe taiji is similar to bak mei..hehehehe

Leonidas-

I met Kwong Man Fong, a long time ago in NYC. I forgot how to spell his name until i found the website.

So is he a good teacher? I'm still deciding between him and another instructor that i know has a good reputation. My only probelm so far is that classes are only held twice a week.

According to legend Bak Mei studied at O-mei. O-mei has several internal systems very different to Taiji.
    I only know one set of Bak Mei (sup ji), but I must say there are some things that are very similar to Taiji.
    Internal systems off the top of my head:
    Taijiquan (Chen,Yang,Wu,Hao,Sun)
    Bagua
    Xingyi
    Bajiquan
    Piguazhang
    Wujiquan
    LiuheBafa (which incidentally has movements that look very Bak Mei)
    Six Harmonies Mantis
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Bak Mei is a great system.

I've never heard anything about Kwong Man Fong.

My sifu was saying that he only knew of one Bak Mei teacher in New York and he doesn't (or didn't) teach non-chinese.

Leonidas-

What other bak mei teacher are you looking at?

At the time there were only 3 ppl. teach bak mei in NYC. Master Kwong kungfu is very good; so is Master Chen.

Good luck

I was looking into another style really. I was thinking of Su Yu Chang's school specifically to learn Pakuazhang. Of course he also teaches Tai Ji, Xingyi, Bajiquan, Pikuazhang and Tanglang, but i have no interest in those styles right now save for Tai Ji which i already found a teacher for but decided to go with something else (for now atleast). I even mapped out the schools to decide by location but their only a mile apart so i'm going with Pak Mei. It's something different so i'm gonna try it. (Geez its hard to make a decision with so many choices...........A burden and blessing at the same time.)

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-31-2001 at 11:20 AM.

He teaches beginners right. I read what i think is some BS about how it's a sifu's art and can only be learned by Masters of another style since it's "so difficult" . How will 20 years of something totally different help me learn quicker?

Sounds like you haven't been down to check out the Bak Mei school yet? I'd be curious to know what you think of it when you do.

that sifu thing is bogus.

I'm planning to real soon. I'm gonna wait a month though. I'm trying to start on my birthday for some reason. I think that sifu's art thing is delusions of granduer. Or the teacher was just really bad