Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu, USSD and new gym

Thanks for the author's name. As to shoes, see my post above. By arch support, I really mean support. When you have no arch, it becomes very painful to just walk or stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    The author's name is Danny Dreyer or something like that very close. What you will like is that it is he and his wife walking together... and the pictures of the correct posture is of his wife, Kathleen I think. So you have no problem "interpreting" the photo about/of how the hips are tucked under and the chin is back to straighten the spine and neck. Then he shows photos and sketches of how to step off the back foot with balance and strength.... A picture is worth a thousand words! And I have found letting my students take it home for a week or two greatly helps their posture.

And you said....

"...so now I basically have flat feet that causes quite a bit of pain with no arch support. So vans and such are out - although I know from research that the flat shoes are good in training."

Well, I don't know about ladies styles.. but my ma (martial arts) shoes are Vans. I wear them because they have the arch support I need, which is not available in most flat sole shoes. Do get some good, well-made brand of flat sole shoe tho, if you don't get a "regular" ma shoe. The reason I don't wear my ma shoes is because they're too narrow for my fat foot, and I had to order a 1/2 size larger to get'em on - so they're looonnngggg.

anytime...

You're welcome!
    .... Skip

ive really enjoyed adidas rio grande good arch support here... but i like to practice in what i generally wear on a day to day basis though too. these are in door soccer shoes.

Similarly, Asics Onitsuka: Tigers are very nice shoes. also indoor soccer shoes:

those both have reinforced leather caps internally on the heel and toe. you can actually toe kick with the tip without hurting your toes as they are designed for that. you can hit with the back of your heel on a brick wall with moderate force and not hurt yourself. they also offer basic CMA matt shoes as well. some cool yin/yang designs.

I have seen some nice Pumas out there that ive wanted but havt picked any up.

Look into a company called Li Ning, some nice kungfu / tai chi shoes. sturdy, well made, and some flash if you like. 60 bucks or so. a store opened locally and i looked at their shoes. very good stuff, ill be buying a pair of their modern kungfu shoes soon.

there is always tried and true feiyue, although dont expect arch support here.
    Last edited by Lucas; 03-15-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

cool shoes!!!

Hey Lucas; that's some nice looking shoes there!

At least with American sizes I would have a better chance of fitting my fat foot.

Thanks!
    .... Skip

hey Skip;

haha ya. i have a more narrow foot, ive found those brands tend to run on the narrow side, which helps me out. its difficult when the shoe is too wide, it wants to slide or roll up to the side too much.

part of me wants to train in combat boots
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

hey thanks! I looked into feiyue but yeah no arch support. I'll take a look at the brands/types you've mentioned.

the rio grandes i have (3 pairs) all have high arch support. not sure if its just what my local shop had in stock or if they are all like that. even after time the arch support has stayed firm.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    What does his mean??? I realize that BB spar with lower belts, so???I belonged to this school/ organization for 15 + years , how long were you there?? Back somewhere in the mid 90s they made it MANDITORY in BB Glove sparring that you HAD to wear headgear at all the CSCs run by the Soards, were you a black belt?? Did you do BB Glove Sparring?? How long were you there????
    you inferred that i didnt know the bbs used head gear and gloves during sparring because i didnt waste my money buying a blackbelt from your mc'dojo organization.

please dont try to snub your nose at me because i didnt get a high rank . its already widely known what laughing stock sd is in the chinese commmunity and especially how easy it is to get a bb from the csc XD

the bb class started right before the lower belt class so all of us got to frequently watch the high ranking belts spar (ungloved with out head gear) and as i said they never had us lower belts spar either with head gear during any time i attended the boulder or denver schools

your notion that they had to adopt protection due to the all the concussions that were occuring is laughable at best

takes down and throws were practically non existent in the sparring and as you can see by that video they do not go remotely close to hard continuous sparring nor do they even commonly target the head.

so please do enlighten us as to how all these concussions were happening during class ?
    Last edited by goju; 03-15-2010 at 03:00 PM.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Most likely........For the most part it was screwing around ...and pathetic. I remember back in the day....well you know what I mean, I heard stories for years about how bad @$$ the students were back east and how much conditioning they did and all of that, I remember when the CSCs run by the Soards were somewhat like that.....now its all about how many forms you can learn
    well theres proof right there stories you heard

Awesome, surely the internet can find 'em! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    the rio grandes i have (3 pairs) all have high arch support. not sure if its just what my local shop had in stock or if they are all like that. even after time the arch support has stayed firm.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    you inferred that i didnt know the bbs used head gear and gloves during sparring because i didnt waste my money buying a blackbelt from your mc'dojo organization.

please dont try to snub your nose at me because i didnt get a high rank . its already widely known what laughing stock sd is in the chinese commmunity and especially how easy it is to get a bb from the csc XD

the bb class started right before the lower belt class so all of us got to frequently watch the high ranking belts spar (ungloved with out head gear) and as i said they never had us lower belts spar either with head gear during any time i attended the boulder or denver schools

your notion that they had to adopt protection due to the all the concussions that were occuring is laughable at best

takes down and throws were practically non existent in the sparring and as you can see by that video they do not go remotely close to hard continuous sparring nor do they even commonly target the head.

so please do enlighten us as to how all these concussions were happening during class ?
    BB glove sparring goes on once a year for a month , I was not refering to regular class, but if you knew anything you would have known what I meant.......Now I remember why I stopped having conversations with you......you are an idiot
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 03-15-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    well theres proof right there stories you heard
    ??? BTW ......I didnt mean Denver back east, I meant SD / Kentucky back east....dumb@$$
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 03-15-2010 at 05:12 PM.

BB glove sparring goes on once a year for a month , I was not refering to regular class, but if you knew anything you would have known what I meant.......Now I remember why I stopped having conversations with you......your an idiot
    Oh good lord what a load of rubbish.

As the fellow before stated what was the point of the protection? they never had light feeling out sparring ever while i was there.they just told us to spar and that was it. There were no "okay go 60 percent guys" or lets do a "light round"

The notion that they had this special sparring with gloves only to do this pathetic pitter patter training makes your claims even more rediculous.

"your an idiot"

it is "you're " genius
    Last edited by goju; 03-15-2010 at 05:46 PM.

??? BTW ......I didnt mean Denver back east, I meant SD / Kentucky back east....dumb@$$
    yeah.. i never thought you meant denver as being back east

Yawn....

you are so predictable......

you are and idiot....my mistake