Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Techniques that you have never used

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Best in what terms? Damage, keeping the opponent at a distance etc... Just curious.
    Best as in "most effective."

You might kick harder using something else, but the Teep creates a safe striking distance by means of the foot extension and torso leaning back and has significant stopping power without compromising your defense or balance.

In my opinion.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    That looks like a "toe push kick" by using the "ball" of the foot instead of the "heel" of the foot as the contact point.

The "toe push kick" has much more reach than the "heel kick" (not talking about spin heel kick here). The straight line "heel kick" just seems to me a bit too short in reaching.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-18-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    That's still "toe push kick".

That looks like a "toe push kick" by using the "ball" of the foot instead of the "heel" of the foot as the contact point.

The "toe push kick" has much more reach than the "heel kick" (not talking about spin heel kick here). The straight line "heel kick" just seems to me a bit too short in reaching.
    You're right. I was just being contrarian.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

That's still "toe push kick".
    I wasn't disagreeing...just thought the clip was better than a picture.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Regarding push kicks etc, I was pleasantly surprised when I did a stamping/stomping kick with the heel once in sparring when I thought my opponent was in too high a stance, and it knocked him right down on his ass. I aimed it to the centre of his chest and stamped down with the whole foot, and he fell straight down. Actually thinking about this, the guy was probably a bit shorter than me too.

I'm not sure whether I'd do it again though unless the opponent is really in too high a guard, and open for it. Someone would probably catch my leg and dump me. But it surprised me by its effectiveness at that time. A ball of the foot kick wouldn't have been able to do this I think, and would push back rather than down.

Oh, and to keep the topic on this thread, I have never really used a head kick, at least without dropping someone's head to a lower position first. This is partly because my old training partner was much taller than me.

I have never used an eye poke on someone either, but ban shou (slapping with the back of the fingers) works rather well when targeted at the eyes in a real situation.
    Last edited by Sima Rong; 03-18-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    A ball of the foot kick wouldn't have been able to do this I think, and would push back rather than down.
    I use the teep with the ball of the foot to the body a lot..but I like to use my heel to the legs...a little safer against the shins and knees and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Best front push kick is a "teep," where you extend your toes and hit with the ball of the foot. It's highly effective to the midsection and below.

As for your back kick description, I don't recommened kicking at anything you can't see.
    You see with your eyes only?

So he's doing basically what the girl in the first pic was doing. Swing the foot up to target. Not really a heel kick.

We get power and reach from the front heel kick by bringing the knee up to chest and stamping forward with the heel while turning the kicking side forward and jamming the hip forward. The kick has a strong linear vector, not arcing up.

It's a fundamental TCMA kick. YKW, you don't like it?

Easy fast combo is jab, cross, front heel kick. Do it like running into attack. The kick is part of the run, and you smash forward into his chest and continue forward with followup attacks. Easy to overrun the person that way. We like run in with low round kick after the front kick.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post

We get power and reach from the front heel kick by bringing the knee up to chest and stamping forward with the heel while turning the kicking side forward and jamming the hip forward. The kick has a strong linear vector, not arcing up.
    Your description is more or less the difference between thrust kicking and snap kicking. Either style can substitute ball or heel, depending on preference and situation. Snap kick can also use the instep.

I think they all have their time and place.

Your description is more or less the difference between thrust kicking and snap kicking. Either style can substitute ball or heel, depending on preference and situation. Snap kick can also use the instep.

I think they all have their time and place.
    Yep.

But Praying Mantis teaches that kick as a thrust kick. A power kick that is set up or hidden by a speed technique. And the reach is made up by the hip turn and thrust.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    You see with your eyes only?
    Head leads the body. Leave the no-look gimmicks to Kempo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    It's a fundamental TCMA kick. YKW, you don't like it?
    IMO, the "heel kick" is like the side kick, it's easier to get caught on the ankle. This is the same as standing in cat stance will have less chance to be swept than standing in 7 star stance.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9...ughtankle1.jpg

In my longfist system, when we have reached to the intermediate level, we start to develop our toes push kick as our bread and butter move as shown at 0.45 in the following clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLnVHNGsSno

The toes push kick has

- longer reach,
    - less impact area (more force per square inch),
    - harder to catch (as long as your ankle is not caught, you can always pull it back), and
    - since your always lean your body back, it's safter to use it to deal with incoming head punches.

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/3853/mayintu.jpg

I did see the old man used the heel kick to force his challenger to move back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75EKW...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-18-2013 at 11:03 PM.

IMO, the "heel kick" is like the side kick, it's easier to get caught on the ankle. This is the same as standing in cat stance will have less chance to be swept than standing in 7 star stance.
    Sure, if you just look at isolated movements.

But that is like saying a cross is easy to catch or wrap than a jab. That's why each element of a good combination sets up for the maximum advantage and minimum disadvantage of the next move.

Nobody should be standing in cat stance or seven star stance. Unless their name is Daniel-San and their teacher is Mr. Miyagi.

Purely transitional positions that last less than a tenth of a second as you are starting to kick, knee, leg trap, run in, etc. That's why in Chinese, it is called "step" and not "stance".

But toe kick is good too.

Your teacher's classmate at Nan Jing Academy included front heel kick when he taught San Da.