Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are we here?

Here is the issue.
    This is a MA forum and this forum in particular is about WC.
    People come here to discuss WC and how THEY view WC.
    Its not about right or wrong as much as "my way, your way, they way I was taught" etc.
    People need to realize that someone doing something different doesn't mean they are right and you are wrong, it means they are doing something different.
    It doesn't matter what ANYONE else has done or is doing, it matters what WE can do.
    Many arguments start when our precsious bubble is under attack and someone dares to say "prove it", or "show me" and as MA that shouldn't happen because MA is ALL in the DOING and very little in the saying/writing.
    Yes, it is NOT necessary for every thread to degrade to the point of "MMA vs WC", but the fact is, at this stage right now, MMA is what ALL other MA are compared to.
    Don't like?
    Make a statement like the MA of yesteryears did, Fight to prove you are right.

Most of us are very content to exchange POV about WC or any other MA we have experience in, without trying to convert the masses to any particular MA.

In the end we are all victims of our experiences and upbring in out chosen MA(s) and as such we have all inherent biasis in favour of what we prefer to do and that is OK, we just have to acknowledge it.

My only true issue on this forum and any other is those that DON'T "prove" any of their assertions.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sihing73 could the name I am looking for be WhippingHand? The whip has not been seen for ages. Sorry about the old memory. Vic, Duende thanks.

JP after rereading I understand what you are saying. I wasn't saying anything about HFY just pointing out that the HFY discussions from 5 or 6 years ago or so was the most egregious example of what I was referring too. May have been even further back than that. Again the time when negative forum developed is when the most vocal WCML folks migrated here.

Those who were not here before that time sadly can't relate to what I am saying those that were know exactly what I am talking about.

TN doing something that is enjoyable for you, indulges your basic nature and fills your psychological needs does not mean it is at all enjoyable or productive for others and is selfish. While I agree with many things you say I do not agree with your absolutist way of doing so.

For example I do not agree with Vic as to the need of adding boxing to WC for long range effectiveness. My experience is different however that does not make me right and Vic wrong. If I had his experience and knowledge I may have come to the same opinion as he holds.

You accuse Vic of training with scrubs. Unless you have trained with them how can you know. Perhaps you train with scrubs and his lowest partner could wipe the floor with everyone you know. Your exp does not make Vic or anyone else wrong. Their exp is equally valid.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
    Sihing73 could the name I am looking for be WhippingHand? The whip has not been seen for ages. Sorry about the old memory. Vic, Duende thanks.
    I thoght you might of been talking about Whippinghand! I enjoyed his posts too!

I've noticed some people are here to get other's goats. In a way, this is justifiable because it exposes one of "your" martial art's weakness. If you can master the "Goat Getter" technique, you are miles ahead.

And if we can ignore it...it's even better.

Whippinghand

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    I thoght you might of been talking about Whippinghand! I enjoyed his posts too!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me too!

joy chaudhuri

My notes on portions of Sanjuro's post in brackets

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Here is the issue.

(Let's see..ok?))

This is a MA forum and this forum in particular is about WC.

(True dat)

People come here to discuss WC and how THEY view WC.

(Some apparently do some apparently don't)

Its not about right or wrong as much as "my way, your way, they way I was taught" etc.
    People need to realize that someone doing something different doesn't mean they are right and you are wrong, it means they are doing something different.
    It doesn't matter what ANYONE else has done or is doing, it matters what WE can do.

(True dat)

Many arguments start when our precsious bubble is under attack and someone dares to say "prove it", or "show me" and as MA that shouldn't happen because MA is ALL in the DOING and very little in the saying/writing.

((There is no "doing" on a forum. There can be different venues where things are "done"))

Yes, it is NOT necessary for every thread to degrade to the point of "MMA vs WC", but the fact is, at this stage right now, MMA is what ALL other MA are compared to.

((Depends- by whom, where and when and to whom))

Don't like?
    Make a statement like the MA of yesteryears did, Fight to prove you are right.

(Fighting ona forum? just words here. Make a statement? Sure---just dont repeat put downs again and again-gets botinng and becomes noise fast)

Most of us are very content to exchange POV about WC or any other MA we have experience in, without trying to convert the masses to any particular MA.

((Actually there is less exchange- more self adulation))

In the end we are all victims of our experiences and upbring in out chosen MA(s) and as such we have all inherent biasis in favour of what we prefer to do and that is OK, we just have to acknowledge it.

(This ain't a confessional booth))

My only true issue on this forum and any other is those that DON'T "prove" any of their assertions.
    ((Prove in a written forum?))

((I don't suggest banning anyone. I do suggest moderator(s) 1. cut out posts with purely personal attacks 2. from time to tome suggest brevity and clarify and avoid repetition 3. and keep posts wc related or comparisons involving wc and point to other forums on mma, street fighting, other arts, the general forum etc. People sign in and sign out on this forum- it's a traveling caravan-keep the traffic basically moving- censorship is NOT a big issue as Master Killer pointed out- this ain't a democracy))

joy chaudhuri

One of the ways these problems were handled at another forum was to set a policy of tell us what you do.. Which means essentially not to tell anyone what they do suks, is BS, etc.. So folks could say, well instead of that we do this..

Pretty simple--any derogatory commentary was deleted...or if repeated banning could ensue..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ((Prove in a written forum?))

((I don't suggest banning anyone. I do suggest moderator(s) 1. cut out posts with purely personal attacks 2. from time to tome suggest brevity and clarify and avoid repetition 3. and keep posts wc related or comparisons involving wc and point to other forums on mma, street fighting, other arts, the general forum etc. People sign in and sign out on this forum- it's a traveling caravan-keep the traffic basically moving- censorship is NOT a big issue as Master Killer pointed out- this ain't a democracy))

joy chaudhuri
    Thanks for your views on my post Joy.
    In the southern forum, where I moderate, I do just that.
    Any PERSONAL attacks are deleted and posters are warned, but that is MY moderating style and not every ones.
    I will sometimes remove PARTS of a post and leave the others intact because we can all make a point without calling someone an idiot, or whatnot.
    Of course one can just IGNORE the posters that one feels contribute NOTHING to the discussion.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    One of the ways these problems were handled at another forum was to set a policy of tell us what you do.. Which means essentially not to tell anyone what they do suks, is BS, etc.. So folks could say, well instead of that we do this..

Pretty simple--any derogatory commentary was deleted...or if repeated banning could ensue..
    Oh, boy. So, what you have is a forum where people can put out any sort of nonsense with the assuarance that no one can say anything negative about it. Nothing but group hugs all around. I can see why certain people (pussies?) might really welcome that.

Right.. It's not enough to tell folks how and what you think good training is, you need to tell them they suk too... Otherwise what's the fun, right?

Some would say tossing insults from behind the safety of your PC, never putting up, etc, would make one even more of a ***** cat...

If it was up to me I would simply remove any insults or insulting remarks..and warn the poster, then if I had to work too hard deleting I'd ban them...
    Last edited by YungChun; 02-25-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I think you could go a long way with light moderation. Remove simply direct attack offensive words or modify posts reported. Close threads if they degrade.

The argument back and forth provides a little bit of reality to discussion. Heavily moderated sites like MAP are a snoozefest. Unmoderated sites degrade in content value and have too high of a static to content ratio. A good moderate balance is the goal IMO.

Also to be considered is the fact that in general people have much less of a sense of humor on this forum than most of the other forums (like the ones with MasterKiller + adjacent jabeeps).
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 02-25-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Oh, boy. So, what you have is a forum where people can put out any sort of nonsense with the assuarance that no one can say anything negative about it. Nothing but group hugs all around. I can see why certain people (pussies?) might really welcome that.
    don't worry t. the danger of someone wanting to hug you is extremely low.

So, what you have is a forum where people can put out any sort of nonsense with the assuarance that no one can say anything negative about it.
    Don't worry, T, there will undoubtedly continue to be plenty of non-pussies to say negative things about your nonsense.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!