Thread: Shaolin Kung Fu and Guns

Shaolin Kung Fu and Guns

Took the armed guard test today at the range . Was very interesting. Amongst other things had to shoot with both hands, from kneeling position both side, shooting in the dark with a flashlight, shooting behind cover. Happy to say I scored the highest in my class. No doubt in part to my Shaolin training!

*just saw a nice video on how guns changed Martial Arts/Warfare in general, and what ELSE we get from our Martial Arts aside from combat prowess, great, short discussion..

Amituofo
    Last edited by Djuan; 07-22-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    *just saw a nice video on how guns changed Martial Arts/Warfare in general, and what ELSE we get from our Martial Arts aside from combat prowess, great, short discussion..

Amituofo
    cool thanks

indeed! would be great to hear your perspective on their discussion!

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Just listened to the podcast. I totally agree with what they had to say about martial arts keeping the ego in check, as well as making people into better people. I don't however agree with the pre Judo era in terms of thinking martial arts are a waste of time ever since the invention of guns. In my limited experience with guns, martial arts practice gives you better control of your body which in tern helps control stress and aim better. The passing score for the test at the range described above was 225,out of the six of us I got a 275, second was a 250 two barely passed and two failed. I feel my training is what gave me the edge, without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Just listened to the podcast. I totally agree with what they had to say about martial arts keeping the ego in check, as well as making people into better people. I don't however agree with the pre Judo era in terms of thinking martial arts are a waste of time ever since the invention of guns. In my limited experience with guns, martial arts practice gives you better control of your body which in tern helps control stress and aim better. The passing score for the test at the range described above was 225,out of the six of us I got a 275, second was a 250 two barely passed and two failed. I feel my training is what gave me the edge, without a doubt.
    I agree with you there, taking your Shaolin (dhyana) training with you anywhere in life, especially places that require high frequencies of focus, Shaolin naturally puts you at an advantage. naturally mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually prepared before you walk in the door.

on the podcast, I have positive views on the insight given. imo , guns and martial arts are coexisting just fine. and the violent thrust of firearms onto the feudal world where blades/chains/sticks ruled was inevitable at the time. honestly there are good shooters who are so poorly out of shape its ridiculous, they are firearms men who could benefit from martial arts physically, and there are many modern warriors (shooters) with ptsd and other psychological traumas, who could benefit from martial arts mentally and spiritually.
    yet, people still use guns to hunt for no reason, so the gun always applied with the integrity as the old arms (supposedly) were, in theory.
    in my opinion of course ..... one hand washes the other, and as weapons evolve, the need for martial arts will become more and more important.
    Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator