Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Situation: Fighting a Runner

Situation: Fighting a Runner

I like how YKW has been trying to introduce positive discussion. I was just watching some sparring clips from another poster, which were pretty good btw, but I noticed something. In sparring as in real life, you run into a lot of runners. People who try to minimize engagement with a quick strike or two and then run like heck. What strategies or tactics should you use to force a runner to stay and engage?

relentless pursuit and entry. Once you know you have a runner, just move in and sink your claws in.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If the guy is running away, the fight is over.

If its someone you want, then you have to chase them down and trap them so they can't escape.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I like how YKW has been trying to introduce positive discussion. I was just watching some sparring clips from another poster, which were pretty good btw, but I noticed something. In sparring as in real life, you run into a lot of runners. People who try to minimize engagement with a quick strike or two and then run like heck. What strategies or tactics should you use to force a runner to stay and engage?
    I like to rape his mom first. That usually ensures engagement.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    If the guy is running away, the fight is over.

If its someone you want, then you have to chase them down and trap them so they can't escape.
    What Ray said.

IRL anyway.

If it's just sparring training, and one of the students keeps running, I'll remind him that he can't kill the other guy by running.

I'll set up drills where the run option is disallowed.

One is to make them both stand with one foot inside the small circle at center court(basketball).

I do a quick 1-2-3 count. As soon as I start counting, they both have to try to attack and get the other guy before I finish.

First to score, wins. Stepping out of the circle counts as a loss. The game is called ""3 second death match". But it's more like 1.5 seconds. You can do this over and over again at a fast pace.

The point being that you instill the aggressive instinct and explosive attack. It's structured and fast and desensitizes the person from being flinchy. Each person gets a decent amount of positive feedback when they know they "won". They also get trained not to mentally fixate on whether they hit or got hit last because the next "match" starts in 2 seconds.

When doing sparring training where we want the other person to run, the person chasing gets to develop fast footwork. So we'll work specifically on ability to overrun the other person too.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Bait him into attacking you and then as soon as he starts to move, attack and relentlessly pursue him, keeping the pressure on. Invade his space. Do NOT stop until he is done.
    "Hand to hand, heart to heart,
    you don't move, I won't start.
    But if you move, I'll hit first,
    And I won't stop until there's red." (blood)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

What strategies or tactics should you use to force a runner to stay and engage?
    Also, don't force the other guy. Trap the other guy.

You have to be the one that is "flinchy" or "weak".

Give the other person confidence to attack/chase, then use your Mantis footwork pull a fast reversal on him.

Mantis does this by training the back/front transition to a high skill level.

You can use the swallow/spit method. Or din bo for momentum change. Or the decreasing retreat and turn around method.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Bait him into attacking you and then as soon as he starts to move, attack and relentlessly pursue him, keeping the pressure on. Invade his space. Do NOT stop until he is done.
    "Hand to hand, heart to heart,
    you don't move, I won't start.
    But if you move, I'll hit first,
    And I won't stop until there's red." (blood)
    Haha... posted while I was still editing.

You are clearly faster

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I merely intercepted your intent.
    "Attack the attack!"
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    The SC jacket was designed in such a way that it forces your opponent to fight instead of running away. The moment that you get a grip on your opponent's SC jacket, he has to fight you and he can't run away any more.

If your opponent doesn't have SC jacket, you have to get a hold on your opponent. You then pull him into you when you attack him.

You have to be patient. One successful entering is all you need.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I've sparred a few people with this type of tactic. one guy was really tall and had good reach. I chased him around and around trying to corner him. Used distant kicks set ups for punching but still couldn't get him cornered. Eventually I found something that kinda worked. Stand your ground and counter punch everything. Starts frustrating them enough to come to you. Once they are close, as jamison said, sink the claws in and clinch up. (that's my game at least) I'm not going to chase someone around. Let them come to you is the best philosophy.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

well that depends entirely on your style. if youre a counter striker, fight inside the pocket or dance yourself.

if you are great at fighing on the outside and have zero grappling skills you would want to avoid a clinch with anyone, runner or not. and vice versa, if you want to be inside, just lunging out coz he's a runner could get you hurt.

the difference between good fighters and great fighters is that recognition that you own your style and only you really know whats best for you in any given situation(combat). if one is honest with themselves in assessing their own skills, they should know where success resides and how to get there. there is no one rule that works for everyone. all you can do is offer suggestions and hope they fit the target.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I like to rape his mom first. That usually ensures engagement.
    Most people just get down on one knee and ask her to marry you, don't you think rape is a bit extreme? I mean it worked for the Romans and the Sabines, but, you know, now-a-days perhaps that approach is less effective!

Especially if she refuses your engagment request..... AWKWARD!!!!!

FOOTWORK!

I teach my students how to herd the runner into a corner or to the end of the leitai so that there is nowhere to run. It is the same as a boxer who constantly presses his opponent into the corner of the ring. Like in dancing, the fighter has to lead.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

what about in an open field?

if he wants to run, let em....

they gotta come into your range if they want to get you. besides, one should be rounded and capable of defence and offence at ALL ranges.