Thread: Chain Punching

Arrow Chain Punching

Does WC weapon training use chain punching with swords? I know that many styles use similar techniques in both unarmed and armed fighting.

What about the kicking? Are there weapons for the legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Kick View Post
    What about the kicking? Are there weapons for the legs?

army boots

Does WC weapon training use chain punching with swords? I know that many styles use similar techniques in both unarmed and armed fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by NelisVingTsun View Post
    army boots
    Err........what ?

Does WC weapon training use chain punching with swords?
    FME It may all depend on who you learnt from and whether or not you were trusted enough to be taught the blades beyond a simple form.

But in short, yes, in my lineage we do.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

No.

There are continuous slashing and stabbing, and "punching" with the guards of the swords, but I wouldn't call them chain punching.
    Last edited by anerlich; 10-18-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Yes and No...

If you look at the video of Ip Chun doing the Bart Cham Dao you will see a technique which is short technique that is symbolism of chain punch with the swords. But the energy is different since they are swords they are short slicing down motions and or the short stabbing motions.

Yip Chun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9-cJ...eature=related

Time Stamp: 1:58

my computer is moving slow so i cant tell you the time stamp when he does the downward slashes...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    No.

There are continuous slashing and stabbing, and "punching" with the guards of the swords, but I wouldn't call them chain punching.
    FWIW the chinese term for 'chain' or 'linked' is called 'lien wan' because it references continual linked practise methods, and 'lien wan do fut' is a specific term for the knives which originates with our signature fistwork and expands into many different motions that will be familiar to the advanced practitioner.

You're right though, I wouldn't call these methods 'lien wan kuen' either
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    If you look at the video of Ip Chun doing the Bart Cham Dao you will see a technique which is short technique that is symbolism of chain punch with the swords. But the energy is different since they are swords they are short slicing down motions and or the short stabbing motions.
    The methods used in the BJD form are not the same as basic foundation weaponry drills, they are an advanced set giving more distinctive (and dangerous) purpose to the blades themselves.

Just as our signature fistwork is not in the (public!) 108/116 form, this doesn't mean there are no methods to practise this on the wooden man.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    The methods used in the BJD form are not the same as basic foundation weaponry drills, they are an advanced set giving more distinctive (and dangerous) purpose to the blades themselves.

Just as our signature fistwork is not in the (public!) 108/116 form, this doesn't mean there are no methods to practise this on the wooden man.

Thanks!

I appreciate you sharing!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

You're right though, I wouldn't call these methods 'lien wan kuen' either
    Great, because I didn't call them that in the first place.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

In Kulo (22pt), empty handed techniques are basically knife techniques so the chain concept is to strike/cut the opponent as many places as fast as possible and not to just rely on repeating the same movement.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    In Kulo (22pt), empty handed techniques are basically knife techniques so the chain concept is to strike/cut the opponent as many places as fast as possible and not to just rely on repeating the same movement.
    Nice food for thought!