Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How useful are the sandbags for leg and wrist?

shes one of the few women who have actually done something classy with that skill
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

what you talking about john? your daughter obviously has big strong muskles. i cannot even make hand party to her

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    What do you guys think about learning something like 石锁(shisuo)? Is it the kind of weight training that can be more useful for martial artists?

Last edited by bawang; 06-28-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    My daughter has never done any bench press or squats in her life. She is not big and strong but she can do what I can't do.

She travels all over the world and teaches her art in many different countries. As far as I know, both bench press and squarts are not part of her teaching program.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1957/nanac.jpg

http://natashawang.com/
    I don't understand the context of your post in reply to my post.

Her skill has nothing to do with needing to bench press or squat. She would be stronger if she did but it's not necessary for her sport.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    it's not necessary for her sport.
    For some sport, function training is more important than strength training. It's just like sandbags on the legs will not help running.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-28-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Riddle me this batman.

I know JamesC knows all about this.

Assistance exercises. Many renowned powerlifting programs prescribe them. Identify a weakness, for instance the lower back (and by extension the hamstrings) in the squat, and target it with exercises that isolate that area to improve your overall performance. Weighted back extensions and reverse hypers. Or front squats to load the anterior chain more if your flexors and quads are the weak link. Exercises that are removed from the actual movements performed in competitions by varying degrees. By your guy's recycled logic those are all just gimmicks. I wonder how the estiminable Mr. Simmons would feel about that.

You don't need certifications in kinestesiology to know that doing one legged squats balanced on a bosu ball while juggling kettlebells on fire is retarded. But it is pure intellectual laziness to paint everything in broad stroke knee jerk powerlifting forum regurgitations when common sense will suffice.

"Durrrrr functional training is bad durrrrrr"
    There is a reason they are called assistance exercises dude.
    The core principles of strength training have always been:
    Compound lifts for overall general strength.
    Assistence work to develop that "parts you miss".
    Even powerlifters do assistance work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Riddle me this batman.

I know JamesC knows all about this.

Assistance exercises. Many renowned powerlifting programs prescribe them. Identify a weakness, for instance the lower back (and by extension the hamstrings) in the squat, and target it with exercises that isolate that area to improve your overall performance. Weighted back extensions and reverse hypers. Or front squats to load the anterior chain more if your flexors and quads are the weak link. Exercises that are removed from the actual movements performed in competitions by varying degrees. By your guy's recycled logic those are all just gimmicks. I wonder how the estiminable Mr. Simmons would feel about that.

You don't need certifications in kinestesiology to know that doing one legged squats balanced on a bosu ball while juggling kettlebells on fire is retarded. But it is pure intellectual laziness to paint everything in broad stroke knee jerk powerlifting forum regurgitations when common sense will suffice.

"Durrrrr functional training is bad durrrrrr"
    you do come across as an a$$ most of the time, you not getting any at home?

many programs do use assistance exercises (mostly geared lifters as you know being a competitive powerlifter and all), alot dont though many work record holding powerlifters just do the big three lifts....so to recap some get strong just doing the big three, some get strong doing the big three and assistance exercises yet no one gets strong without doing the big three, riddle me that muppet

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    what you talking about john? your daughter obviously has big strong muskles. i cannot even make hand party to her

Awesome !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !