Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WC techniques in Sparring

WC techniques in Sparring

Not alot but some of the fighters actually use techniques like Tan, Bong and Bil while they spar as well as stop kicks...I love the aggression.

This is how a street fight will be won!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XYSCEwCPaw
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Not alot but some of the fighters actually use techniques like Tan, Bong and Bil while they spar as well as stop kicks...I love the aggression.

This is how a street fight will be won!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XYSCEwCPaw
    I don't see this as skilled fighting. That's why all you see the school boy head lock all the time. This is an example of what happens when a wing chun school with no fight training spar with their own guys with head guards - they just throw punches and the weaker guy holds on and takes the beating. That's not skilled fighters or great training in my opinion.

Its good that they are having a go, but for me they need to learn how to learn from it. MMA guys would laugh at this. It doesn't help the view of wing chun to others.
    Last edited by Alan Orr; 02-25-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Well Yes and No...Some of them had more techniques than others...But again this are beginners who probably only have sil lim tau and chum kiu.

in the streets much of you see in MMA wont be applicable in the streets. The averge guy will be trying to do the same things to you these WC people are doing in the video...Worst thing is you have no time to roll. Move or dance around because you might get hit in the back of the head by one his buddies if you move the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    I don't see this as skilled fighting. That's why all you see the school boy head lock all the time. This is an example of what happens when a wing chun school with no fight training spar with their own guys with head guards - they just throw punches and the weaker guy holds on and takes the beating. That's not skilled fighters or great training in my opinion.

Its good that they are having a go, but for me they need to learn how to learn from it. MMA guys would laugh at this. It doesn't help the view of wing chun to others.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Well Yes and No...Some of them had more techniques than others...But again this are beginners who probably only have sil lim tau and chum kiu.

in the streets much of you see in MMA wont be applicable in the streets. The averge guy will be trying to do the same things to you these WC people are doing in the video...Worst thing is you have no time to roll. Move or dance around because you might get hit in the back of the head by one his buddies if you move the wrong way.

Well beginners are not the best example to use.

You should maybe try hard sparing or even a controlled bare fist round with a good (not beginner) MMA guy. I think a the conditioning and mental training for mma as well as well rounded application of skill is a very good base for the street. MMA guys do know which application are better for the cage or street. This whole idea doesn't make any sense to me at all. Now add in his friends? Its a whole different debate again.

In the street you punch a guy a few times then control him with a pinning position or a submission - sounds like mma to me or could be very skilled wing chun ... not just beginners milling.

Well first of all those guys get props for going at it. You have to fight like that to get an idea of what violence is.

As for the "MMA wouldn't work in the street" stuff, don't go there dude. I know it works. As aggressive as those guys were, I wouldn't have too much trouble with them. That's not in a negative way, it's just because I know VERY well how to escape something as childish as a headlock

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    Well first of all those guys get props for going at it. You have to fight like that to get an idea of what violence is.

As for the "MMA wouldn't work in the street" stuff, don't go there dude. I know it works. As aggressive as those guys were, I wouldn't have too much trouble with them. That's not in a negative way, it's just because I know VERY well how to escape something as childish as a headlock
    100% agree.

in the streets much of you see in MMA wont be applicable in the streets.
    You should give up martial arts or give up your instructor. I hope you are not teaching anyone about fighting because your not qualified.

The head gear offers enough safety that defense goes out the window and they just brawl. This does little to improve skill.

...Some of them had more techniques than others...But again this are beginners who probably only have sil lim tau and chum kiu.
    Yoshi are you kidding? Beginners having SLT and CK??

I only watch the first minute or so because, much like the other NHB example posted a few days ago, I find this sort of thing a complete waste of everyones time. There is absolutely NO evidence of any CK understanding at all imho and this sort of idea, that you can learn these forms and be able to fight, is just ridiculous when you look at the hard evidence.

Alan was spot on describing this sort of thing as 'schoolboy' stuff because it all belongs in a playground

Quote Originally Posted by chadderz View Post
    Really? And that is what you want to expose this level of student to? Martial Arts is undisciplined violence? Man, at least have 'some' level of control in your red-outs!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

good aggression with a bunch of chain punching, a little boxing and clinch work but not high level at all. Yes those head locks have to go they were holding on to them even to the point where they were useless. If they keep sparring like this along with training and drills they should improve in time definitely better than just living only in the world of chi sao for development of a fighter IMO

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Really? And that is what you want to expose this level of student to? Martial Arts is undisciplined violence? Man, at least have 'some' level of control in your red-outs!!
    Not on a regular basis, hell, not even once a month. I suppose violence was the wrong word, I really just meant something like "experience what being punched feels like". Haha, sorry about that ^^

MJW thanks for your opinion...Those start sparring on the ground floor will learn how to make WC work sooner because they are actually already fighting...

WC is a system of fighting...it gives you the tools to fight but sparring and fighting are two different animals...

The video clips may have some limited protection but it is not sparring it is really men getting together an sluigging it out like they would in the streets...The More skilled opponent wins...

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    good aggression with a bunch of chain punching, a little boxing and clinch work but not high level at all. Yes those head locks have to go they were holding on to them even to the point where they were useless. If they keep sparring like this along with training and drills they should improve in time definitely better than just living only in the world of chi sao for development of a fighter IMO
    Well rehersed drills, chi sau and form practicing is find and dandy. But when you fight in the street. Not spar in your kwoon or even compete in the cage or octogon but when you spar in the street the whole dynamic is different. I rather have that school boy fighting skill coupled with wing chun tools than be some sports fighter with alot of competitons won...Season street fighters have an advantage over MA practicioners who most of their fighting is done in the kwoon or competitions. The difference is the street fighter is more skilled at using tools that you normally hold back in competitions. The more you practiced or utilize something the better at it you become! As for CK. Well in fighting you wont be able utilize all of given form. But the method of using forward energy which you learn in CK is applied in the fighting these young men are doing...

Theres a drastic difference between fighting and sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Yoshi are you kidding? Beginners having SLT and CK??

I only watch the first minute or so because, much like the other NHB example posted a few days ago, I find this sort of thing a complete waste of everyones time. There is absolutely NO evidence of any CK understanding at all imho and this sort of idea, that you can learn these forms and be able to fight, is just ridiculous when you look at the hard evidence.

Alan was spot on describing this sort of thing as 'schoolboy' stuff because it all belongs in a playground

Niersun your my only student buddy. Now i need you to do 10,000 palm strikes in the air towards the bird in the tree...once you have developed the chi to kill the bird just by waving your hand I can begin to teach you the deeper things of wing chun.

Quote Originally Posted by Niersun View Post
    You should give up martial arts or give up your instructor. I hope you are not teaching anyone about fighting because your not qualified.

Hard sparring and controlled bare fist is just that...a controlled setting. What I see is people fighting not sparring. Doing what comes naturally coupled with wing chun. In a street fight you dont have time to set up techniques an follow all the rules, principles or theories...you do what ever works. If a person has long hair Im gonna grab your hair and pull it. If your open in the groin Im going to lift kick you in the nuts. If a person covers as I chain punch im going to grab your neck and pull you down...if you fall on the ground Im going to stomp you while your down. That is fighting not sparring...When i punch my main target is your nose...Eyes and mouth are secondary targets. I wanna make you leak when I chain punch you. I wanna bust or break your nose and make your mouth bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Well beginners are not the best example to use.

You should maybe try hard sparing or even a controlled bare fist round with a good (not beginner) MMA guy. I think a the conditioning and mental training for mma as well as well rounded application of skill is a very good base for the street. MMA guys do know which application are better for the cage or street. This whole idea doesn't make any sense to me at all. Now add in his friends? Its a whole different debate again.

In the street you punch a guy a few times then control him with a pinning position or a submission - sounds like mma to me or could be very skilled wing chun ... not just beginners milling.
    Im simply saying the average MMA guy who bulk of fighting comes against other MMA guys or martial artist wont always fare well against a seasoned fighter. Now maybe some drunkard in a club...But a guy who has been fighting all his life. he is harden thug, drug dealer and killer. Who has actually killed men with his bare hands will be more adept at fighting in the streets in an non-controlled setting MMA guy. The average MMA guy would get mauled in the street for instance...

if you were in my hood an started trying to take down a buddy of mines. While your standing up I would hit you with a brick, rock or bottle in the back of the head. If you go down to ground trying submit or break my buddies arm. Im going to kick your head and face once your in the dominate posistion. So go to ground if you want too. We lie and wait for idiots to do that. On the ground you cant run when we jump. Also We fight dirty. We bite, claw, and kick the groin as well as squeeze it to make you release while your getting hit in back by some timerland boots.

MMA guy who has Muay Thai and BJJ back ground usually would get mauled in the streets. Through High kick if you want to eventually even an novice will catch your kick.

Im simply saying the average MMA guy who bulk of fighting comes against other MMA guys or martial artist wont always fare well against a seasoned fighter. Now maybe some drunkard in a club...But a guy who has been fighting all his life. he is harden thug, drug dealer and killer. Who has actually killed men with his bare hands will be more adept at fighting in the streets in an non-controlled setting MMA guy. The average MMA guy would get mauled in the street for instance...

if you were in my hood an started trying to take down a buddy of mines. While your standing up I would hit you with a brick, rock or bottle in the back of the head. If you go down to ground trying submit or break my buddies arm. Im going to kick your head and face once your in the dominate posistion. So go to ground if you want too. We lie and wait for idiots to do that. On the ground you cant run when we jump. Also We fight dirty. We bite, claw, and kick the groin as well as squeeze it to make you release while your getting hit in back by some timerland boots.

MMA guy who has Muay Thai and BJJ back ground usually would get mauled in the streets. Through High kick if you want to eventually even an novice will catch your kick.
    Oh God. I don't know where to begin, I honestly think you're trolling me.

I'll answer this as seriously as I can though, 'cause I'm a nice guy:

Firstly, I am not fighting more than one person if I am alone. That would just be stupid. I'm also not going to the ground in any street fight. That would also be a very stupid thing to do.

As for fighting dirty, do you honestly think I wouldn't fight dirty in a street fight? Of course I would! I would be fishhooking and face-barring and all that cool stuff.

Now the part that annoyed me most about your post, is thinking that professional fighters (MMA Fighters, Boxers, Kickboxers, Judo players) are for some reason inferior to some guy who has never learned to fight? WHAT? What kind of logic is that?!

Seriously, go and take a month in an MMA gym, come back, and tell me they don't train good. Come back, and tell us all how you could school anybody there. Please.

Oh God. I don't know where to begin, I honestly think you're trolling me.
    What's scary is Yoshi actually believes all the krap he's saying.
    Welcome to Yoshi's Fantasy Land and enjoy the ride....
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Hahaha, so you're saying you live in an area that has known murders just walking free on the streets and killing people with their bare hands on a regular basis.... rrriiiigggghhhtttt... Where do you live, Fantasy Island? Ok Tattoo..

And you really expect people to take you seriously after posting garbage like this??
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90