Five and 1/2 hour workouts, what?!
    LOL!! I have posted this a few times in the past:

1 hour kicks
    1 hour strikes
    1 hour weapons
    1 hour weights
    1 hour stretching
    30 min run!

It was only 3-4 days per week though. It wasn't like I did it every day. I also went to Aikido for 2 1/2 hours twice a week too, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    How do you guys feel about taking water during hard training sessions?

Back in the day It was a point of pride for me to not drink any water until I was done training, or not more than once an hour if we doing real hard 2 or 3 hour sessions. I would never let myself dehydrate to the point where I didn't sweat, of course, but I wouldn't take it until I needed it.

Nowadays I like to drink small amounts of water more frequently. I worry that if you don't take water, you burn out faster than you could have otherwise. I feel like I may be able to train better/longer if I take a little water every 15 minutes or so during intense workouts.

Do you feel that depriving yourself of water, (within reason) helps your endurance? Or will it just lead to sloppier form and burning out quicker? Does taking it more often hurt your endurance abilities?
    No it doesnt help your endurance or performance, even being slightly dehydration can adversely effect your ability to think and perform

every major athletic team employs water carriers for a reason, most sports have water breaks again for a reason, there is also a reason that these same teams weigh their players before and after training and games and dont let them go until they are fully hydrated

milk + gin
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I only drink "hot water" during and after workout. If you let your body temperature to

- increase 1 degree, your immune system will increase 6 times.
    - drop 1 degree, your immune system will decrease 30%.

If you keep your body temperature high, cancer cells will never grow inside your body. This is why we have not heard about "heart cancer" because the temperature is too high there.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-cancer/AN01288
    This is not correct sorry. Cancer is linked to cell division, it is essentially uncontrolled cellular proliferation. Cancer doesn't occur in cardiac tissue with any regularity because cardiac cells are incredibly long lasting by comparison to other tissues. Meaning they don't divide very often. It has nothing to do with temperature.

As to the topic. There's absolutely no logical reason not to hydrate while exercising. Anything you've heard telling you not to do so, is folk nonsense. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with drinking cool water. It won't shock your organs. It won't cause steam to scorch your insides. It won't cause cancer. Cool water is probably more comfortable than iced cold water. And tastes more appealing than warm water. The only difference is rate at which your body can absorb that water. Cool water is the optimum for bodily absorption.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 12-31-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    milk + gin
    Isn't that how they make cottage cheese?

fake news

I have yet to see this on sale in the Si Valley and I frequent the sort of shops you'd think would sell this. Plus Rainbow Grocery is in SF.

Food-safety expert warns latest bizarre Silicon Valley $60 'raw water' trend could quickly turn deadly
    Kate Taylor
    24h

Live Water is a startup selling untreated water. Live Water

Silicon Valley is developing an obsession with untreated, unfiltered water, according to The New York Times.

But a food-poisoning expert says that the trend is dangerous and could be deadly.

"Raw" water can spread bacteria and diseases including cholera, E. coli, Hepatitis A, and Giardia.

When food-safety expert Bill Marler saw The New York Times' trend piece on Silicon Valley's recent obsession with raw water, he thought he was reading a headline from The Onion.

According to The Times, demand for unfiltered water is skyrocketing as tech-industry insiders develop a taste for water that hasn't been treated, to prevent the spread of bacteria or other contaminants.

In San Francisco, "unfiltered, untreated, unsterilized spring water" is selling for as much as $60.99 for a 2.5 gallon jug. Startups dedicated to untreated water are popping up. People — including startup Juicero's cofounder Doug Evans — are gathering gallons of untreated water from natural springs to bring to Burning Man.

Tourmaline Spring sells an untreated water as "sacred, living water." Tourmaline Spring
    While Evans and other fans say raw water is perfect for those who are "extreme about health," Marler — a food-safety advocate and a lawyer — says the opposite is true.

"Almost everything conceivable that can make you sick can be found in water," Marler told Business Insider.

Unfiltered, untreated water, even from the cleanest streams, can contain animal feces, spreading Giardia, which has symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea and results in roughly 4,600 hospitalizations a year. Hepatitis A, which resulted in 20 deaths in a California outbreak in 2017, can be spread through water if it isn't treated. E. coli, and cholera can also be transmitted via untreated water.

Because filtered, treated water has become the norm, Marler says, most people don't realize how dangerous s0-called raw water can be.

"The diseases that killed our great-grandparents were completely forgotten about," he said.

Most Americans don't personally know anyone who died of Hepatitis A or cholera, thanks to advances in technology and more stringent safety standards. As a result, they had a hard time realizing the risks involved in consuming untreated water.

"It's fine till some 10-year-old girl dies a horrible death from cholera in Montecito, California," Marler said.

On January 2, Business Insider's Melia Robinson visited a San Francisco supermarket where a small company called Live Water sells its untreated water. Rainbow Grocery was sold out of the Fountain of Truth Spring Water from Live Water, but a sign indicated a "slight price increase."

An empty container sits on a shelf in Rainbow Grocery, where Live Water is sold. Melia Robinson/Business Insider

Rainbow Grocery is expecting a new shipment of Live Water on January 4. Melia Robinson/Business Insider

The cost of a 2.5 gallon jug increased from $36.99 to $60.99 since The Times' article published. While the price includes the glass container, a refill costs only $14.99, according to The Times.

Melia Robinson/Business Insider

According to Marler, the raw-water trend is similar to people's obsession with raw milk or opposition to vaccines. While they lack scientific evidence, they're convinced that they are correct, in part because they have failed to see the repercussions of life without scientific advances.

"You can't stop consenting adults from being stupid," Marler said. "But we should at least try."

Melia Robinson contributed reporting.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Then again, maybe not

Reported by Time & NYT now. Hard to know what to believe lately...

'Raw Water' Is a New Health Trend. But Is It Safe?
    By JAMIE DUCHARME January 3, 2018
    TIME Health
    For more, visit TIME Health.

A New York Times story in December introduced a new health buzzword to the masses: raw water, or water that hasn’t been treated, filtered or processed in any way.

While the beverage isn’t widespread yet, a number of untreated water startups have cropped up in states ranging from California to Maine, according to the Times. They’re attracting those with misgivings about tap water treatment processes and additives, as well as people who want to preserve the natural substances found in virgin water.

But is the stuff even safe?

The water system in the U.S. isn’t perfect — there are aging pipes and infrastructure issues, for example, and lead contamination like that in Flint, Mich. — but it has greatly improved public health over the past century. After the U.S. introduced filtration, chlorination and sanitation practices for public drinking water, the burden of water-borne illnesses such as cholera and typhoid fever plummeted almost to zero, says Kellogg Schwab, a professor of water and public health at Johns Hopkins University’s Bloomberg School of Public Health. “It was truly instrumental in improving public health in the United States,” Schwab says. “Having a central treatment process of our drinking water and then distributing it out to the individual homes and businesses is a tremendous asset that we, as a country, take for granted.”

Drinking untreated water, and the pathogens that can lurk within it, could expose Americans to disease outbreaks once again, says Vince Hill, chief of the CDC’s Waterborne Disease Prevention Branch. “When water isn’t treated, it can contain chemicals and germs that can make us sick or cause disease outbreaks,” he says. “Anything you can think of can be in untreated water, really,” ranging from agricultural runoff and naturally occurring chemicals to bacteria and viruses.

And while community tap water is treated to remove 91 different contaminants, there’s little data showing what’s in raw water. “That’s the part that is concerning, because there are many sources of water contamination that can affect spring water,” Hill says.

As for concerns about fluoride — a chemical added to community water supplies to help prevent tooth decay — Vincent Casey, a senior water sanitation and hygiene manager at clean water nonprofit WaterAid, says it’s not harmful at the levels found in drinking water, even though it is hazardous at high concentrations. (Due to its potential health consequences, some vocal opponents have called for an end to water fluoridation.)

“In low quantities, it is scientifically proven that it is beneficial to dental health,” Casey says. “If a water company or a utility is carrying out its treatment to the right standards, there shouldn’t be instances where these concentrations are going to hazardous levels at all.”

If you’re concerned about your tap water, Hill says, it’s better to invest in a home filtration or testing system than to turn to untreated water.

Casey agrees. “If you’ve got the luxury of a treated, piped water supply to your home available, it’s not really a good idea to drink untreated water,” he says. “There are obviously many people in the world who don’t have that luxury.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Tale of Two Vinces.....

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Reported by Time & NYT now. Hard to know what to believe lately...
    So Interesting,

Given their professional experience these people only offer speculation over the concrete. That is pathetic and I am being very polite about this.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    So Interesting,

Given their professional experience these people only offer speculation over the concrete. That is pathetic and I am being very polite about this.

mickey
    don't get your panties in a bunch

"You can't stop consenting adults from being stupid," Marler said. "But we should at least try."
    My favorite quote from the article

This message is hidden because rett2 is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

Don't nobody want to listen to you

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    So Interesting,

You'd think that if they're selling the water as (basically) a foodstuff the FDA or the state would require them to test it for contaminants. Then Vince#1 would get the data he says is missing, from case to case.

I can't imagine how the new agers dare sell stuff that can be contaminated considering the risk of litigation if someone gets sick from it.
    Last edited by rett2; 01-10-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Real not Raw

FDA slams “Real Water” linked to liver failure; water plant manager MIA
    A lawyer for the water company said it can't find its plant manager or lead technician.
    BETH MOLE - 4/1/2021, 9:53 AM

Enlarge / Images of Real Water's "alkalized" products, which the FDA now says you should not drink or use.

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday admonished Nevada-based company Real Water for being uncooperative in a multi-state health investigation linked to its “alkalized” water products. The company is accused of poisoning its customers, causing acute liver failure and other serious health problems in adults, children, and pets.

On March 16, the FDA and the Southern Nevada Health District announced that they were investigating cases of acute non-viral hepatitis (resulting in acute liver failure) in five infants and children, all of whom consumed the company’s alkaline water. The water was the only common link between the five children and infants. Since then, customers have filed several lawsuits making similar claims, including three Californian women who filed a federal lawsuit in Nevada March 22 seeking class-action status.
    In an investigation update Wednesday, the FDA said its work has been hamstrung by Real Water’s failure to hand over critical records for two of its product facilities. Real Water has also failed to notify its distributors of the March 24 recall of all its water products, which are still being offered for sale by online retailers, the FDA noted. In addition, the FDA reported that the company is still promoting its products on social media, despite the recall and serious health claims.

Missing records, people
    “Therefore, the FDA is reiterating that it is crucial that consumers, restaurants, distributors, and retailers not drink, cook with, sell, or serve ‘Real Water’ alkaline water,” the agency said in the update Wednesday. “Given a lack of cooperation by the firm, FDA investigators have been unable to complete investigations,” the update went on. The agency has twice issued the company a Demand for Records under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

But on Monday, a lawyer for Real Water may have provided an explanation for the company’s lack of cooperation. Real Water attorney Charles LoBello told District Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez in a hearing that he could not find the company’s plant manager or lead technician, according to a report by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

“There has been difficulty getting ahold of them,” LoBello said, asking the judge for at least two weeks to track them down.

Separately, another lawyer for the company, Laura Ungaro, contradicted the FDA’s recent update, telling the Review-Journal that the company is in fact cooperating with the investigation.

“I can’t imagine how they could say we’re not cooperating,” Ungaro of Craig Mueller & Associates told the outlet. “We’ve done everything but stand on our heads for them. Anything and everything they want, we’ve made available to them.”

Real Water President Brent Jones—who is also a former Nevada state Republican lawmaker—released a nearly two-minute video on the brand’s website last week, in which he offered the “deepest sympathy and concern over the events that led to the inquiry.” However, the website now displays a message saying that it is “down for maintenance” and only offers links to a recall press release, two water quality test reports, and Jones’ video on YouTube.

Real Water has not responded to multiple comment requests from Ars.

BETH MOLE
    Beth is Ars Technica’s health reporter. She’s interested in biomedical research, infectious disease, health policy and law, and has a Ph.D. in microbiology.
    EMAIL beth.mole@arstechnica.com // TWITTER @BethMarieMole
    Anyone into alkaline water? Our water purifier offers it but we just get the filtered stuff.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hot Shot View Post
    Drink at least 4 litres per day. Drink more when you are training hard, you can never drink too much water I'm already on my 3rd litre and its only 9 AM.
    I also do that for myself that to all the time. Does the work pretty well.
    Stay healthy And Chase the best version
    of yourself - Beyond body