Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: defense agaisnt a caught kick

defense agaisnt a caught kick

doing MMA in class last night adn one fo the guys threw a round house kick , the other guy caught it and theey hopped around a bit while the guy tried to sweep him to the mat, the guy witht he caught kick had no defense.

I thought this was interesting, does your style/system prepare for this?

8 step always says to hop into your opponents space as close as possilbe and drop your weight downward to release the leg whiel grabbing them to prevent a throw...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    This is one of my favor subjects. As a Chinese wrestler, I have to deal with this problem everyday. When you throw a high kick and get caught, it will be very difficult to counter because all your opponent needs is to raise your leg over his shoulder and you will fall backward. Sometime you may intentionally let your opponent to get hold of your low groin kick. There are a lot of tricks that you can play after that.

Shift all your weight on that leg to make it difficult for your opponent to pick you up. At the same time, try to use hammer fist to hit on top of his head (or use hook punch to hit behind his head) if you can. If it's too late, grab one of his arm, and use your other arm to push his shoulder back to prevent him from reaching to your other leg. You then extend your leg between his groin, extend your other leg back to move your center gravity away from him (this will make you to be much heavier), and "glue" yourself on his leg and looking for opportunity. The following short clip can give you some idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnfTprTKMME

If you can't push your opponent's shoulder back, you can let him come to you, get him a "head lock", and use your leg to twist on his leading leg, and still "glue" yourself on his leg and looking for opportunity. The following short clip can give you some idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_LfygoYrDU

Here is another clip that's not just a demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnpAHqOUlSQ

Old Chinese saying said, "After you get hold one of your opponent's legs, if you still can't take him down, it's time for you to get a rope, find a quite place, and hang yourself." Again, this kind of technique exchange can not be guranteed. It depends on you and your opponent's training, ability, and experience.

In no-gi nevironment, techniques in both clips will need some modification in order to be able to integrated smoothly into the striking art.

If someone catches my leg, he won't be able to stop me from getting a "head lock" on him (glue on him). After that I'll just go down with him and play the ground game.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-11-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Greetings,

I cannot see how the kick was caught. So I have to guess. If the guy is close enough, he should wickedly and repeatedly punch the crap out of the guy (this is for "sport") until the guy either lets go or tries to execute. For street, use eye gouges and throat rips. Remember there is always a counter. The guy could have gone with the sweep and worked from there, depending on his experience. The guy could use his supporting leg to kick the holder in the groin, going to the ground and working from there.

If you want to simplify it more, if the guy is holding with two hands, it is a 3 versus 2 situation. The kicker has 1 arm and 2 legs free (3) and the holder only has his legs free (2).

One of the more important thing for me if my leg was caught is to bend the caught leg to keep it from getting broken. That also pulls you closer to your opponent.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    doing MMA in class last night adn one fo the guys threw a round house kick , the other guy caught it and theey hopped around a bit while the guy tried to sweep him to the mat, the guy witht he caught kick had no defense.

I thought this was interesting, does your style/system prepare for this?

8 step always says to hop into your opponents space as close as possilbe and drop your weight downward to release the leg whiel grabbing them to prevent a throw...
    Having wrestled extensively and defended lots of single legs, yes :-)
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

i have long enough arms to where i can reach and clinch his neck so if he dumps me he is coming with me to teh ground

punching them hard in the face before they toss you works too lol

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

When your leg is caught there are several things you can do:

1. Turn and face away from opponent, bend knee and turn knee to face down. Pull your leg away or hop and pull away. Very basic.

2. First get you foot or leg to his outside (not inbetween his legs). Now bend your leg and move close, then hop up and land on your opponents hip (with your shin sorta straddling his hip). This is called Absorbing (吸). Now grab your arm aroung his neck and prepare to straighten your leg when he sets you back down. When you reach the ground be prepared for any number of counter throws.

3. Put your "caught" foot inbetween his legs and grab his arm with one hand and his head with the other. Turn and look away from opponent and Leg Blocking throw him.

ginosifu

ps I'll think of some more later...

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    Having wrestled extensively and defended lots of single legs, yes :-)
    lol spread the truth

yes ****zer, push the head away break the grip etc all great things to do, keep the leg on the outside, not inbetween his legs or in the front if you can help it

scissor sweeps to heel hooks works as well if your a fan of shooto

as does jumping to guard is you a bjj guy

Earthdragon,
    That is how I have taught the defense. Place maximum weight on the grabbed leg and pummel the head.

Youknowho,
    Loved the first clip! Excellent Sweeping Loin Throw. That is my favorite throw. Never thought of using it like that though. Very nice! Thanks for the lesson!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Give up slow high-kick style and learn fast /no-high kick style.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Earthdragon,
    That is how I have taught the defense. Place maximum weight on the grabbed leg and pummel the head.

Youknowho,
    Loved the first clip! Excellent Sweeping Loin Throw. That is my favorite throw. Never thought of using it like that though. Very nice! Thanks for the lesson!
    you gotta be careful with that... if you start swinging you may get tossed... i like what ED said about holding on... best to post, clinch whatever, just make sure your solid before you start swinging... you could swarm on somebody whos inexperienced... but a good grappler, judoka, whatever, will have a throw for the occasion...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    you gotta be careful with that... if you start swinging you may get tossed... i like what ED said about holding on... best to post, clinch whatever, just make sure your solid before you start swinging... you could swarm on somebody whos inexperienced... but a good grappler, judoka, whatever, will have a throw for the occasion...
    Very true! That is why we grab one of the opponent's ears or hair then pummel the other side of the head. Just didn't really want to be that graphic in the details. But oh well.
    Don't think even judoka, grapplers or BJJ guys like losing an ear as a trade for a throw. Doesn't seem like a good trade to me.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

- 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

...there's always, turn and roll away out of it.....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Cantilever throw would be my first instinct. This is very old footage of Jeng Hsing Ping, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Very true! That is why we grab one of the opponent's ears or hair then pummel the other side of the head. Just didn't really want to be that graphic in the details. But oh well.
    Don't think even judoka, grapplers or BJJ guys like losing an ear as a trade for a throw. Doesn't seem like a good trade to me.
    WORD!!!

doesnt really matter what you do, aslong as its solid... personally, i wouldnt go for the eyes and hair, im more of a head and arm clinch kinda guy... work some inside boxing or look for a throw from there... but i wouldnt want anyone pulling my hair... not that i have much to pull, not possible... ive had people go for my eyes before... its not as easy as one would think... hurts like a motherfukcer when you get poked tho... while groundfighting ive seen guys thumb the eyes alot... never felt it, but its gotta hurt...