Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What other styles are good to mix with Wing Chun?

Said HybridWarrior:

trying to dabble in several is not optimal IMO.
    Bit ironic with that screen name, bro.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Some people go into Wing Chun because they fervently believe it to be the supreme ultimate fighting style and you really need to be the deadliest fighter possible. If this is you, you probably want to pursue it alone.

If you don't believe that, then you might want to look at other systems as well.

A lot of Wing Chun guys do arnis or Escrima. Others do BJJ, Judo, and grappling arts.

If you want to become a fully rounded fighter, you should explore standup (boxing, kickboxing, Kung Fu, karate, MT, etc.), clinch (judo, wrestling, etc.), and groundfighting (BJJ and judo).

It depends what you want to do. If something looks interesting, go check it out. Life is about discovery and following your interests. Not doing what someone else says you should do.

Personally I started with a guy who taught a very effective mix of Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut, and Northern Sil Lum. He showed me that the concept of pure arts being the most effective was not true. Every art needs to evolve.

Currently I'm training nearly all BJJ because to me it the most interesting MA I've come across, and is evolving all the time. With some WC just to keep the pugilistic skills up.

I don't believe in trying to blend arts, though. I used to think my WC history would make it easier for me to learn BJJ, and that I could use "WC principles" to learn BJJ faster, but I realised that would not work at around blue belt level. You have to approach each art with a clean slate.
    Last edited by anerlich; 06-05-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Yeh, graham was always alright...... For a wanker lol

Done deal on the clip
    When you are old being known as a w@nker isn't so bad!

As for the current topic I believe that a lot of people cross train WC because the WC is poor or incorrect. That is based on my experience and I have had a lot of it.

Anyway styles don't make fighters and as I have said many times before the scariest people I know don't even do MA so sometimes the bubble needs to be burst.

Everything really depends on the individuals, the time, the place, the surroundings. These kind of things determine the outcome of a fight. In competition the participants are matched very even. In real life they are not.

In the past I have seen people get KTFO who have had a reputation as being handy MAist's by just your average drunk Joe outside a bar so I don't really believe that any style is perfect. It's the person.

As most of us on this forum are pretty invisible to each other it's completely possible that the biggest idiot on here (no names) could kick all our asses. Who know's? Who cares?
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

the biggest idiot on here (no names)
    Man, the list of contenders is a long one.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Man, the list of contenders is a long one.
    Yeah. It includes essentially anyone that takes their time to post here!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Difficult to tell what people are really like until you meet them and impossible to tell how capable they are at expressing their MA.

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    When you are old being known as a w@nker isn't so bad!

As for the current topic I believe that a lot of people cross train WC because the WC is poor or incorrect. That is based on my experience and I have had a lot of it.

Anyway styles don't make fighters and as I have said many times before the scariest people I know don't even do MA so sometimes the bubble needs to be burst.

Everything really depends on the individuals, the time, the place, the surroundings. These kind of things determine the outcome of a fight. In competition the participants are matched very even. In real life they are not.

In the past I have seen people get KTFO who have had a reputation as being handy MAist's by just your average drunk Joe outside a bar so I don't really believe that any style is perfect. It's the person.

As most of us on this forum are pretty invisible to each other it's completely possible that the biggest idiot on here (no names) could kick all our asses. Who know's? Who cares?
    People so call cross train for all kinds of different reasons. I think the real question isn't the cross part but the training part.

You seem to me to be suggesting that training doesn't matter that there are scary people who haven't trained (true) that all kinds of variables come into play in a street fight (also true) and that trained people have been beaten by untrained people (true). You are also right that it is the person not the style.

The conclusion to all this is to be the best most prepared person you can. The better prepared you are the better your chances to prevail. This is where training comes in. Real training improves the person. Conditioning improves your ability to perform and in fact your performance ability in fighting is dictated by your conditioning level. Skill training hones your ability to fight. There are never guarantees only chances this is true on the street and also in competition. Training just increases your chances.

Yes competition fighting is not street assaults. This does not mean competition fighting is not important. Yes you are evenly matched in weight experience and so forth. Yes there are rules. But to focus on the constraints of competition misses the bigger picture. Guys who have actually fought in competition see that bigger picture. The bigger picture is that competition fighting allows you to really and legally use your training to fight against someone really fighting you back.

Sparring and competition is the way we can lawfully practice really using our skills and by really I mean for real that is to really punch your opponent really choke him really take him down really kick him with all your power and so forth and to really deal with him trying to do the same. From doing this we see how things really work for ourselves as individuals how to really do thing and put them together for ourselves. There is no guess work or speculation or theory to it.

Difficult to tell what people are really like until you meet them and impossible to tell how capable they are at expressing their MA.
    Very true Graham! Which is exactly the point I have tried to make on other threads about this being a discussion forum and not a youtube channel, and that to demand that people somehow prove that they are knowledgeable and capable is somewhat pointless.

Very true Graham! Which is exactly the point I have tried to make on other threads about this being a discussion forum and not a youtube channel, and that to demand that people somehow prove that they are knowledgeable and capable is somewhat pointless.
    KPM I am not demanding people prove how knowledgeable or capable they are I am saying that when people talk about things they are not really doing then they are just idly speculating. If you want to exchange idle speculation with others idly speculating that's fine with me. It's a free country with freedom of speech. Why get annoyed when some one points out that what you are doing is armchair idle speculation then? If you are an honest person I'd think you'd have no problem saying yeah it is just speculation.

True.....................

Also true...

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    Training just increases your chances.
    This is my thinking exactly but there is an argument that could mean practicing an MA may have negative consequences in the heat of the moment.

Our natural behaviour will always take priority if we are trying to avoid severe injury or death.

As an example a guy could try and be a hero because he practices MA and get himself into serious trouble. Untrained and scared he might just run away.

You see there are too many variables to find a positive answer to all this. The best we can do is to enjoy the experience of training and developing and should the need to use it arise the outcome will not be known until after.

No point in dwelling too much IMO..............

Wong Shun Leung.

........................of course in competitions things are different. There are rules, regulations, judges and doctors all their to make decisions fair and help the injured. Also there is protective and padded equipment in play.

Wong Shun Leung.

[...] You see there are too many variables to find a positive answer to all this. The best we can do is to enjoy the experience of training and developing and should the need to use it arise the outcome will not be known until after
    I agree. A good point well made.

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    KPM I am not demanding people prove how knowledgeable or capable they are I am saying that when people talk about things they are not really doing then they are just idly speculating. If you want to exchange idle speculation with others idly speculating that's fine with me. It's a free country with freedom of speech. Why get annoyed when some one points out that what you are doing is armchair idle speculation then? If you are an honest person I'd think you'd have no problem saying yeah it is just speculation.
    My point...is that you don't know whether someone is "idling spectulating" or not just from a discussion forum. So what is the point in constantly saying the same **** thing over and over in every discussion? An honest person would just accept what people are saying at face value and realize that....again....Difficult to tell what people are really like until you meet them and impossible to tell how capable they are at expressing their MA.