Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bak mei?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    Thanks! How's your training going? What is your class like? If you don't mind.

Buby
    It is an awesome class!. I got to meet and have dim sum with Sifu's teacher. Sifu has been doing Bak mei for like four decades..I've had the priviledge to see 10-70 year olds demo Jik Bo. I love seeing that person's original styles stances and bridges come out under the Bak mei structure. It saddens me that by the time I get good in like ten years Sifu will be near retiring. Makes me upset when I or my buddy misses a class. Random. Yall need to peep BLACK DYNAMITE LMAO@ "Dont call n interrupt my kung fu" when Jai White says kung fu treachery I just die.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    It is an awesome class!. I got to meet and have dim sum with Sifu's teacher. Sifu has been doing Bak mei for like four decades..I've had the priviledge to see 10-70 year olds demo Jik Bo. I love seeing that person's original styles stances and bridges come out under the Bak mei structure. It saddens me that by the time I get good in like ten years Sifu will be near retiring. Makes me upset when I or my buddy misses a class. Random. Yall need to peep BLACK DYNAMITE LMAO@ "Dont call n interrupt my kung fu" when Jai White says kung fu treachery I just die.
    Sounds awesome! Ten years? Bro, train every day and most importantly train for real. Most people get caught up on forms, ging in forms, two man drills and forget about real fighting. Also, whatever you sifu teaches you, you need to pressure test it. Grab a buddy of yours that fights (we all have boys who like to fight..LOLOL) and do hands with him. You don't go into kickboxing mode, but really train the hands/legs/theories your sifu got you working on. Bro, Jik Bo is a excellent form to start with. Very easy to use once you break it apart. Its a simple one two combo, but can be trained differently depending on what you are trying to do to your opponent.

Black Dynamite was the shhhhh. Funny as hell.

Bless,

Buby

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    Why would you think it will take you 10 years to get good in Bak mei ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Why would you think it will take you 10 years to get good in Bak mei ??

Good point, make it 15....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

hello all been a few years since i posted here, but since that last vid was about Sifu Lee in New Zealand, my bai mei sifu i thought i might add a comment.

Jumping: Sifu Lee refers to this look as the body coiling/contracting into the strike and as stated earlier because there is no real target and the form is done somewhat to provide agood showcase, the movement gets exagerated.
    In training the movement isnt stressed as much.

Wushu: Gary is partially right sifu was a wushu judge for tai chi and san shou, he doesnt really teach anything with wushu flavour(cept 24 frame tai chi), mainly because fighting is always his 1st aspect.
    Sifu Lee's bai mei is enfluenced by his study of chen tai chi and his retirement to N.Z allowed him time to reflect on the power generation and techniques.

I agree with gary if anything calling itself ba mei doesnt have some physical relation to hk or futshan then its not bak mei(personally i dont even like some futshan, but they have called it bai mei longer than i have trained so i cant comment much on that).

The most important lesson i leanred is that bai mei is very fractured and there is no point worry about it.
    There is no technique that speed cannot defeat......

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Good point, make it 15....
    LMAO !!!
    Nice one.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I better hurry up then haha

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger on Duty View Post
    hello all been a few years since i posted here, but since that last vid was about Sifu Lee in New Zealand, my bai mei sifu i thought i might add a comment.

Jumping: Sifu Lee refers to this look as the body coiling/contracting into the strike and as stated earlier because there is no real target and the form is done somewhat to provide agood showcase, the movement gets exagerated.

Wushu: Gary is partially right sifu was a wushu judge for tai chi and san shou, he doesnt really teach anything with wushu flavour(cept 24 frame tai chi), mainly because fighting is always his 1st aspect.
    Sifu Lee's bai mei is enfluenced by his study of chen tai chi and his retirement to N.Z allowed him time to reflect on the power generation and techniques.

I agree with gary if anything calling itself ba mei doesnt have some physical relation to hk or futshan then its not bak mei(personally i dont even like some futshan, but they have called it bai mei longer than i have trained so i cant comment much on that).

The most important lesson i leanred is that bai mei is very fractured and there is no point worry about it.
    Hi, where in NZ are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger on Duty View Post

Thanks Tiger, that was my thinking as well.

How have you been? How is Sifu Lee these days, its been very quiet from your side of the pond.

I'm not Gary, I'm the other one.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    LMAO !!!
    Nice one.
    (rimshot)...

I can offer this thought on the subject - if you can already fight, you can learn to fight USING Pak Mei quicker than if you don't.

There is a 'juice' you can add to any martial art with some Pak Mei skills. I'm not just talking about techniques, but more. That's one reason they call it a Master's style. But, that's not the same as learning the style.

Learning the style is zeno's paradox.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 03-26-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    I better hurry up then haha
    Did I say, 15, Sorry, I meant 20.....slip of the tongue.

I dunno, maybe 25? LOL
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    (rimshot)...

I can offer this thought on the subject - if you can already fight, you can learn to fight USING Pak Mei quicker than if you don't.

There is a 'juice' you can add to any martial art with some Pak Mei skills. I'm not just talking about techniques, but more. That's one reason they call it a Master's style. But, that's not the same as learning the style.

Learning the style is zeno's paradox.
    Agree with all the above.
    Pak Mei found me after more than 15 years in other style(s), and have stepped in and out of the ring so I know exactly what you mean.

I'm lucky my sparring partner started Bak Mei on the same day as me and we both like to fight so I have no doubt that I will get the style soon enough. Sifu is so **** flexible four decades into the art I know I have a long way to go when it comes to using gung fu to age more gracefully. Sifu does the 3 internals as well as BM seeing him correct an old man's posture and teaching a kid to jump I know it will take a few years. hopefully not like 2.5 decades, lol.

Its all good, Sifu Lee only teaches privately now.

He lives quite aways from me so ive taken up with Sifu Wong, studying baji chuan with a side portion of bagua zhang and a desert of pigua zhang.
    Now that im no longer doing shiftwork, ive completed the external students baji, learnt 3 routines/techniques of bagua as warm ups and for body coiling(silk reeling) and softness and have started pigua as a complement for the baji.

Have to add i love the baji, those elbow techniques are just awesome.
    Lineage is from li shu wen via Taiwan, lucky again with my Sifu he is disciple to GM Liu.
    Dont think i ever thought i would have a chance to study under 2 such skilled masters, but glad they chose auckland lol.
    Also never intended studying more than one style, but im happy with what ive got.
    I might not end up being bruce lee but i will be able to pass on 1-2 styles with confidence that there tradition is upheld for anther generation.

I should really get back to Sifu Lee and finish upto 9 steps, which is the furthest a non disciple can go.

My sihing (sifu lee)terence has completed the pak mei and through his hard work was rewarded with a disciple position, he deserves it for sure the best fighter from our club, also totally pak mei hard core lol.

hows life treating you yum cha, yeh i did get you mixed up with garry for abit there, my apologies havent been on any forums for a few years.
    hope you and your master are well, i expect you can crush coconuts with your testicles now
    There is no technique that speed cannot defeat......

Does anyone know how Cheung Lai Chuen passed away? all I found was "debilitating disease"...I'm curious if some gung fu can be bad on the heart holding the breath and squeezing the muscles and all...