Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Avengers!

I know, right?

Foreign release first. That's interesting.

Our local theater is doing a marathon this Thursday. All six movies for only $20 (and a day of your life).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Foreign release first. That's interesting.

Our local theater is doing a marathon this Thursday. All six movies for only $20 (and a day of your life).
    This may be a trend, doing the foreign releases first.
    Most blockbusters make the bulk of their money outside of N.America I would think.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

thats pretty much the new game...because foreign markets are paying extra to get the films before north america. the avengers was well into the black before they even shot the movie which is why they let the budget go up so astronomically high..at a time when studios dont want films that exceed 100million.

Greetings,

The foreign release of a movie IS the way to go now days. It avoids the machetes of the American cinema critics. Their shoddy reviews can ruin the international success of a movie. And a good international response will positively influence the domestic gross as well. Talk about word of mouth.

A movie marathon was done like that in the 1970's for all five of the Planet of the Apes movies.

mickey

I went to one of those!

One of my high school buddies was heavy into Planet of the Apes and had made his own Cornelius costume. It was an all-nighter at this dive theater, that has long since been demolished. I remember they served bananas at the snack bar. It was great fun.

There was also a marathon leading up to the release of HP7. When I went to the screener, there were some people in costume who had done the first six movies over the previous two days. And I remember Star Wars marathons.

I've always thought a Chinese Ghost Story marathon would be fun.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's all about Scarlett

May 02, 2012
    Scarlett Johansson gets Walk of Fame star
    By Ann Oldenburg, USA TODAY
    Updated 2h 49m ago

By Matt Sayles, AP

Time to take a glamour break. Scarlett Johansson posed on her star today on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

While her Black Widow costume (which you'll see when Marvel's The Avengers opens Friday) provided some wardrobe malfunctions, today's outfit appeared to be problem-free.

ScarJo got star No. 2,470 in the motion picture category. She recently wrapped production on the independent film Under The Skin and next up will portray Janet Leigh in the film Alfred Hitch**** and the Making of Psycho, opposite Anthony Hopkins.
    Hold the phone. Wardrobe malfunctions for Black Widow? Now that might be worth sitting through six films for...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the avengers is hands down the greatest super hero movie ever made...period....double period....triple period...ill be vague as to not spoil anything.

i went to one of theses all day events...they showed all the movies leading up to the avengers...and watching all of them you notice that marvel had this all planned out...they were meticulous with it. the goal 8 years in the making was to make the avengers movie...thats dedication...meanwhile warners cant put a jla movie together because they dont want to mix the batman and superman franchises...lame!!!!!! avengers just mixed 5 franchises together in one movie...and knocked it out the park big time!!! the action was there...the comedy...was especially there...but there were some great dramatic moments as well...in the village voice here(i hate when they review action films they seem inept at it. stick to the art house garbage) in nyc...they said there was no feeling of danger and to that i say bull****...SPOILER ALERT:

there was a scene with scarlett johansons black widow and the hulk that felt like a freaking horror movie...like seriously it was scary!!!

loved it..cant say enough about it...its a two and a half hour movie...and at the end i still wanted another 30 minutes.

Thanks Doug.
    I am really looking forward to this movie and, like you said, have nothing but praise from Marvels foresight and dedication and planning.
    Well Done.

No way would we pass up this screener

Read Assembling the Avengers by Patrick Lugo.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm stoked for this. Though I still feel that The Dark Knight Rises is going to absolutely annihilate it.

However, I'm also hoping the success of Avengers, critically and financially, will kick WB/DC into gear to finally realize the Justice League on film.

I know Nolan is their golden boy now, and they aren't going to put him in a position to force anything with the Batman franchise, but maybe they can nut up and plant the seeds in Man of Steel.

s_j ftw!

may the fourth be with you

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    may the fourth be with you

lol thats a good one
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Now that they have all these guys in independent films, I'd like to see this move:

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    I'm stoked for this. Though I still feel that The Dark Knight Rises is going to absolutely annihilate it.

However, I'm also hoping the success of Avengers, critically and financially, will kick WB/DC into gear to finally realize the Justice League on film.

I know Nolan is their golden boy now, and they aren't going to put him in a position to force anything with the Batman franchise, but maybe they can nut up and plant the seeds in Man of Steel.
    doubt it...honestly...and im saying this as a fan of dark knight....this movie gave you what you want in a super hero movie...nolan doesnt make the batman movies about batman batman is a cardboard cut out...we never see the detective work, none of the intelligent and ingenious that is batman...nolans batman is a blunt object...meanwhile the villians are the ones who are more intellectual and always a step ahead of him...its just eh....i want to see a batman more like the comic books.

as for justice league movie...never going to happen...at least not with batman and superman...warners doesnt want to mix the franchises...despite the fact that marvel has proved it profitable.