View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 958 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 45885890894895695795895996096810081058 ... LastLast
Results 14,356 to 14,370 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    You mean finally done filming? Or do you mean finally going to start on it? Because he's been starting on it since the '90's.
    It was started in the 80s cause he was talking about it in 1989.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

seriously, how many times has he filmed this movie? he started in the 80's talking about it and even had a script written. i've read that original script and it only left me shaking my head in wonderment who would be dumb enough to finance something so ridiculous. obviously, nobody. then there was the "filmmaker" who was hooked up with the soards, and was the big ticket to getting it done. that was late 80's. what about the big "premiere" at his tournament where everybody was pumped about getting to see it only to be let down when they actually got to see camcorder footage of his visit to the homeland. apparently, after the film was edited there was only about 20 minutes of footage they could use for the "movie", and everything had to be refilmed. anyone remember the giant posters he had made that looked like theater posters? wow! how pumped was everybody that "The Grandmaster" was finally coming. and those kinds of stories goes on and on. i mean really, after almost 30 years of "filming", couldn't somebody get it right? i'm betting after this version is "edited", it'll have to start all over because they won't be able to explain the fact he's aged 30 years (without makeup) during the span of a 2 hour movie! now let me ask you, if he doesn't hesitate to lie about the movie, what makes anyone thinks he's telling the truth about "creating" all that material? under oath? i really don't think he cares, after all he can always plead ignorance of the english language. and, i can understand the difficulty he has with understanding it. after all, he's only been here since 1964, gotten a degree in engineering (at an english speaking university), and was working on a dissertation for a phD. yeah, i'm sure english is tough for him to understand. everybody knows he didn't create that material, his brother has the original notes on all of it that he wrote long before coming to the US. remember the little fiasco suit he filed against hamilton claiming he created all that? hiang appeared in court with his notes and crushed sin's claim. he produced notes on everything from short kata to short stick and all the rest. maybe hiang has the same capacity that sin always talked about when meditating. you know the one where he could meditate and leave his body and travel around in space and time. i'm betting hiang did some meditative time travel, saw what would happen about sin's claims, came back and wrote up a bunch of notes to embarrass his big brother in court. what a shame, because honestly the "truth" about the entire system, its lineage, etc is far more interesting than what's been fabricated. gotta give sin credit where credit is due, though. he's built a real cash cow, unfortunately at the expense of selling out his heritage.

Blog Entries
    Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I noticed that inconsistency too. The problem is the more inconsistent this story becomes, the less credibility it has. You can look at it as proof he is lying, and can't keep his story straight. Or you could look at it like that material is "shaolin kung fu". However, it's clear that he tried to copyright this material regardless of its origins. So he can't have it both ways and shows a willingness to be loose with the truth even under oath.

If the attorney asking the questions picked up on this inconsistency, then he might have been able to go back and question him specifically on this apparent inconsistency. But he might have chosen not to for strategic purposes. When I'm deposing people I'm often happy to let them stand on a lie instead of trying to point out the inconsistency on the record and give them a chance to explain. It can be a good legal strategy when litigating a case, but it won't help us much here.
    Judge Pen is exactly correct. I did not pursue the questioning further since I wanted to impeach him at trial if it went that far. It was obvious that he was between a rock and a hard place. Either testify that what he teaches is ancient and therefore not copyrightable, or state he created it and that all of his claims to teach an ancient art are lies. I figured he would try to come up with some lame excuse if I asked him at the deposition to explain his numerous inconsistencies, so better to let him squirm on the hard questions in front of the jury. Of course, another factor was that the federal court has a local rule limiting the number of hours a deposition may last and I was approaching that limit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UCT View Post
    Judge Pen is exactly correct. I did not pursue the questioning further since I wanted to impeach him at trial if it went that far. It was obvious that he was between a rock and a hard place. Either testify that what he teaches is ancient and therefore not copyrightable, or state he created it and that all of his claims to teach an ancient art are lies. I figured he would try to come up with some lame excuse if I asked him at the deposition to explain his numerous inconsistencies, so better to let him squirm on the hard questions in front of the jury. Of course, another factor was that the federal court has a local rule limiting the number of hours a deposition may last and I was approaching that limit.
    So did Sin The' lose? What was the result?

Did I miss something?

I'm only on page 900 of reading through the thread so forgive me if this was already covered. UCT, are you the lawyer who led the deposition?

Shaolin Do Movie

So, What is the supposed name of this movie? I remember Master Kemper mentioning this movie in 2002 or 2003, and for some reason can't remember the movie's name. I would enjoy watching it, could not be any worse than Crippled Masters (at least I hope). Would actually enjoy seeing it. Anyone know what it is to be titled?

Quote Originally Posted by nautavac View Post
    So, What is the supposed name of this movie?
    What else would it be?

THE GRANDMASTER
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I'm only on page 900 of reading through the thread so forgive me if this was already covered. UCT, are you the lawyer who led the deposition?
    Yes, I am.

Yes, I am.
    I am certain you're going to get a lot of questions here, then. And being there firsthand, your comments will most likely carry a lot of weight for the folks on this forum.

With all due respect, are you able to offer any proof that you are who you say you are? In this case it would seem your credibility depends on not being anonymous.

Again, not meant to be disrespectful, just meant to prevent trolling.

I would ask that an unbiased (in this debate) admin verify your identity offline.

I declare shenanigans...
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    I declare shenanigans...
    There are no shenanigans (especially when someone says I'm exactly correct).
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Yes, I am.
    If you were the lawyer, then it was obvious from the depositions that you had reviewed this forum in your preparation. I wish I could get paid by the hour to lurk here....

Perhaps here...

If you were the lawyer, then it was obvious from the depositions that you had reviewed this forum in your preparation. I wish I could get paid by the hour to lurk here....
    ...or here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/arch.../t-114874.html

The case ended so fast I didn't make as much as I normally make on this kind of case. By the way, it was you that called me just after the depositions were published, wasn't it?