Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All you need is one simple technique

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Cool. Just wanted to make sure we are on the same page. In the past I have heard different definitions.

What about defence?
    Defense?
    That's for prom queens on prom night, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    You can

- write a book about 200 techniques (only pictures are needed).
    - publish a DVD for 100 techniques (you can repeat filming until you are satisfy).
    - give a workshop about 50 techniques (you can do in slow speed).
    - demo in public about 25 tecniques (your demo partner will give you opportunity).
    - fight in street about 10 techniques (you are dealing with non-compliant opponent).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Cloud hands vs. anything.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can

- write a book about 200 techniques (only pictures are needed).
    - publish a DVD for 100 techniques (you can repeat filming until you are satisfy).
    - give a workshop about 50 techniques (you can do in slow speed).
    - demo in public about 25 tecniques (your demo partner will give you opportunity).
    - fight in street about 10 techniques (you are dealing with non-compliant opponent).
    1. this is the ultimate Q since the very beginning.

Yes. We may win with only one technique.

However, what if the opponent counters

2. Well I have to have a least 3 techniques.

We may vary or change among the 3.

Why ?

2 techniques can be predicted.

3 variables give you more variation or change.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I've bounced with boxers that have handled themselves against pretty much anything and they now 4 techniques.
    It have never been a case of WHAT you know as much as the case of HOW WELL you can apply it.
    Look at MMA, where you get the broadest examples of technqiues ( since it covers striking and grappling) and you can count the principle techniques used on both hands.
    Looking at fight finishers:
    Strikes: hooks, overhands, elbows, knees and round house are the majority
    throws: hip, slams and trips/sweeps
    Subs: RNC, arm bar, leg lock

The vast majority of fights end with some of the above.
    I totally agree. But I consider tucking my chin as a technique. No? Checking kicks, Stuffing takedowns etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    1. this is the ultimate Q since the very beginning.

Yes. We may win with only one technique.

However, what if the opponent counters

2. Well I have to have a least 3 techniques.

We may vary or change among the 3.

Why ?

2 techniques can be predicted.

3 variables give you more variation or change.

That's kind of the point tho. Even if they know what is coming and know how to defend it, if you drill hard and are better at it than they are, you will find a home for that strike.

I totally agree. But I consider tucking my chin as a technique. No? Checking kicks, Stuffing takedowns etc etc...
    Without these techniques, all your offensive stuff can quickly become useless...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Without these techniques, all your offensive stuff can quickly become useless...
    Word. That was my point.

A boxer may have 4 offensive techniques that he is very good at, but if he can't stop you from hitting a hard double, WTF is gonna do? Punch the bottom of your feet as you stomp his ass or tear his arm apart???

Sure and you can go on and one and on and from 4 you can get 104 but that's not really the issue is it?
    The issue is that you do NOT need a huge catalog of techniques to be an effective fighter or even a great MA.
    The reason (some) systems do have MANY is that they take into account different body types, genders and mental attitudes and as such have a wider repertoire of techniques from which different types can draw upon.

Sure and you can go on and one and on and from 4 you can get 104 but that's not really the issue is it?
    The issue is that you do NOT need a huge catalog of techniques to be an effective fighter or even a great MA.
    The reason (some) systems do have MANY is that they take into account different body types, genders and mental attitudes and as such have a wider repertoire of techniques from which different types can draw upon.
    And it keeps people interested, some people get bored always working the same material...if your bored it will be a lot harder to get motivated to go to the gym...helps ti keep things fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    And it keeps people interested, some people get bored always working the same material...if your bored it will be a lot harder to get motivated to go to the gym...helps ti keep things fresh.
    that is the problem when you try to make money from martial arts.

the goal of good martial arts instruction is to make a good fighter as fast as possible , then send him on his way.

the goal of good business is maximize customer retention.

only way for your student to stay, yet go through monotonous real training, is for him to stay through the bonds of friendship and loyalty, not cult conditioning, money investment psychology, carrot on a stick ranking, or form collecting.

when your student stays because he is your brother, not because he wants something from you, then you dont have to worry about content or material.
    Last edited by bawang; 11-22-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

the goal of good martial arts instruction is to make a good fighter as fast as possible , then send him on his way.

only way for your student to stay, yet go through monotonous real training, is for him to stay through the bonds of friendship and loyalty, not cult conditioning, money investment psychology, carrot on a stick ranking, or form collecting.

when your student stays because he is your brother, not because he wants something from you, then you dont have to worry about content or material.
    +1

The goal isn't to keep your student from getting bored.

If I need to entertain them, they might as well leave.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

Well that's one of the problems with teaching for money...amongst many others...I agree you should be trying to make them competent fighters as quickly as possible...I don't like ranking systems or form collecting...however, what draws me to the CMAs is their depth and complexity.

Some peoples personalities want to keep mastering new techniques and adding them to their repertoire, others are perfectly happy with a few high percentage techniques, I don't think one way is right or wrong, but keeping it fun for yourself is important so you keep dragging yourself back into the gym.

The catalog of techniques I know is quite astounding.
    In the 30+ years of MA training and in the various systems I have learned, it would exceed the 100's quite easily.
    I use such a small percentage of them it isn't even funny.

The catalog of techniques I know is quite astounding.
    In the 30+ years of MA training and in the various systems I have learned, it would exceed the 100's quite easily.
    I use such a small percentage of them it isn't even funny.
    I think the constant adding of techniques is a cyclical thing, just my theory...like an arms race, you try to get one up on your opponents by having a bigger arsenal until it gets to the point you can't possibly master and utilize so many techniques, then people strip down and simplify, using the streamlined and efficent against the complex...I imagine this cycle has happened many times over the centuries...

Think about fighting...why not just use boxing? Well if you face a good kicker he can keep a boxer out of his range. So let's kick box. But if you face a wrestler and he takes you down, what then? Let's add wrestling, but now we go to the ground against a submission grappler, we need an answer for that...we've got the choice of working on a broad variety of techniques, or going back to boxing, as in the beginning of the story, and just get so good at it that we can't be kicked, taken down or submitted.