Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Ninjas!

Continued from previous post

Here's the transcript

< Japan's Ninja Shortage
    July 16, 2018 4:26 PM ET
    SALLY HERSHIPS, BYLINE: I just got back from Japan. And the country is having this problem, depopulation.

STACEY VANEK SMITH, HOST:

Which is first and foremost a population problem. But, you know, depopulation is also an economic problem. For an economy to run, you need two things - number one, things for people to buy, and number two, people to buy those things.

HERSHIPS: And a smaller population means less of both of those. The problem is especially bad in Japan's countryside in places like Iga. Iga is a small city in central Japan, and it's losing 1,000 people a year. But it does have one thing going for it. It is the birthplace of the ninja.

(SOUNDBITE OF DROP ELECTRIC SONG, "WAKING UP TO THE FIRE")

HERSHIPS: I'm Sally Herships.

VANEK SMITH: And I'm Stacey Vanek Smith. And today on THE INDICATOR, fighting depopulation with ninjas.

(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)

VANEK SMITH: So - OK. Most of what I know about ninjas - probably all I know about ninjas I know from the movies, like "American Ninja" or "Ninja Assassin," "Revenge Of The Ninja..."

HERSHIPS: (Laughter).

VANEK SMITH: ..."Revenge Of The Ninja II: This Time, It's Personal." But, of course, ninjas were a real thing. This was a real job. And it dates back to medieval Japan.

HERSHIPS: Yeah. And I spoke to a ninja master in Iga, Japan, a sensei, and a ninja scholar. And they were both kind of annoyed because there are all these misconceptions about ninjas that come from all these Hollywood movies, like some of the ones you just mentioned, like that fighting is the biggest part of their job. It wasn't. Ninjas were mercenaries, but they were also spies. Their job was to try to blend in to collect information and scout out the enemy. So they would often appear in disguise, maybe dressed like a farmer or a low-key Buddhist priest. They also used psychology and supposedly magic.

VANEK SMITH: Oh, I like this.

HERSHIPS: Yeah. That is what Sakae Okamoto is counting on, that level of interest. Okamoto is the mayor of Iga City.

SAKAE OKAMOTO: (Through interpreter) I think people around the world adore ninjas. And they want to become a ninja or want to see ninja.

VANEK SMITH: A few years ago, the population of Mayor Okamoto's city, Iga, was about 100,000. But like lots of areas in Japan, Iga is suffering from depopulation. It's facing a shortage of those two key things that you need to keep an economy humming - stuff to sell and people to buy the stuff. And in cities like Iga, a lot of young people want out. They want life in the big city, like Tokyo or Yokohama.

So Mayor Okamoto knew he had to do something to develop his local economy to create jobs and economic security so that Iga would feel like this great place to stay, a great place to live and a great place to raise kids. The city had in its past promoted its ninja heritage to attract tourists. So this was kind of a natural go-to. And so, Sally, you went to Iga, and you went to talk to Mayor Okamoto about this ninja tourism plan that he had.

HERSHIPS: And can you tell me what you're wearing? Because we can't see it on the radio.

OKAMOTO: (Through interpreter) Now I am wearing costume that is available only to the highest-ranking ninja, so the only other person who can wear this currently was the mayor.

VANEK SMITH: OK. So you have to describe this outfit.

VANEK SMITH: What does the highest-ranking ninja wear?

HERSHIPS: So Mayor Okamoto showed up. He was wearing full ninja gear. He - his sleeves were made of black fishnet. He had on this long, red robe and a black headband kind of like Sylvester Stallone in "Rambo."

VANEK SMITH: Is that what ninjas wore?

HERSHIPS: Well, it's the highest-ranking ninja, Stacey (laughter).

VANEK SMITH: I've been watching all the wrong movies. And apparently this outfit is more than just a fashion choice. So right now, Japan is having a major tourist boom. Last year, the country saw just under 29 million tourists. That is almost a 20 percent increase from the year before. But Iga wasn't really getting a piece of that. And Mayor Okamoto wanted to bring these tourists and their dollars to Iga.

HERSHIPS: And one of the prime destinations the mayor wants them to visit is Iga's Ninja Museum. That's...

VANEK SMITH: Who isn't going to visit Iga's Ninja Museum?

HERSHIPS: I visited the museum. There's a lot to see. Everything is behind glass. There are a lot of scary-looking weapons like poison darts, shuriken, the throwing stars you see in the movies...

VANEK SMITH: What's a shuriken?

HERSHIPS: It's - those are those throwing stars that you see ninjas whipping around in the movies.

VANEK SMITH: Oh, they did have those.

HERSHIPS: They did.

VANEK SMITH: OK. I feel so much better.

HERSHIPS: (Laughter) There were a lot of informational ninja videos, so you can learn about shurikens.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

UNIDENTIFIED NARRATOR: (Speaking Japanese).

HERSHIPS: So it was pretty quiet. But at 11 o'clock, the first ninja show of the day takes place. It's outdoors...

VANEK SMITH: There's a ninja show?

HERSHIPS: Oh, yes.

(SOUNDBITE OF DRUMS)

HERSHIPS: By that point, the museum, which had been empty, it was now packed. There were all these parents and kids, a lot of teenage boys. The stage fills with smoke. And then ninjas show up.

(SOUNDBITE OF FIGHTING)

VANEK SMITH: I mean, so in a lot of ways, this is working. This is proving to be a tourist draw. And of course, this has not gone unnoticed. A lot of other places are kind of looking at the ninja phenomenon too and hoping to attract these dollars and these bodies. For instance, you can now be trained as a ninja apprentice in the city of Nagoya. Tokyo is building a new ninja museum. And Koga, another city about an hour and a half north of Iga, also claims to be the original home of the ninja. And this means that Mayor Okamoto, despite his innovation to bring people in via the ninja, is experiencing some serious competition.

OKAMOTO: (Through interpreter) Right now in Iga, we are working very hard to promote ninja tourism and try to get the most of economic outcome. For example, we hold this ninja festival between late April to around the beginning of mid-May until the end, what's called the Golden Week in Japan, a whole day for about one month. During this period, visitors and also local people come here. Everybody will be dressed like a ninja and walks around and enjoy themselves. But recently, I feel that it's not enough.

VANEK SMITH: Mayor Okamoto wants people to do more than just spend one day at the festival. He wants tourists to stay overnight in Iga. So the city is planning to relocate its city hall. And in its place, it's going to build a second ninja museum.

VANEK SMITH: It will have two.

HERSHIPS: Two. Two.

VANEK SMITH: This time, it's personal.

VANEK SMITH: The new one is going to incorporate a lot of virtual experiences. The mayor's office did not disclose the budget, but Mayor Okamoto did say that Iga has backing from the central government to help build the second ninja museum. Japan's government is funding ninjas. This is the Japanese tax dollar - or yen - at work.

HERSHIPS: But in order to do that, it needs more people to live and work in the city. And that part is harder, which means a problem for the mayor because how are you supposed to build and staff a new museum with fewer workers? And that labor shortage, which is what it is, it's not just construction workers and architects. It also extends to, Stacey, ninjas.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Continued from previous post

VANEK SMITH: There's a ninja shortage?

HERSHIPS: There's a ninja shortage - or, to be accurate, a ninja performer shortage (laughter).

VANEK SMITH: I'm calling it a ninja shortage.

HERSHIPS: I'll let you have that (laughter).

VANEK SMITH: Could there be too many ninjas?

HERSHIPS: Never (laughter).

VANEK SMITH: I think we need more ninjas...

HERSHIPS: (Laughter) More ninjas.

VANEK SMITH: ...In the world right now.

HERSHIPS: The unemployment rate in Japan right now is 2.5 percent. And that is super low. It is hard to find workers. Now imagine trying to find someone who knows how to shoot a poison dart through a blowpipe and is really good at it - like, really good.

VANEK SMITH: And also, Mayor Okamoto needs to find people who will be happy working in the countryside. I mean, Iga is hours away from Tokyo. But this job does have a lot to offer. First of all, the pay is quite competitive. Today, ninja performers can earn anywhere from about $23,000 to about $85,000, which is a really solid salary...

VANEK SMITH: ...And, in fact, a lot more than real ninjas used to earn in medieval Japan. According to the International Ninja Research Center, home of data about ninjas, in Iga, the - your typical ninja earned between 8,000 and $17,000 a year. Those salaries were adjusted for inflation. So that's - I mean, I hope they got tips.

HERSHIPS: So far (laughter), Okamoto is hopeful. Japan is divided into 47 prefectures, kind of like states. And Mie Prefecture - which is where Iga is - last year, the prefecture attracted 43 new young residents.

VANEK SMITH: Like, 43, period?

HERSHIPS: Like, 43. And...

VANEK SMITH: That seems low.

HERSHIPS: It is because at the same time, Iga, his city, it keeps losing 1,000 people a year.

VANEK SMITH: Oh, so really, the 43 people - like, this isn't - it's still losing people.

HERSHIPS: (Laughter) It's still losing people.

VANEK SMITH: Still, 43 is a start. And Iga is hoping the ninja draw will gain momentum and maybe turn things around for Iga and maybe even bring some wannabe ninjas in from other parts of the world to train and study in Japan.

HERSHIPS: So maybe ninjas will help save Japan, Stacey.

VANEK SMITH: Hey, if ninjas save Japan...

VANEK SMITH: ...That would be the best story of all time.

HERSHIPS: What would the title for that movie be?

VANEK SMITH: "The Way Of The Ninja?" No.

HERSHIPS: "The Ninja" - "Ninja Redemption?"

VANEK SMITH: "The Ninja Strikes Back."

HERSHIPS: Oh, yeah. "The Ninja" - "Ninja Comeback."

VANEK SMITH: What was the last "Star Wars?" "Return Of The Jedi."

SALLY HERSHIPS AND STACEY VANEK SMITH, BYLINE: "Return Of The Ninja."

VANEK SMITH: Special thanks to our translator, Keiko Siyema (ph).

I really must visit Iga someday. Maybe I could do it for work.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fake News

Ninjas be mad.

Iga City says reports that they are running out of ninja is “fake news”
    Koh Ruide 5 hours ago

Mayor baffled by sudden surge of foreigners calling in and wanting to become the next Naruto.

Iga in Mie Prefecture is perhaps best known as the city of ninja, a place where the famous Iga Ninja once operated from. The district is so steeped in shadow warrior tradition that aspiring university students even have to answer ninja-related exam questions to gain admission.

But recently, news of a severe ninja shortage in Iga emerged on a number of English-language websites around the world. This is despite the reportedly high competitive salary of ninja performers, which ranges anywhere from US$23,000 to $85,000.

One English-language podcast reported that the ninja city suffered from a population decline, and suggested that “Iga is hoping the ninja draw will gain momentum and maybe turn things around for Iga and even bring some wannabe ninjas in from other parts of the world to train and study in Japan.”

▼ It was opinion, but people took it literally.

Rumors that Iga suffered a shortage of highly-paid ninja performers quickly spread like wildfire, causing aspiring shadow warriors to quickly call in for a chance to become part of Japan’s ninja history.

Iga’s mayor, Sakae Okamoto, was confused by the surge of calls. According to him, he was interviewed by an American reporter on 5 July, but the content only touched on regional ninja promotion efforts, and not about recruiting ninja at all.

▼ So for the record, Iga is NOT looking for ninja recruits.

The ninja city has received a total of 120 calls from 14 different countries since then, and has even warned residents of the ongoing “fake news” on its official city website. Among the callers was one who thought to boost his chances of landing a $85,000-a-year ninja performer job by saying he had a black belt.

An amused Okamoto said of the ninja hopefuls, “I hope they’ll take this chance and come visit Iga.”

It’s wonderful to know that Japan’s ninja culture is still appreciated by many foreigners, and though Iga isn’t currently recruiting more shadow warriors into its ranks, they are actually looking for the deadliest shuriken slinger on the planet.

Sources: Iga City via The Mainichi Shimbun, IT media
    Top image: Photo AC
    Insert images: Pakutaso (1, 2)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ninja Run

And then there's this (I highly suggest clicking the link and checking out this website)

NINJA RUN
    WHO IS THE BEST NINJA?
    Deceive your enemies, and ace the missions! Who is the greatest Ninja?

2 min.from Fushimi Inari Shirine
    Take photos in
    the most photogenic spot in Japan

10 min. from Kyoto St.
    So convenient to go anywhere!
    Excellent access to sightseeing locations.

What is NINJA RUN

The one and only RPG style Ninja experience in the historical city – Kyoto.
    Dress up like a Ninja,「 carry out the assigned missions and become the greatest Ninja in Japan. 」
    Join URUWASIKI Ninja squad, and clear the missions given by Master HIKARIKAGE!

Hundred years ago in Sengoku period, Ninjas existed in Japan.
    In the battlefield, they sneaked behind enemies’ line to collect confidential information.
    They excelled in disguise and psychology, and were familiar with the use of fencing, fire and sorcery.

Time flies, and it seems like Ninjas have faded away with the history.
    However, have you heard the whispers of a secret Ninja squad that still exists in Fushimi Inari area?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is dated

Sorry we didn't catch this earlier. It strikes me as funny - ninjas as emissaries.

‘Way of the Ninja’ free demonstrations bring authentic Ninja to South Florida
    By: Savannah Whaley |August 28, 2018

The Consulate General of Japan in Miami and its community partners, the FIU Asian Studies Program, will present “Way of the Ninja” by a living descendant of the ancient Iga Ninja clan in a free presentation in Miami on Wednesday, Sept. 5.

Iga Ninja, Ninjutsu artist and Ninja stunt performer Tomoyoshi Ukita will demonstrate the use of Japanese swords, shuriken (throwing ninja stars), shichihode (the art of disguise), kaginawa (the art of grappling hook and rope) and kusarigama (the art of chain and sickle). Ukita has presented the Iga style of Ninja artists in appearances throughout the world including in the U.S., Spain, France, Italy, China and Korea.

“Ninjas have been widely portrayed in pop culture and we are excited to be able to introduce South Florida audiences to the true history of the Ninjas and offer them a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet a Ninja and see him in action,” said Deputy Consul General Ogihara.

“Way of the Ninja” will be presented Sept. 5, 10:45 a.m., at the Herbert & Nicole Wertheim Performing Arts Center at FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus, 10910 SW 17 St. No reservations are required.

For more information visit the Consulate-General of Japan in Miami at www.miami.us.emb-japan.go.jp/ or call 305-530-9090.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ninjas you can see

'Customer service ninja' and 'public-relations ninja' so don't work for me because the 'nin' in ninja means invisibility and customer service and public-relations are both highly visible so it implies they are really bad at ninjitsu or aren't smart enough to look into the meaning of their job title.

Quartz
    Who Wants to Be a Ninja? Job Titles Get a Rebranding
    The Wall Street Journal
    Nov 14, 2018

Financial-services firm OneAmerica has been around since 1877. To freshen its image with young recruits, it recently came up with a new title for a data-analyst job: data wrangler.

Among younger workers, “the perception of the industry is that we’re old and crotchety,” said Todd Shock, vice president of data and analytics at the Indianapolis company. The newfangled title, on the other hand, suggests agility and willingness to take risks, he argued.

“If I can put ‘data wrangler’ on a guy’s business card, and that’s what gets him here and excited, why not?” he said.

As the workplace changes, more companies are sprucing up job titles as a way to attract talent in a tight labor market. According to a 2018 survey by compensation consulting firm Pearl Meyer, 40% of firms said they use titles to attract prospective employees, up from 31% in 2009.

In the aftermath of the global recession a decade ago, many firms tried to sweeten job offers through title inflation, tacking on words like “executive” or “vice president” in lieu of more cash. These days, said Rebecca Toman, vice president of Pearl Meyer’s survey business unit, firms are using titles to show “you can have an impact or make a difference,” especially for younger workers.

The standard “human resources” title, for example, has increasingly been replaced as companies seek to pitch the role as one more focused on employee well-being. In the past four years, the percentage of job postings seeking “head of people” has jumped more than threefold, according to job site Indeed.com.

Meanwhile, ads seeking ninjas or rock stars—think “customer service ninja” or “sales rock star”—also have shot up.

Joe Hill, 39, recently worked as a “developer evangelist” at a Virginia-based web application firm, helping educate potential clients about the company’s products. He said the term made him laugh, given that he once planned to become a minister. But he also said he thought it spoke to deeper desires among today’s job seekers: “I want a job to mean something.”

While some changes in title amount to merely a rebranding, some businesses are establishing new roles to reflect changing workplace mores. More companies, including tech firms such as Salesforce Inc., now have a chief ethics officer, for instance. The job is a twist on the traditional chief compliance role, focused more on helping companies navigate the complex terrain of how their business intersects with society and politics than just complying with regulation.

Paul Wolfe, Indeed.com’s senior vice president of human resources, said the trend runs the risk of narrowing the applicant pool because many job seekers—particularly older ones—might not search more out-of-the-box terms as they scour job listings. Mr. Wolfe also cautioned that workers with more atypical-sounding titles on their résumés may find it more challenging to translate their work experience to new prospective employers.

Still, Mr. Wolfe noted that Indeed.com hires “recruitment evangelists,” a title he said reflects the “passion and energy we want someone to exude in the role.”

Many businesses using more distinctive titles argue they can attract the right candidates. At San Francisco-based print company Scalable Press, marketing head Julia Li is hiring for a “growth hacker,” a title that has gained popularity among startups in recent years. She said she is seeking candidates with less traditional marketing backgrounds. “If someone self-identifies as a growth hacker, they typically come with a different skill set: more of a technical background, not afraid to break a few eggs,” she said.

Some argue that rethinking titles can give jobs the dignity they deserve. In Philadelphia, Oliver Frazier, 71, runs a chain of shoeshine stands with the help of around a dozen “shine artists,” as he calls them, who dress in jackets and ties. “They used to call us shoeshine boys,” he said. “I wanted to change that image.”

Identifying his workers as “artists” lets him charge customers a premium, he added.

Expect more companies to allow employees a say in what their titles ultimately look like, experts say. According to Pearl Meyer’s survey, 6% of firms give employees wide latitude in establishing their working title, up from 3.6% in 2009. “If you define your own title, you start taking ownership a lot more immediately,” said Thomas Schoenfelder, senior vice president at human-resources consulting firm Caliper.

Chris Farley, 43, did just that in a recent job, giving himself the title of “public-relations ninja” while working for a Minnesota-based gaming company. “I’ve always been one to push the envelope,” said Mr. Farley, who found the title to be a good icebreaker. “I just wanted to be a little creative.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Ninja Maintenance

i may have posted about this upthread somewhere but when i was running a maintenance department at a resort in the late 90's I branded my crew with that.
    we would often get complimented by guests that they would report a problem and then suddenly it was fixed and they never saw us.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Ninja buses!

Hanging out with a ninja
    World November 21, 2018 08:00 By The Nation
    Aiming to be the gateway to the world of Japanese warriors, Chubu Centrair International Airport has launched a brand new initiative dubbed “Samurai x Ninja Airport”.

The airport recommends that tourists board the Iga Ninja Liner bus service that runs between Nagoya and the village of Iga Ueno in Mie Prefecture. The trip takes about 1 hour and 40 minutes and there are 8 rounds per day. Iga Ninja Liner tickets will be available on January 12 as a special package that can be used as a Nagoya Express Bus ride ticket, the ticket to the ninja village Iga Ueno, admission to the Ninja Museum of Igayu and to the ninja’s weapon “Shuriken” practice activity. Chubu district in the central Japan is the birthplace of three samurai heroes – Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu – and has many interesting places to visit, such as the castle surrounded by stone and various mechanical techniques used by samurai and ninja in the olden days.

The Ninja village Iga Ueno, said to be the origin of the ninja in Japan, is home to the Ninja Museum of Igaryu that gathers knowledge and interest about ninjas in one place and is also a popular tourist spot. Visitors can experience the culture and way of life of the ninja and benefit from a real-life ninja guide. The Karakuri Yashiki Ninja Residence is filled with fun traps and home to the ninja show “Ashura”. Chubu Centrair International Airport is located just 28 minutes from downtown Nagoya. Thai Airways, Japan Airlines and AirAsia X operate direct flights.
    There should be ninja tours in Japan now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes. ENTER TO WIN!

In celebration of Chinese New Year, enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for a Ninja Stress Warrior from Well Go USA! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 2/14/2019.

THREADS:
    Year of the Pig 2019
    Ninjas!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

【VR NINJA DOJO】 Official Trailer #1

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol, you couldn't even say 'i'm just going to leave this right here."

so, a VR game? or VR instructional type of thing?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

【VR NINJA DOJO】 PlayMovie #1

i'm just going to leave this right here.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

in retrospect: that Star Wars kid was just so ahead of the times...

Teenage Afghan Ninja Girls Bring Japanese Martial Arts to Kabul

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips