Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Creation of Wing Chun by Benjamin N. Judkins and Jon Nielson

The Creation of Wing Chun by Benjamin N. Judkins and Jon Nielson

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for THE CREATION OF WING CHUN: A SOCIAL HISTORY OF THE SOUTHERN CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS Autographed by Benjamin N. Judkins and Jon Nielson!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 8/27/15

This is a new academic work from SUNY Press. I highly recommend this to anyone who is seriously interested in the Chinese Martial Arts, especially traditional practitioners. Part I: Hand Combat, Identity, and Civil Society in Guangdong, 1800-1949 is a fascinating read for any Kung Fu person. It provides a inclusive timeline for Jingwu, Hung Mun, Hung Sing, Hakka, and the Central Guoshu Academy from a socioeconomic perspective that is insightful and thought provoking. This is one of the most exciting new contributions to the field.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Entered! Have to try my luck on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Entered! Have to try my luck on this one.
    May as well! Frakkin' thing is like 90 bucks on amazon!!!

This is an academic work

SUNY Press. Scholarly books are always pricey because the print run is limited. What's more, these usually aren't distributed in regular bookstores (if you can even find one of those anymore). Academic works are usually only distributed through academic channels. All the more reason why this particular work is well worth your attention.

Good luck to all of you who are entering. Five of you will win a real treat with this one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hi Gene

I tried to use the information form but it wont let me log in it dont seem to work .

Having read excerpts of the book through Amazon, I must say that it definitely looks very interesting and like there was a lot of hard word and research put into it. I just may have to purchase the kindle version to save me a few bucks when I have $70+ to drop in a leisurely reading kung fu book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Creation-W...der_143845693X
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

What kind of error are you getting, Firehawk4?

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    I tried to use the information form but it wont let me log in it dont seem to work .
    Please forward it to me at Gene@KungFuMagazine.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

WOAH !!! I won a copy! Thanks for the promotion, Gene! TCMAGeeked!

Congrats PalmStriker!

I didn't realize that was you. You lucky brisket hound. This was one of our best sweepstakes promotions for 2015 in terms of prizes.

The prizes are being sent out today. After you receive yours and read it, PS, I hope you'll be able to review it here on this thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How many entries did you receive? I'd like to know just how unlucky I was!
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I didn't realize that was you. You lucky brisket hound. This was one of our best sweepstakes promotions for 2015 in terms of prizes.

The prizes are being sent out today. After you receive yours and read it, PS, I hope you'll be able to review it here on this thread.
    Extreme Luck as it is a rare event that i would win any contest I have entered ~ unless it's a scam, LOL. Thanks again Gene! I will be sure to write a review of the book to post on this thread. * Just finished setting up a Google Blog Domain site that will make it easier for me to compose review and link to KFM.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 10-02-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Preview of Book

Last edited by PalmStriker; 10-13-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Arrow Book Review

BOOK REVIEW of the "Creation of Wing Chun" by Benjamin N. Judkins and Jon Nielson

Reading Benjamin N. Judkins and Jon Nielson's academic study of "The Social History of Southern Chinese Martial Arts" with a focus on the Wing Chun fighting style was for me a familiar and yet unpredictable experience. I have been following the blog entries and articles posted by Ben Judkins at his online site, Kung Fu Tea, and therefore accustomed to his writing style and use of references and well-read researching of subject matter pertaining to historical accuracy, when available, presented to his readers.
    Considering the mythical content of the Traditional Chinese Martial Arts in the development and spread of numerous fighting systems in both Northern and Southern style lineages, the authors have been careful to tread lightly when it comes to introducing any of the creation story images into the text as documented fact but do offer up the various legends as they illustrate aspects of the tumultuous social and political disruptions and changes of the last few hundred years in China.
    Once past a thorough Introduction, the volume is basically split into two parts ~ the first half dealing with the "big picture" of what kind of socio-political environment was in place at the end of the Ming Dynasty, Qing Dynasty, Republic, and Communist revolutionary governance in Mainland China. The differing martial arts styles and family lineages are introduced into this landscape of constant change so that one can understand the criteria behind the need for and use of armed and unarmed fighting skills that would play out in a land torn apart by invasion from foreign powers as well as conflict from within.
    The second half of the book, in contrast, allows the reader insight into the life of Ip Man as the principle driving force in moving the Wing Chun style into the public domain when he fled to Hong Kong at the end of the Republic Era just after WWII. He and other martial arts masters had emigrated from the mainland to advance their fighting systems under the umbrella protectorate of the British Empire as the doors closed shut to the rest of the world.
    I should mention here that this body of work by the authors does not show pictures or "How To" diagrams relating to the form structure or techniques used within the system. There are however, a number of illustrated books and videos that have been produced and made available over the years by others. In-depth indexing of the different branches of Wing Chun that still exist today or their noticeable differences from the Ip Man lineage are intentionally not addressed in this text. What this study does give the reader is a sense of how .....
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 10-14-2015 at 09:47 AM.

(continued from previous post)

this traditional Chinese martial arts fighting style and system has evolved to it's most common practice seen today due to the consolidating effort of Master Ip Man as he chose to elevate the status of Wing Chun towards acceptability within Hong Kong's social establishment to become identified and known throughout the world as a unique methodology of Kung Fu. Movie film star Master Bruce Lee is also featured as a student of Master Ip and credited with his role in the promotion of the Chinese Martial Arts Worldwide. ~ PalmStriker