Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird how..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Hand foot coordination is a fundamental part of wing chun.

But this clip is neither wing chun nor 6 harmonies. What's your point?
    He may not mention in detail but he did mention to "coordinate hand with foot". The issue is, when you throw 5 fast punches in 1 second, do you truly have time to lift your foot and drop your foot 10 times within that 1 second? IMO, he addressed the power generation issue but he didn't address the speed issue (fast combo). Since WC guys like "chain punches", the "speed vs. power" issue is always an interested discussion subject.

IMO, "1 step 3 punches (such as chain punches)" and "1 step 1 punch (such as the boxing clip)" are complete different training. I don't believe Hendrick had ever addressed this issue either.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-04-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Since WC guys like "chain punches", the "speed vs. power" issue is always an interested discussion subject
    When you step the hand lands with the foot. When you are not stepping you are rooted to the ground through the shape of your punch.

..nobody posts here any more.

Always some browsing, never any posting. A shame because it was a great place for funny arguments and different perspectives.

Would be great to see Graham H, Kev, LFJ, Alan Orr, Hendrick, Wayfaring and the other MMA guys, or any of the other controversial posters back posting. If you read it, just do it. No hard feelings
    This forum started to die because there was a small group of people that were rather "malignant" in the way they interacted with others and the moderators would do nothing about it. This became a "not fun" place to be. Gene Cheng seemed to think it was kind of funny and thought no one would really leave. He was wrong. I am only posting now because I on very rare occasion pop in just to see if anything is happening here. I happened to see this thread and thought guy b. deserved a reply. If you care to take the time to wade through it, this old thread pretty much sums up everything that was wrong here and lead to people leaving:

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...-to-this-forum

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    This forum started to die because there was a small group of people that were rather "malignant" in the way they interacted with others and the moderators would do nothing about it. This became a "not fun" place to be. Gene Cheng seemed to think it was kind of funny and thought no one would really leave. He was wrong. I am only posting now because I on very rare occasion pop in just to see if anything is happening here. I happened to see this thread and thought guy b. deserved a reply. If you care to take the time to wade through it, this old thread pretty much sums up everything that was wrong here and lead to people leaving:

Awesome thread.............. now those were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Awesome thread.............. now those were the days!
    It was already falling apart by then. There's some good reading in old pages of this forum through.

To be honest I find a bit of argument interesting. Even if you don't agree, why not come back and give it another try here now that those who annoyed you have left, seemingly for good?

To be honest I find a bit of argument interesting. Even if you don't agree, why not come back and give it another try here now that those who annoyed you have left, seemingly for good?
    Thanks, but no thanks guy. I agree there is nothing wrong with a bit of argument! I don't expect everyone to agree with me! But the taunting, name-calling, and baiting that went on here was uncalled for and unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. How about you come over here?

http://www.martialtalk.com/forums/wing-chun.63/

There is actually real moderating that takes place! We have our jabs back and forth at each other. We have arguments. But the moderators just flat out won't tolerate the rude and disrespectful behavior that was standard fare here.

Thanks, but no thanks guy. I agree there is nothing wrong with a bit of argument! I don't expect everyone to agree with me! But the taunting, name-calling, and baiting that went on here was uncalled for and unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.
    Imagining if Graham were to pop in and see you still carrying on about this one year later! lol

I'm pretty sure they have long forgotten and moved on. But now you're scared away from posting here for life?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Imagining if Graham were to pop in and see you still carrying on about this one year later! lol

I'm pretty sure they have long forgotten and moved on. But now you're scared away from posting here for life?
    Yep, im sure Graham would laugh his head off

KPM really should have another look at this video............ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Yep, im sure Graham would laugh his head off

KPM really should have another look at this video............ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
    Yep. Obviously the attitude around here hasn't changed. Why would I come back??? I haven't missed this place at all! Really Guy B. If you want polite conversation without the taunting and baiting just displayed, come over to martialtalk where they have actual moderators and stuff like that simply isn't tolerated! ;-)

Morning,

The status of the Forum is the result of the members posting here and the wishes of the majority.
    Kind of like a Democracy is the result of those who opt to vote.
    Those who did not Vote really do not have any reason to complain.

Several years ago this Forum was moderated fairly heavily.
    Posts which attacked others or put members down were deleted and the offenders banned or otherwise dealt with.

However, over the years, members complained that there was too much moderation and wanted a more free hand.
    Since this is a Forum for you guys, those wishes were honored. The result is what we have today.

The several members who were banned some time ago took things to the extreme and were essentially hijacking just about every thread which did not fit their criteria.
    It got to be pretty silly really, as you could not post anything without some of them turning the thread into their agenda.

The sad thing is that you guys allowed this to happen. You cannot blame the moderators or Gene since this is what the majority of people wanted, a lack of moderation.

I miss several of those who used to post here, Zopa, KJ, Rene, and the list goes on.

IMHO, the simple truth is that most who post here have no real interest in exchanging information. The simply want to present their view as though it were gospel and argue with anyone not of the same viewpoint.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

---Sorry Dave, but you have a very different memory and view of things than I do. I am only posting now so that the "other side" is heard. The link to the thread I posted here pretty much backs up what I have to say.

The status of the Forum is the result of the members posting here and the wishes of the majority.

---I "voted", and I "voted" often. I was told to "harden up" and that I was "whining." I pointed out the continued problems and was ignored. Gene Cheng was a part of this. Just read that thread. The problems were pointed out and he didn't take it seriously. He didn't think anyone would leave. I wasn't the only one that left. Why do you think it has been so quite here over the last year?

The several members who were banned some time ago took things to the extreme and were essentially hijacking just about every thread which did not fit their criteria.

---Other people continued to do so. They were rude and disrespectful in most posts. They taunted people and posted insulting memes and videos, just as we see in this very thread. They were not banned. I wasn't the only one that complained. Nothing happened. So people just stopped posting or left completely.

The sad thing is that you guys allowed this to happen. You cannot blame the moderators or Gene since this is what the majority of people wanted, a lack of moderation.

---BS. That is what a moderator is for. There was NO moderation here. When people got way out of hand they might get banned. But there was no one telling people to behave and setting the general expectation that good behavior was going to be the standard. So it wasn't. Simple as that.

I miss several of those who used to post here, Zopa, KJ, Rene, and the list goes on.

---And those people were NOT banned! They CHOSE to no longer come here. And for good reason.

IMHO, the simple truth is that most who post here have no real interest in exchanging information. The simply want to present their view as though it were gospel and argue with anyone not of the same viewpoint.

---You are wrong. There was only a small group of individuals here who had no real interest in exchanging information. They simply wanted to pick at others and cause arguments. They spoiled it for all the rest of us. The moderators would do nothing about it. So many of the rest of us left. Again, simple as that.

My job changed drastically back in the end of 2012 so I dropped out from the forum. Never had the time to dip back in so surprised to see such a change in the forum.

I also dropped out of Wing Chun training so naturally didn't feel motivated to visit - nothing to contribute or take away.
    But I'm going to post a new tread about a seminar/workshop I attended this weekend to show how to have a meetup of kungfu families and not have a bust-up.

Poor guy... It's been over a year and the bad guys are gone. PTSD?

I understand where you are coming from but I would refer back several years ago when moderation was done and done frequently. When I first started moderating I used to be accused of all sorts of things. Several people complained about just about any moderation. I believe, of course this is my perspective and yours may be different, that I tried to be fair. This went on for a while and then the forum members made it clear that they did not want moderation but should be able to handle things themselves. It was a kind of downward spiral from there.

Do the moderators share some of the blame, yeah, I will give you that.
    However the forum is the result of what many people wanted and asked for.

Tell me, if you you contacted me about anything was I responsive and try to address the issue?
    That is what we, or at least I ended up doing. Trying to respond if someone had an issue and reported it.

Moderation is a thankless job as you cannot make everyone happy no matter what you do.
    Heck, I have even been accused of being racist because I did not agree with how some conducted themselves. (If you know me you will understand how far fetched that view is-unless you met my ex then you might understand if I was )

---Sorry Dave, but you have a very different memory and view of things than I do. I am only posting now so that the "other side" is heard. The link to the thread I posted here pretty much backs up what I have to say.

---I "voted", and I "voted" often. I was told to "harden up" and that I was "whining." I pointed out the continued problems and was ignored. Gene Cheng was a part of this. Just read that thread. The problems were pointed out and he didn't take it seriously. He didn't think anyone would leave. I wasn't the only one that left. Why do you think it has been so quite here over the last year?

---Other people continued to do so. They were rude and disrespectful in most posts. They taunted people and posted insulting memes and videos, just as we see in this very thread. They were not banned. I wasn't the only one that complained. Nothing happened. So people just stopped posting or left completely.

---BS. That is what a moderator is for. There was NO moderation here. When people got way out of hand they might get banned. But there was no one telling people to behave and setting the general expectation that good behavior was going to be the standard. So it wasn't. Simple as that.

---And those people were NOT banned! They CHOSE to no longer come here. And for good reason.

---You are wrong. There was only a small group of individuals here who had no real interest in exchanging information. They simply wanted to pick at others and cause arguments. They spoiled it for all the rest of us. The moderators would do nothing about it. So many of the rest of us left. Again, simple as that.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space