Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Good Sword to share

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Yes, in a manner of speaking. I have some vid of me practicing my Wudang Tai Ji Jian form w/ the Hsu Jian and Scabbard, but it's really a work in progress. It's not awful, but on the whole, it needs to be faster, and some of my execution lacks proper Yi (it's easy to tell which techniques I know how to apply and which ones I'm still working on.) That was the POINT of the video though: to help me identify the rough spots from an outside perspective. Now I know what to pull out and drill more. I'm also hoping to film some partner work either tomorrow or this weekend, and will revisit the form in film about a month from now, for comparison; by then I should be using the Qi Jian (I like to use a "Chinatown Special" to break things down with power, refine it with my Hsu Jian, and make it work with the Qi Jian.)
    So I have saw the video above. Looks kind of weird with the scabbard in hand though, but it's your preference. The form was not intended for the war style and it is not suppose to be fast either and so I don't like that scabbard vibe there much. Anyway, the sword looks very good in control and balance of weight, and the way you pull it out is smooth too and so I believe the scabbard is quite easy going. Does the sword create a "ching" sound when you pull it out?

Qi Jian would be good to watch, that sword got style~

I know that exact same form as you did too. Probably would be cool if I do it for a comparison with bigger swords and smaller swords in the future too.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

Is the blade much wider/sturdier on the two-hander? Seems like a two-handed sword begs to slash big, meaty targets... while the one-handed Jian is really about thrusts to the body and slashes to the extremities.
    blade width is the same, and it's still pretty light - 1lb 4 oz; I wouldn't characterize it as "sturdy" per se, but I'm not going to be loppin' off 'eads with it either...

Shop around, the price has come down considerably so don't be fooled by the CASIBERIA pricetag.
    oh yeah, they r sellling the Qi Jian for $719 at casaiberia, versus $495 at hanweikatana (http://www.hanweikatanaswords.com/), which is where I got the 2-handed jian, so yep...and hanweikatana seems to be the cheapest out there at least that I could find; I ordered the jian as a "test case" to c if they were reliable, and I got it at regular ground shipping ~3 days later;

Yes, in a manner of speaking. I have some vid of me practicing my Wudang Tai Ji Jian form w/ the Hsu Jian and Scabbard, but it's really a work in progress.
    ok, since everyone is "sharing", this is me doing 2-handed jian about 6 years ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cjurakpt#p/u/1/8a9Fk-zYCk4

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Would have been so awesome if u stabbed someone in that crowd u were doing that form in.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    So I have saw the video above. Looks kind of weird with the scabbard in hand though, but it's your preference. The form was not intended for the war style and it is not suppose to be fast either and so I don't like that scabbard vibe there much.
    To each their own.

The form was developed by Li Jing-Lin, who was not known for sitting in a circle reciting "Kumbaya."

From the Video Description:

"This is my Wudang TaiJi sword form performed with an Adam Hsu Jian at moderate speed. I've used a functional Lanyard in place of a Tassel, and a Scabbard in place of the free hand's "secret sword" mudra. The Scabbard is used to block, parry or deflect an incoming attack. It is also sometimes used to "receive" the opponent's weapon after being parried by the sword. Most cutting applications in this form involve simultaneously parrying the opponent's weapon with the scabbard while slashing at their wrists or lower legs (and occasionally following up with a chop or thrust to the legs, body or neck); most thrusting applications involve simultaneously parrying and stabbing at the thighs, belly, chest or throat."

Anyone with a Genuine interest in cross-cultural swordplay would do well to learn the meaning of the terms "Mandritto," "Riversi" and "Coup de Jarnac." A good source is "Old Sword Play" by Alfred Hutton (Hey, I just found it online too! No need to buy the book like I did!)

Does the sword create a "ching" sound when you pull it out?
    Yes, but it sounds NOTHING like the Qi Jian: That blade doesn't "ching," it friggin SINGS when you pull it out.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 09-01-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    blade width is the same, and it's still pretty light - 1lb 4 oz; I wouldn't characterize it as "sturdy" per se, but I'm not going to be loppin' off 'eads with it either...
    Roger that.

oh yeah, they r sellling the Qi Jian for $719 at casaiberia, versus $495 at hanweikatana (http://www.hanweikatanaswords.com/), which is where I got the 2-handed jian, so yep...and hanweikatana seems to be the cheapest out there at least that I could find; I ordered the jian as a "test case" to c if they were reliable, and I got it at regular ground shipping ~3 days later;
    I also recommend http://www.kultofathena.com/chinese.asp which has the Qi Jian for $431 CDN + shipping.

ok, since everyone is "sharing", this is me doing 2-handed jian about 6 years ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cjurakpt#p/u/1/8a9Fk-zYCk4
    Haha, love the Hooter's sign in the Background! You're totally into it too, which is nice to see.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

I also recommend http://www.kultofathena.com/chinese.asp which has the Qi Jian for $431 CDN + shipping.
    yeah, i was going to check that as well - I actually priced the 2-handed gim w them all the way thru shipping and when compared to hanweikatana it was a bit more expensive - but they are also in general the lowest priced distributor (nice to c I was on the right track there)
    r u sure it's CDN? well, anyway, even if USD, it's still cheaper than the other one;

Haha, love the Hooter's sign in the Background!
    lol - it was an Atlantic City tourney, no surprise;

You're totally into it too, which is nice to see.
    thx, yes, there is a part that I leave unchoreographed, where I engage in spontaneous movement - clearly, I was a vicitm of demonic possession as a result...

To each their own.

The form was developed by Li Jing-Lin, who was not known for sitting in a circle reciting "Kumbaya."

From the Video Description:

"This is my Wudang TaiJi sword form performed with an Adam Hsu Jian at moderate speed. I've used a functional Lanyard in place of a Tassel, and a Scabbard in place of the free hand's "secret sword" mudra. The Scabbard is used to block, parry or deflect an incoming attack. It is also sometimes used to "receive" the opponent's weapon after being parried by the sword. Most cutting applications in this form involve simultaneously parrying the opponent's weapon with the scabbard while slashing at their wrists or lower legs (and occasionally following up with a chop or thrust to the legs, body or neck); most thrusting applications involve simultaneously parrying and stabbing at the thighs, belly, chest or throat."

Anyone with a Genuine interest in cross-cultural swordplay would do well to learn the meaning of the terms "Mandritto," "Riversi" and "Coup de Jarnac." A good source is "Old Sword Play" by Alfred Hutton (Hey, I just found it online too! No need to buy the book like I did!)

Yes, but it sounds NOTHING like the Qi Jian: That blade doesn't "ching," it friggin SINGS when you pull it out.
    That link to "Old Sword Play" makes me wish that MCMT had social media functions!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Exclusive supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    The swords are designed and produced by Paul Chen, under Hanwei's license as the exclusive supplier of swords to the Shaolin Temple.
    Paul must be talking about some other Shaolin Temple.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Duel at dawn?

real men collect iron mace.

i saw this mongolian mace at a museum, it was 30 pounds, looked badass.

han dynasty calvary sabers are badass too. the blades were 2 meter long and 1 inch thick.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    LOL Yeah, I was sort of scratching my head over that too.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    it's the Norwegian Shaolin Temple - beautiful plumage!!

There is no Norwegian Shaolin Temple....yet

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    it's the Norwegian Shaolin Temple - beautiful plumage!!
    Their kung fu has a number of deceptive techniques designed to fool an attacker into believing the Nordic fighter is actually already dead. Most famous of these is called "pining for the fjords".