Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
In general, styles and theories aside, there are only a few ways one can keep themselves from being hit, listed in what I feel is most desired to least desired.

1. Not be there
__a. Typically involves footwork and/or body movement

2. Redirect the attack:
__a. Typically involves meeting the attack and moving it away from it's target in a subtle manner. This is often times combined with using the attacking force to gain an advantage; ie. the idea of pushing when pulled and pulling when pushed for example. This movement can be done both defensively or offensively.

3. Block the attack:
__a. Requires movement of the arm or leg to sharply collide with the attacking force in an effort to force it off it's path--this can be done with varying levels of force to simply "tap" the attacking force or to "smash" it, ie. the intent of the block can be offensive or defensive in nature.

4. Absorb the attack:
__a. Cover the intended target to absorb the attack. This is literally taking the attack in real time, but absorbing it through a part of the body not originally intended as the target. ie. using the arm to cover the side of the head when punched, raising the shin to literally stop a kick, raising both arms to create a wall or barrier, etc.

These ideas are seen in almost any style that uses a pragmatic approach to fighting, regardless of whether it's internal, external, from inside china, outside china, done in a gi, or in a dobok, or in really really really tight tights. The energies that are present in each method are dependent upon the individual, not the style of fighting, and can vary depending on the individuals intent and conditioning.
You talk as if getting hit is a bad thing, I can't tell you how many peoples fists I have smashed with my face and how many kicks I have crushed with my groin !