Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Trips by Gene Ching

so did you see any of the shaolin on your trips gene?

just ordered the combo pack!

Quote Originally Posted by kristcaldwell View Post
    just ordered the combo pack!
    does that mean it comes with a can of authentic shaolin soda and a set of authentic prayer beads??

I remember one time Su Xi and I tripped acid and did the tiger-crane two man form. We wound up two miles east in the forest, and when I woke up, Su Xi had hamstrung a golden leopard with his bare teeth.

Shaolin trips are a trip, man.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppukku View Post
    I remember one time Su Xi and I tripped acid and did the tiger-crane two man form. We wound up two miles east in the forest, and when I woke up, Su Xi had hamstrung a golden leopard with his bare teeth.

Shaolin trips are a trip, man.
    now THAT is ****ing shaolin!!!

Greetings,

The original cover of Gene's book had a giant mushroom on the cover. Those limited editions were presented to his inner circle of friends, along with a few buttons to lick.

mickey

ps: Good Luck with the book, Gene!! Congratulations.

walrus style

i heard that gene is actually dead and that TC Media replaced him with some guy named William Shears.

Thanks guys

I actually do discuss the psychedelic side of Shaolin at length in my book. There's more on that than in any previous book on Shaolin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

And that makes it an important historical document. And it is truly a Magnum Opus....670 pages! Gene, you wrote the War and Peace of the Shaolin Temple.

All kidding aside, respect and congrats for getting that book together. I look forward to reading it. The modern history of Chinese martial arts is actually an area where little serious work has been done. And so I very much look forward to seeing your book.

take care,
    Brian

Brian's book

Quote Originally Posted by brianlkennedy View Post
    And that makes it an important historical document. And it is truly a Magnum Opus....670 pages! Gene, you wrote the War and Peace of the Shaolin Temple.

All kidding aside, respect and congrats for getting that book together. I look forward to reading it. The modern history of Chinese martial arts is actually an area where little serious work has been done. And so I very much look forward to seeing your book.

take care,
    Brian
    Hello Brian;

Well said... all too true.....

And hopefully, I will have your book in hand; and well and truly started on it - by the time I see Gene in his class.... It's gonna be a busy June ....
    .... Skip

The War and Peace of the Shaolin Temple

Shoot, now I want to re-title my book, Brian.

Honestly, my intention was never to make it so long. My original intention was to compile my past research for my own benefit, so I wouldn't have to leaf through back issues all the time. But that idea got away from me. There's actually a large portion that was in the original concept that I decided not to pursue, as I could already see it was getting longer than I had intended.

Thanks again for your support, everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I actually do discuss the psychedelic side of Shaolin at length in my book.
    ok... you hooked me - i am dying to read this now.
    There's more on that than in any previous book on Shaolin.
    that's because most of us refused to dispense the knowledge thru-out the ages.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Shoot, now I want to re-title my book, Brian.

Honestly, my intention was never to make it so long. My original intention was to compile my past research for my own benefit, so I wouldn't have to leaf through back issues all the time. But that idea got away from me. There's actually a large portion that was in the original concept that I decided not to pursue, as I could already see it was getting longer than I had intended.

Thanks again for your support, everyone!
    I smell a volume two...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Now Gene, I have seen you ban others for doing the same thing. There is only one recourse for your actions; you must now ban yourself.

Congrats on the new book, I will be ordering mine as soon as I finish on this site.

My research on Shaolin is ongoing

I already have enough for another book, but I need to sell the first one first.

Beyond the aforementioned omitted portion (which would have added another 18 chapters to the book) none of the material in the 2010 May/June Shaolin Special (which is in the last 'official' week on the newsstand) made it into Shaolin Trips. In upcoming issue, I make a cursory mention of New Shaolin Temple in my publisher's note, but that's a story in development. I'm working on two more Shaolin pieces now for the next issue, one feature article and one short news piece (which may well explode into an ezine article).

But catch up with me first - buy Shaolin Trips book number one.

P.S. sha0lin1, you can promote here if it supports the forum and as this is a TC Media International publication it definitely helps pay the bills.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips