Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cop in coma from RNC

Cop in coma from RNC

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=6313283

Dozens of uniformed officers gathered at a hospital Friday to lend support to the family of a colleague who was severely brain-damaged when he was choked during a fight in a Southampton bar where he worked as a bouncer.

Andrew Reister, a Riverhead jail officer, remained in critical condition at Stony Brook University Medical Center, surrounded by his wife, Stacey, his parents and his two brothers. Through a hospital spokesman, his wife asked for prayers.

Reister, 40, suffered cardiac arrest and severe brain damage after he was attacked by a bar patron he was trying to control, according to a felony complaint against Anthony Oddone, the Farmingville man police say Reister fought with.

"The situation is very grave, there is no question about that," said Vito Dagnello, president of the Suffolk County Correction Officers Association.

Reister was moonlighting as a bouncer at the Publick House, a brewery and restaurant on Bowden Square, early Thursday when Oddone, 25, climbed on a table, police said. Reister told him to get down and the two argued, and both men began wrestling on the floor.

Oddone got Reister in a choke and held him long after he passed out, police said.

At some point, Oddone fled, and Southampton Village police pulled over the cab he was in about a mile from the bar and arrested him. He is charged with first-degree assault and was being held on $500,000 cash bail. He is to appear in court Tuesday.

Instead of being held in the Riverhead jail where Reister has worked since 1994, Oddone was transferred to Rikers Island in Queens after his arraignment Thursday.

"It's just to avoid even the appearance of any impropriety," said Chief Michael Sharkey of the Suffolk Sheriff's Department. "It was better for everyone to have him in a different facility."

Self-defense experts say choke holds are particularly dangerous because they are easy to apply and quickly cut off blood to the brain. A properly applied choke "usually takes between five and 10 seconds to induce unconsciousness," said Greg Runfola, 31, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor from Huntington. "It doesn't take a lot of strength."

Christopher Dean, Reister's brother-in-law and a fellow correction officer, said Reister works in the jail library and is the head of an association that raises money for the families of correction officers in need.

Reister grew up in Southampton and lives in Calverton with his wife and two young children. An avid golfer, he enjoys taking his family to baseball and hockey games. "He's a good family man," Dean said.

Three other bouncers tried to help Reister, Dean said, and police said Oddone's four male companions also tried to pull him away. Witnesses told police that Reister was unconscious for a minute or more before he was released. "He wouldn't let go," Dean said of Oddone.

There was no answer at Oddone's home Friday, where a neighbor said he lives with his girlfriend and her parents and often practices his golf swing in the yard. "He seemed to be a really nice guy," said Frank Giordano, 19.

Oddone plays on the golf team at St. Joseph's College in Patchogue, athletic director Don Lizak said.

Several messages left for Oddone's attorney, Glenn Obedin, of Central Islip, were not returned.

About 75 percent of the correction officers union's 830 members hold second jobs, Dagnello said. Each officer must get written permission from the correction department, which does not set a limit on hours or the type of job. "It's a quality-of-life issue. Officers are trying to provide for their families," he said.

Citing advice from a union attorney, Dagnello declined to discuss specifics of Reister's employment. The association has set up a fund to benefit his family.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

well he was a cop and a bouncer... what does that equal?? ego. if your line of work revolves around controlling other people, you get what you got coming to you... **** happens, if it didn't it wouldn't. moral of the story, get a different job. everyone wants to cry when the coppers get hurt. boo-hoo. please pass the tissues.

Now, post how many cops, daily,hourly by the minute are choking out, macing, billyclubing, molesting,raping........

Quote Originally Posted by Cimaroon View Post
    Now, post how many cops, daily,hourly by the minute are choking out, macing, billyclubing, molesting,raping........
    yeah really. they get what they got coming.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    well he was a cop and a bouncer... what does that equal?? ego. if your line of work revolves around controlling other people, you get what you got coming to you... **** happens, if it didn't it wouldn't. moral of the story, get a different job. everyone wants to cry when the coppers get hurt. boo-hoo. please pass the tissues.
    Do you risk your life to put food on the table for your kids?
    Sometimes egos develop, but unfortunately in our society a LOT of people need to be controlled because they can't control themselves.

YOU ARE CLUELESS!!!!

He DIED yesterday asshole! AND he left behind children.
    Do you have any kids?
    Maybe when your balls drop you'll understand.
    Mr. T invented fools, then feeling bad about it, invented pity

http://www.cansfordan.com

http://www.fightfordan.com

Quote Originally Posted by ingchao View Post
    Do you risk your life to put food on the table for your kids?
    well depending on the job and the state of the crew... i could say yes to that. then again because i have kids, i wouldn't want a job that jepordizes my safety, especcially if it revolves around wearing a badge and playing law.
    Sometimes egos develop, but unfortunately in our society a LOT of people need to be controlled because they can't control themselves.
    apparently the officer in question couldn't control anyone either.
    YOU ARE CLUELESS!!!!
    don't flatter yourself.
    He DIED yesterday asshole! AND he left behind children.
    just another fact of life buddy.
    Do you have any kids?
    3 to be exact.
    Maybe when your balls drop you'll get it.
    then again, maybe you don't.

well depending on the job and the state of the crew... i could say yes to that. then again because i have kids, i wouldn't want a job that jepordizes my safety, especcially if it revolves around wearing a badge and playing law.
    apparently the officer in question couldn't control anyone either.
    don't flatter yourself.
    just another fact of life buddy.
    3 to be exact.
    then again, maybe you don't.
    Wow, some kids don't have a daddy anymore and you can't relate? Yeah, it is a fact of life that people die, but what if it was YOU?
    You risk your life putting food on the table? How? Dumpster diving don't count.

Yeah I'm all tore up over this.....

Considering the brain damage cops have done over the years putting people in choke holds one has to wonder when some of that would come back to them.

And guess what?......Cops aren't the only people who have kids. If he was so concerned about his kids why is he in that line of work?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Yeah I'm all tore up over this.....

Considering the brain damage cops have done over the years putting people in choke holds one has to wonder when some of that would come back to them.

And guess what?......Cops aren't the only people who have kids. If he was so concerned about his kids why is he in that line of work?
    To protect people like us! And most people don't have kids when they start that type of work.

Wow, some kids don't have a daddy anymore and you can't relate?
    i am sure they'll probably get a step-dad.
    Yeah, it is a fact of life that people die, but what if it was YOU?
    well for starters it would be my time to go, and second i believe in re-incarnation... so... woopy do.
    You risk your life putting food on the table?
    we all risk our lives, everyday.
    How?
    i am a mason... ricketty scaffolding, drunk concrete truck drivers, falling stone... mostly my risks are due to extreme human error, which is why you have to be constantly on your toes.
    Dumpster diving don't count.
    well it sure does if the cops don't like dumpster divers.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    man you hit the nail on the head there.

i am sure they'll probably get a step-dad.
    well for starters it would be my time to go, and second i believe in re-incarnation... so... woopy do.
    we all risk our lives, everyday.
    i am a mason... ricketty scaffolding, drunk concrete truck drivers, falling stone... mostly my risks are due to extreme human error, which is why you have to be constantly on your toes.
    well it sure does if the cops don't like dumpster divers.
    Well, I can see this is like clapping with one hand. So I hope your Martial Arts Skillz
    can defend you when there's no police around.
    Good night, and I hope when you get re-incarnated it's what you deserve.

Well, I can see this is like clapping with one hand. So I hope your Martial Arts Skillz
    can defend you when there's no police around.
    doesn't matter anyway.
    Good night, and I hope when you get re-incarnated it's what you deserve.
    all can't take it no more... bye bye birdie... actually i been choosing to re-incarnate several times now. there still hope for folks like you, so i keep coming back to make it happen.
    Last edited by uki; 08-10-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Cop=officer= OVERSEER. As in overseeing slaves. Funk cops, all of em

I'm going to bed because I can't believe some of the idiocy being spouted.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.