View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 415 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 315365405413414415416417425465515915 ... LastLast
Results 6,211 to 6,225 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    when someone starts a broadsword form with the opposite hand in a sword-finger mudra...sigh
    That is creative expression, the form does not start like that.

John Dufresne???

Is this the writer??

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    That is creative expression, the form does not start like that.
    wow, you guys just never quite with your rationalizations and justifications; the SD org should be paying you all an honorarium as Lord High Apologists

I mean, it's always something, right? no matter what inconsistencies get pointed out, they are always "not how it's really done"; amazing how pretty much every public display of SD is incorrect because of the individual doing it - I guess somewhere there is a hidden temple of SD people doing all the forms perfectly that he outside world will never get to see...
    so, if it's "creative expression", where did it come from? I'll tell you where - they saw someone do a tai chi straight sword set like that, and thought it would look cool to do with a broadsword, having absolutely NO understanding of why you do that with a a straight sword and not a broadsword; you see lots of "creative expression" in TCMA, but it's within a framework based on certain sets of principles;
    so, when he puts the broadsword behind the arm in the ready position after doing the bizzare move across his face from the craddle hold - is that also "creative expression"? is the cr@p that they pass off as a 2-man staff set or their strange version of "tai chi" also just being "creative"? and if he's being creative, why is it being done on a promo vid for a school that is promoting itself as "original" and "authentic"? why be creative if you got the real stuff? answer: 99% of the people seeing it have no clue, so, like all other SD stuff out there, you can have something that looks "kung fuey" that the general public is going to buy, but that actually contains all sorts of errors and inconsistencies that anyone with authentic TCMA experience will pick up; face it - its done like that because that's how it's it's taught, it's basically a cheap rip-off of TCMA, and that's the end of it;
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 07-22-2007 at 08:15 PM.

wow, you guys just never quite with your rationalizations and justifications; the SD org should be paying you all an honorarium as Lord High Apologists

I mean, it's always something, right? no matter what inconsistencies get pointed out, they are always "not how it's really done"; amazing how pretty much every public display of SD is incorrect because of the individual doing it - I guess somewhere there is a hidden temple of SD people doing all the forms perfectly that he outside world will never get to see...

so, if it's "creative expression", where did it come from? you see lots of "creative expression" in TCMA, but certain things don't occur, because they are intrinsic to the thing itself (like doing sword mudra w/broad sword); and when he puts the broadsword behind the arm in the ready position after doing the bizzare move across his face from the craddle hold - is that also "creative expression"? is the cr@p that they pass off as a 2-man staff set or their strange version of "tai chi" also just being "creative"? and if he's being creative, why is it being done on a promo vid for a school that is promoting itself as "original" and "authentic"? why be creative if you got the real stuff? answer: 99% of the people seeing it have no clue, so, like all other SD stuff out there, you can have something that looks "kung fuey" that the general public is going to buy, but that actually contains all sorts of errors and inconsistencies that anyone with authentic TCMA experience will pick up; face it - its done like that because that's how it's it's taught, it's basically a cheap rip-off of TCMA, and that's the end of it;
    Look ,I just said what I believe it to be . He may have learned it like that, but I did not . I learned it from GMS and was right next to him for the whole seminar.

Yes, most of what is there is creative expression and or forms being done poorly.

Most people do not do them for the same reasons . The only people that look pretty doing them are forms champions or masters, these people do not fall into either of these catagories.

Why not give them a break and compliment them on what they have done that looks good or is done right??

This would be the sign of a true master and not an online critic.

Not everything is as it seems.

is that also "creative expression"? is the cr@p that they pass off as a 2-man staff set or their strange version of "tai chi" also just being "creative"? it's basically a cheap rip-off of TCMA, and that's the end of it;
    hi cjurakpt,

i would like to address part of the above quote from you.

here is a clip of me practicing my understanding of yang tai chi chuan.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9nJ3vwcR1EQ

what is "strange" about the way i presented yang tai chi chuan as i have learned it from shaolin do?

how is what i presented a "basically cheap rip off of tcma"?

what is it the end of?

best,

bruce
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Mas

Yes someone would. For once you are right. KC Hey PT some people do change the forms and the intro etc. that does not make the whole system wrong just that person. Some like Bobath some dont but the rehab works . KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

The demo tape looks like a compilation of about 5-6 different forms Green Dragon Broadsword , Taichi BSword , Tai chi and others. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

wow, you guys just never quite with your rationalizations and justifications;
    Wow, you guys just never quit with the attacks.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

Quote Originally Posted by BM2
    It is my opinion that the stone is in honor of the ones who purchased it (Soards). For those of have seen it, what is your opinion?
    I am with you on this one.......
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

so, if it's "creative expression", where did it come from? I'll tell you where - they saw someone do a tai chi straight sword set like that, and thought it would look cool to do with a broadsword, having absolutely NO understanding of why you do that with a a straight sword and not a broadsword;
    I will not apologize. The two finger salute (as aposed to the one finger salute that I usually am know for) is called "immortal points the way" and while generally seen only in jian forms, is present in the opening of the Green Dragon Broadsword form.

While it is used as a balance to the jian in "tai chi sword forms" as you say, it is merely used in this one as an opening move.

so, when he puts the broadsword behind the arm in the ready position after doing the bizzare move across his face from the craddle hold - is that also "creative expression"?
    As KC stated, this is several different parts of different forms spliced together.

See, this is another case of commenting on something inwhich you know absolutely nothing about. How about you learn the forms first, then make an "informed "decision.......
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

John, I don't think anyone has mentioned your name on these forums for quite some time.... not since the go-round I had with Frank regarding the existance (of lack of existance) of that tape.

Having said that, I'm a bit bemused as to the attacking tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I think it should be obvious...
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Not from prior posts etc. I thought he was respectful in his disagreement especially considering the personal nature of the comments back then. Now its just the same old merry-go-round of SD arguments. No one was attacking John or discussing him until he came back on here.

Shoot, as much as we've discussed these topics, we should be on autopilot by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

cjurakpt Guest
    Look ,I just said what I believe it to be . He may have learned it like that, but I did not . I learned it from GMS and was right next to him for the whole seminar.
    ok, so you learned it differently - seems to be a lot of variation going on then (see below)...

Yes, most of what is there is creative expression and or forms being done poorly.
    again, it always seems to be what is publically available that falls under those categories - interesting coincdence...
    seems to be a lot of "creative expression" being encourraged - hey, fine - but is that still "authentic" and "original"? but I can understand why its encouraged, considering there was probably a lot of that at the source...

Most people do not do them for the same reasons . The only people that look pretty doing them are forms champions or masters, these people do not fall into either of these catagories.
    I don't care about "pretty" - that's not my point at all - you can do a form "badly" but the intrinsic elements can still be intact...but if they're not there, it doesn't matter how you do it...

Why not give them a break and compliment them on what they have done that looks good or is done right??
    when i see some, I'll say it

This would be the sign of a true master and not an online critic.
    since I never claimed to be a master of anything, I don't have to worry about living up to some sort of idealized criteria of great equanimity

Not everything is as it seems.
    apparantly disproportionately so in the world of SD; but then again, some people think that JFS won against Osiris...
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 07-23-2007 at 07:50 AM.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    what is "strange" about the way i presented yang tai chi chuan as i have learned it from shaolin do?
    well, compared to classical Yang Family set (which I don't do myself), some of the moves are different or missing (e.g. - you do brush knee only 2x and only with the left foot forward, as opposed to 5x; you don't have "raising up the hands" in between dan bin and bak hok leung chi; you do some extra movements with the left hand and don't have the twisting step going into bun lan choih); I wouldn't call it strange per se, but it certainly is not classical Yang

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    how is what i presented a "basically cheap rip off of tcma"?
    what you presented specifically looks like an alteration of the Yang set, which hey, if someone has done tai chi as their primary art for some years and feel that they have the purview to make some well-informed changes, that's cool; tai chi is certainly not one big happy family with everyone doing the same form, that's for sure; so BTW, who changed around the form to the version you do?