Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: douglas wong

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    could you link me to the clip Faruq im having trouble finding it on youtube thanks.
    Oh, maybe they took it down. I'll have to take a look when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    is this guy a banana? i dont think any chinese sifu in his right mind would use the name white lotus.

of course not. white lotus is a death cult.
    Maybe his kung fu is so leathal it's literally a "death system".

Douglas L. Wong is the brother of Curtis F. Wong

Curtis F. Wong is the CFW enterprises, publisher of our former competitor Inside Kung-Fu. I'll add that I've met both Douglas and his wife Carrie, and they were both very open and friendly to me. There has never been any animosity between us whatsoever.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Did he ever say why his brother went from teacher to teacher rather than say Bai Cee'ing with a single Sifu, Gene? And do you know if he mastered the complete system of any of his teachers?

thats a very good question and what I am curious about also. Which complete systems did Master Doug Wong learn?

I have no idea

I don't know him that well. However, I know plenty of talented martial artists who never took disciple vows and never completed a system.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Actually a lot of sifus prefer not to Bai See at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I don't know him that well. However, I know plenty of talented martial artists who never took disciple vows and never completed a system.
    On the one hand, I'd like to acknowledge what you say is definitely true, and I have never heard a negative word about Douglas Wong or his skills. Its still an enigma why a guy who was able to study with so many reknowned masters kept moving, and would never want to master a complete system before doing so. Maybe he did though, but I don't know so I was just asking.

Maybe he just did not feel that any one of those systems alone was 'the one' for him? Who knows. Everyone is different, and there are a lot of reasons people do things that they do. Bai Si may have some advantages, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee somebody will be a better MAist.

Please forget that I said Bai Cee. I just meant stay with one master-master a whole system. And I acknowledge that he may have mastered some of the systems. And though they seem to have removed his Arizona interview from youtube, comments under his White Lotus system do indicate that his system only has killing techniques which might explain him having named it "White Lotus".

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    comments under his White Lotus system do indicate that his system only has killing techniques
    What does this even mean? Is this speculation or proven fact? How many people were killed or maimed in the development of his system?

I'm not kidding or being a wise guy. It's statements like this on why people think Chinese martial arts are a joke.

Although I was sorry to see it go, Inside Kung Fu was an inferior magazine compared to KF Magazine.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    What does this even mean? Is this speculation or proven fact? How many people were killed or maimed in the development of his system?

I'm not kidding or being a wise guy. It's statements like this on why people think Chinese martial arts are a joke.
    I have to agree.

Even though I have (very briefly) met both Douglas Wong and his wife Carrie at a couple of CMA functions in the past (they know my CLF Sifu), and they seemed to be pretty cool people, saying one's system only includes killing techniques, IF he actually said that, would be very odd, IMO. There is no way to verify which techniques are 'lethal', since a simple push or punch from an untrained man can kill if they hit just right or the person falls a certain way. OTOH, someone could attempt a super-secret 'killing move' and experience an epic failure.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.

I could kill a man with a crowbar. Does that make me a master?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Greetings,

I visited his site more than once before. Where are those comments about "only teaching killing techniques"? This school teaches children. The Chinese community would not have any of that.

http://www.whitelotuskungfu.com/

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 08-11-2012 at 07:20 PM.