Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Bruce The Real Deal....

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Well, my rebuttal reflects the posts of the people I am rebutting. You must realize that trying to discuss actual TCMA topics with these kung fu-clueless MMA knuckleheads, equates with attempting to discuss astro physics with a bunch of chimpanzees.....
    Then DON'T.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Christ, now you are accusing me of beating you with a stick. For the last time, I am not into cruelty to animals, so no need to worry about your safety......
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    The following is my favorite...
    Starting in 1967, Lewis began training privately with Bruce Lee. Lee had Lewis test out his theories of fighting at tournaments. As Lee's "Test Tube" Lewis was unbeatable, spawning the nucleus of kickboxing as we know it today.

If BL's theories were so good why not get one of his average students to test them out rather than a guy who was at the top of the game?

http://www.bruceleedivinewind.com/joelewis.html

http://www.cityonfire.com/unknown/in...ewis/index.htm
    What is ironic to me is that a lot of today's MMA people use Bruce Lee, as an example of their methodology, or even as an icon.

On the other hand, many (sometimes kung fu-tagged) MMA-ists do criticize him, but again, ironically, they have more in common with him than they could ever hope to have, with a genuine TCMA-ist.

Isn't the world a confused place?

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    ive heard lucas draws lewd cartoons in public restrooms!

ive heard hard work does mma!

ive heard Gene Ching makes everyone in the office address him as "GENE THE MERICLESS" and none of his co workers are allowed to look him directly in the eyes!

ive heard sanjuro was a stunt double for the hobbits in the lord of the rings movies!

ive heard dale franks was the shooter behind the grassy knoll!!

ive heard bawang is really tom cruise!
    All true. And I'm a **** good artist.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I happened to find the free online version of Unsettled Matters independently from the links provided--unbeknownst to be at the time--earlier in this thread. I haven't read very much (17 pages to be exact), but I am thoroughly impressed thus far. I think I might print it out and bind it with my super-stapler. I'm not a big fan of reading stuff online because it hurts my eyes. Not to mention, I would rather have a physical book in my hands anyway.

When I first read about the book on here, I looked it up on Amazon. Some idiot is trying to sell a signed copy for almost $300! I'll pass. The free copy suits me just find.

I've got the book on Yip Man too, although I haven't read it. I'll probably read these two back-to-back.

It is around 4 am here in the city of Cali, in Colombia. I have just finished reading the book. I really found it fascinating. Of course, the book raises very serious questions in regards to Bruce Lee's death.

Murder or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    It is around 4 am here in the city of Cali, in Colombia. I have just finished reading the book. I really found it fascinating. Of course, the book raises very serious questions in regards to Bruce Lee's death.

Murder or not?
    conspiracy, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    conspiracy, of course!
    You must admit that the book raises a few serious questions, that is, if the "facts" the author reports are true, in which case it could be classified as a conspiracy, and believe me the world is full of them.

I like Bruce Lee. He's an icon. More of a Hollywood icon than a martial arts icon to me, but an icon. I own a pair of nun-chucks because of my older brother and because of Bruce Lee. I have all his films. Including a lot of the Brucesploitation films with Bruce Li. I think his actions in those movies are cool. Not realistic, but cool to watch.

I read Unsettled Matters a few years ago, and I read through it again when it was posted on this thread. I have a few issues with what Tom Bleecker wrote.

1. cryptorchidism does not cause people to be 'small' in life. Not anything I've ever seen or heard of, or googled.
    a. It can have psychological effects on people, but not everyone. Not everyone who has the issue suffers from short-man's disease. Bleeker is doing some serious speculating here.
    b. Some famous people are 5'7" just like Bruce Lee. Al pacino, Tom Cruise. It hasn't caused them to shake fists at other stars of their day. (Ok, I don't know that for a fact, but come on).

2. Bleeker married Bruce's wife. If Bleeker wants to talk about 'psychological issues', than this one is HUGE on Bleeker's part. How does that effect what he thinks of Bruce? How Bruce treated her? How he 'compares' to Bruce. Now that COULD cause a person to write many things not based in fact, but on emotion.

Bruce wasn't perfect. Non of us are. I don't like the way Bruce is sold sometimes. Father of MMA, Greatest Martial Artist, all that jazz. I think what he WAS is less tangible but still real. He was a icon, an influence to millions. He influenced people so profoundly, I don't know if his generation can or will write his best biography.

de myth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcl81ldNODc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqxnh...eature=related

it is only a movie.

the kittie witnessed the whole thing.

no other people around to prove that this fight happened.

a lot he says and she says.

mythology thus formed.

witness has the final say or de myth.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    de myth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcl81ldNODc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqxnh...eature=related

it is only a movie.

the kittie witnessed the whole thing.

no other people around to prove that this fight happened.

a lot he says and she says.

mythology thus formed.

witness has the final say or de myth.
    What about the dead body?

What book on Yip Man? (link please?)

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    I happened to find the free online version of Unsettled Matters independently from the links provided--unbeknownst to be at the time--earlier in this thread. I haven't read very much (17 pages to be exact), but I am thoroughly impressed thus far. I think I might print it out and bind it with my super-stapler. I'm not a big fan of reading stuff online because it hurts my eyes. Not to mention, I would rather have a physical book in my hands anyway.

When I first read about the book on here, I looked it up on Amazon. Some idiot is trying to sell a signed copy for almost $300! I'll pass. The free copy suits me just find.

I've got the book on Yip Man too, although I haven't read it. I'll probably read these two back-to-back.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Bruce was probably a really good fighter for a non-professional and an innovator. However, a lot of what gets said about him is nothing more than a legend built up to sell JKD school memberships and books.

Obviously, not. It was the dim mak Wong Jack Man did to Bruce's triple warmer meridian point 9 during the fight. I thought everyone knew that....

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post

Murder or not?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    What book on Yip Man? (link please?)
    http://www.amazon.com/Ip-Man-Portrai...0338482&sr=1-1

It's been out for over 9 years now. I've had it for 7 years and still haven't read it. I tend to bounce around from book to book and sometimes forget which ones I have. I don't read constantly, however. I read in spurts. I get tired of TV and read. After a few hours, I eventually feel like I need to dumb myself down with some more TV.

I can't stand to read the viewer comments at the bottom of those pages. It's the usual "Bruce would have killed Chuck in real life" argument. One person is claiming Bruce was one of the most powerful men in history. Thousands of years of martial arts history (be it China, India, Korea, Japan, etc.) and Bruce is the pinnacle? I think not. I usually ask such people how Bruce would have done against other famous masters like Mas Oyama and Wang Ziping. Most of the time, they just side-step the question--probably because they have no idea who these people are--and keep running their mouth about Bruce the God. Honestly, I prefer Bruce Campbell!
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 07-28-2010 at 11:27 AM.