Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Key to Internal is...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I don't waste my time standing meditation. While I do not believe it is a complete watse of time, it is a not an efficient use of time. The fact you quoted Hendrik explains volumes.

I would agree that most people who practice tai chi do not understand internal principles, having said that I have seen no evidence that you do either.
    Having not put your time standing, you would not no what evidence is anyway.

But I can see the evidence. That's where the difference comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Having not put your time standing, you would not no what evidence is anyway.

But I can see the evidence. That's where the difference comes in.
    Aw yes! The magic of standing! Only true standers know the magic of standing! But you must stand correctlly or your standing is not standing and you will not know the magic!

Such is the stuff that dreams are made!

The world needs dreamers who fancy they have secret knowlledge that only the special people who do the magic standing will know.....or not. But they exist just the same! Everyone wants to feel they are special, some people develop useful skills, while others stand and think themselves skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We can only talk about our life experience. We can't talk about something that we don't have personal experience with. My personal experience is that the moment that my body is connected with my opponent's body, the word "internal" no longer has meaning.

If I can glue my body on my opponent's body like an octopus wrap around a fish, how can you use your "internal' power to shake me off?

This is a short clip just for this discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-tAVs7MKyY
    Ha! Great vid. I used to do that very same thing when I was a kid!

We can only talk about our life experience. We can't talk about something that we don't have personal experience with. My personal experience is that the moment that my body is connected with my opponent's body, the word "internal" no longer has meaning.

If I can glue my body on my opponent's body like an octopus wrap around a fish, how can you use your "internal' power to shake me off?

This is a short clip just for this discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-tAVs7MKyY
    What does two guys wrestling have to do with internal.?

Anyway getting close to an internal should not matter, because you are on the outside still, unless you can get inside him. Why does the guy want to shake you off ?., unless that is the game you are playing, and if it was the game, I don't think shaking off is a good use of energy.

Anyway getting close to an internal should not matter, because you are on the outside still, unless you can get inside him. Why does the guy want to shake you off ?., unless that is the game you are playing, and if it was the game, I don't think shaking off is a good use of energy.
    In a fight what is important is winning, not whether one fancies himself internal or external. It is also immaterial how much energy one uses as long as one does not kill himself in the winning!

Funny thing about energy, it is replenishable and there is usually plenty to spare even when one thinks he has no more to expend!

Blog Entries
    If you can't apply your "internal" skill in wrestling, your "internal" skill will be useless. In the real world, it's not where you want to be. It's where your opponent wants you to be.

What's good is "internal" to you if it can't help you in "combat"?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-25-2011 at 03:32 PM.

If you can't apply your "internal" skill in wrestling, your "internal" skill will be useless. In the real world, it's not where you want to be. It's where your opponent wants you to be.

You can use it anyway you want, so is one of the wrestlers supposed to be using internal?, only the participant's will be able know that, video looks like external to me, but, then again with all that movement, I would guess internal was not used.

Who said internal is not used for combat?, that is probably one of the reasons why it was developed, to counter all the external muscle heads, without being a muscle head, or the smaller to defeat the larger.

Plus all the health benefits that go along with internal practice.

What would you rather have, a bank account that looses money, or one that keeps growing as you get older?.

Blog Entries
    You can use it anyway you want, so is one of the wrestlers supposed to be using internal?, only the participant's will be able know that, video looks like external to me, but, then again with all that movement, I would guess internal was not used.
    - from heel to head.
    - from back to front,
    - tuck tail bone,
    - keep head vertical,
    - Sung,
    - yield,
    - follow,
    - stick,
    - borrow counter force from the ground,
    - sink Qi down,
    - Dantien rotation,
    - head lead body,
    - press on toes and raise head,
    - silk reeling,
    The following "internal" principles are used in that clip:

- Sung,
    - sink,
    - yield,
    - sticky,
    - follow,
    - borrow force,
    - borrow your opponent's rooting.

Can any "internal" guy be able to do any different from this?

Blog Entries
    Who said internal is not used for combat?, that is probably one of the reasons why it was developed, to counter all the external muscle heads, without being a muscle head, or the smaller to defeat the larger.

Plus all the health benefits that go along with internal practice.

What would you rather have, a bank account that looses money, or one that keeps growing as you get older?.
    I prefer not to talk about "health" and "self-cultivation" in this thread. If we want to talk about it, I have to say that "external" gives me more "health" benefit than "internal".

I do:

- sit up so I don't have fat belly.
    - push up and weight so my muscle is firm,
    - run 4 miles 3 times a week so my lung and heart function well.
    - stretch so I'm flexibility.
    - 13 Tai Bo so my balance is good.

I truly don't see that "internal" can help me any more than "external". Again, I'm speaking from my personal experience since I learned Taiji when I was 7 years old. That was almost 60 years ago.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-25-2011 at 05:36 PM.

The following "internal" principles are used in that clip:

- Sung,
    - sink,
    - yield,
    - sticky,
    - follow,
    - borrow force,
    - borrow your opponent's rooting.

Can any "internal" guy be able to do any different from this?
    These are all being done at body level, their are higher levels of application.

So, yes your level can be higher.

If you are not familiar with body level, that would be another subject.

Blog Entries
    The following statement was quoted from the Chang style Taiji founder:

"It's high level if you can apply your skill in combat, it's low level otherwise."
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-25-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Here is another thing to try to demonstrate the fantasy of internal:

If internal power is REAL, use it against a 280# Sumo Wrestler or a Pro NFL Lineman. Size should not matter if one is using REAL internal power! I prefer to see your proof demonstrated against the Sumo Wrestler since he has more experience using Bio-Mechanics in a martial atmosphere.

Demos for internal power are always used against the inexperience, and students, but if it can work in real life it can work against an experienced Sumo Wrestler.

Good Luck!
    Taijiquan guy pushing hands with retired Sumo champion. The thing that I think is impressive is that the Taijiquan guy is giving away more weight than he himself weighs! I find this impressive if for no other reason than that.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    An answer would be nice....

Or how does one do a hip throw internally?
    By hip throwing someone who was already going that way, no one could say you did a hip throw at all. Externally, you had the appearance of a hip throw, but internally you were just slagging off, and that's what did the hip throw, "I'd catch you, but no."

I think a lot of throws are just getting out of the way. This is knowing how to get out of the way, reading what the way is, etc. Internal processes as the key to managing the external processes, like judo does, or bjj on the ground, or tkd in selecting a mall location. All the good styles are internal, because they do not see their applications as enforced upon reality, but in response to a reality that you train yourself to see and respond to, the sight and the response learned makes someone able to use the technique, the technique does not do the same.

That said, if the structures adopted lead naturally, and you don't fight this tendency when pressure is applied, but use it naturally, then it's neither your internal motion or your external that defines that exchange, but the opponent's decisions and their efficiency or inefficiency in applying it, if you are drawing them into something, it is them who acts externally.

Either way, what comes to be is not defined by your external structure, your internal processes, or your opponent's, but the combination. If you are part of that, instead of being part of your technique, then even as you do a technique, you are internal to the fight, while the technique is external.

There is no separation between internal and external. Functional fighting kung fu all looks suspiciously "internal", while dancing and empty form all looks "external".

Kung fu that looks fancy in form looks normal in usage.

A 700 lbs. female jockey could kill a featherweight ufc fighter.

I've mentioned this before, but I do an internal form, and I've seen footage of an important individual in our line doing a round kick in his form, and did so as well for a long time.

The closest variant I have seen is muay thai, but the waist work is different in the version as done. This is a description of the external shape, but the internal rationale is sound, there is a dropping initially that fools the eye and leads the opponent to expect something other than a round kick, the dropping forward scoops and rises as the kick is executed. Nothing magical. Magical explanations of normal things are not internal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    how does one do a hip throw internally?
    What bother me the most is "internal" guys refuse to discuss certain combat areas such as "hip throw".

The

- traditional way of doing "hip throw" is to use your hip to strike on your opponent's belly.
    - modern way of doing "hip throw" is to use your arm to lift up your opponent's waist.

You then make his feet to come off the ground, and pull him over your head.

I just don't see "internal" can help to improve this function in either cases. Besides, the IMA guys don't even train "hip strike" and "waist lift" at all.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-25-2011 at 09:20 PM.