Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Dragon's Iron Vest

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Lumberjacks and fishermen don't necessarily lift weights in the conventional sense, are you saying they are not extremely strong?

As far as the ideas presented on this forum as gospel regarding strength, why don't you read this book and enlighten yourself.

Supertraining: Yuri-Verkhoshansky Maybe you are more qualified to speak on that subject than the author:

The most complete and up to date book in Special Strength Training (SST): Methodological foundations of special strength training, Guidelines for planning SST, SST means and methods - resistance and jump exercises, Complex method, Stimulation method, Contrast method, Circuit method, Strength-aerobic method, Organization of SST in training process and Block Training System, SST means methods and program for acyclic sports, SST means methods and program for cyclic sports, SST means methods and program for sports games and combat sports, traditional SST exercises used by high-level track & field athletes, questions and answers about warm-up, 'Ultra Mass' bodybuilding program, the contribution of Yury Verkhoshansky to the development of sport science.
    That's a pretty good book actually.
    I prefer Serious Strength training by Bomba though.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That's a pretty good book actually.
    I prefer Serious Strength training by Bomba though.
    Come on, you misspelled zoomba up there man.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Come on, you misspelled zoomba up there man.
    **** you, LOL !
    You made me look it up to make sure I didn't misspell it, LMAO !!

Serious Strength Training-3rd Edition by Tudor Bompa, Mauro Di Pasquale and Lorenzo Cornacchia (Oct 19, 2012)
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

[insert evil laugh here]
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    when you toughen your stomach, you dont have to lower your hands.

*stroke beard
    I agree with bawang on this. If your body is tougher, than you are shrinking the areas of the body that you need to worry about protecting. Not that you do not have to protect yourself, but that you will not panic or over-react to a gut shot leaving your head open.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 04-16-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Bawang, I have trained for close to 30 hours a week for the last 13 years, had 3 fights in January of this year. I also run 3 miles every other day, skip rope at high speed daily, do a lot of explosive plyometric work, and lift weights a few times a week. Until you prove otherwise, you don't even deserve to shine my shoes, let alone give me advice. Feel free to explain to everyone what you train, how often, and what you have accomplished.
    If it's good training, that doesn't hurt your body, maybe you can train so much.

I stopped because of my knee -- it started hurting when I did baguahang. My teacher at the time did Tui Na on it, and it was good for another year, but it started hurting again. Now I don't train at all. Otherwise I can't walk.

This thread has gotten so convoluted with random topics. The issue is the ability to take a shot. Muscular endurance is irrelevant here. Strength isn't even really relevant, although you'll build it as a side effect (or rather, ST will build "iron vest").

This entire thread can be summed up very simply... F=ma

That's it. No mystery.

"a" is handled by technique. Whether you call it being like water, teh internalz or just rolling with the punch; prolonging the duration of acceleration limits the force incurred if mass is constant (and just so we're clear, mass is a constant in a punch)...shouldn't need to be said, but this forum you never know.

"m" is worked out in preparation for a fight. This is where training comes in. And all there is to it is bulk and structural integrity. Size provides more material to distribute the force, integrity is well...integrity. If you take a shot without deflecting (in other words altering the force through acceleration via technique like above) then F is constant. Having greater mass means less acceleration on YOUR body. Since we are enclosed sacs of shit and organs, external acceleration transfers internally, this is where damage comes from.

This is simple physics. Building density in your musculoskeletal system. That being the case, then methods to increase size (whether it be muscle, bones or both) are going to coincide with iron body. And so, any "rule" about efficiency in lifting for mass is going to apply nearly equally with iron body. Endurance, nope. Chi, nope.

The rest is psychology. Lift weights and hard spar...ta daaa you'll have iron vest. I find it funny how practically everyone can come to this conclusion in the stone warrior thread but when the topic shifts to iron vest everyone gets either mystical, pseudo-science, or just convolutes the topic with a ton of what if's...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    The rest is psychology. Lift weights and hard spar...ta daaa you'll have iron vest. I find it funny how practically everyone can come to this conclusion in the stone warrior thread but when the topic shifts to iron vest everyone gets either mystical, pseudo-science, or just convolutes the topic with a ton of what if's...

Well, SoCo has distilled all martial arts down to psychology. Cool.

For the REST of you...

Regarding my class mate:

He does lift weights...
    He does spar....
    He experiences the kind of bone-jarring impact that comes with regular shuai chiao practice...

...ergo...that equals Iron Vest???

In addition to all of that he trains the "Iron Vest" program, and has hardened up NOTICEABLY since.

So, if that doesn't mean anything to you guys, then you need to go practice psychology on your opponent.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

How does an iron vest program that doesn't involve striking the body develop the ability to take strikes?

If your answer is "qi protects you" I will need a little more explanation.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    How does an iron vest program that doesn't involve striking the body develop the ability to take strikes?

If your answer is "qi protects you" I will need a little more explanation.

I think it's like adding a layer of protection...
    Quote:

I noticed the that with some of my baguazhang forms, my muscles grew in places where it was noticably harder to hurt me with common strikes. No qi involved.

I just wish I could still do that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Well, SoCo has distilled all martial arts down to psychology. Cool.
    ....reading comprehension....

In addition to all of that he trains the "Iron Vest" program, and has hardened up NOTICEABLY since.
    Really? And I suppose you tested this with your super calibrated glove mounted testing equipment then yes? Or you have super sensory in the pressure receptors in your fingers maybe? Or, you're just another person buying into subjectivity.

Lets see. Lifts weights. Does exercises targeting muscles he might not be getting with standard training....

Working muscles, worked your friend's muscles. Do I need to make this more obvious?

....reading comprehension....

Really? And I suppose you tested this with your super calibrated glove mounted testing equipment then yes? Or you have super sensory in the pressure receptors in your fingers maybe? Or, you're just another person buying into subjectivity.

Lets see. Lifts weights. Does exercises targeting muscles he might not be getting with standard training....

Working muscles, worked your friend's muscles. Do I need to make this more obvious?

Nope.

Clear as a bell. No one is going to trick YOU into doing any training...
    Quote:

The rest is psychology. Lift weights and hard spar...ta daaa you'll have iron vest.
    what do u think iron vest training involves?

from the sounds of "72 reps" and "up to 2 hours", it seems like made up bullsh1t that would cripple someone if they trained it faithfully.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-16-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    thats the reason

You dinna read it all....
    Quote: