Thread: Info on Wudang

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    As for Wudang, we've put out a lot of research on the topic. There are three issues that focused on it specifically.

2002 September/October focused on internal power & longevity.

2003 September/October
    was dubbed a Tai Chi Special, and featured the first English interview with Zhong Yuan Long.

2009 March/April was our Wudang Special (wenshu posted a link to that cover story above).

There's more in my book, Shaolin Trips (which makes a fine holiday gift, btw), as I discuss my detour into Wudang.
    Thanks for the articles Gene, I'm actually more interested in Wudang and Taoism now...lots of questions...something for me to seek. Next up Tai Chi lessons..
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

light saber airbender is soooooo random

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Thanks for the articles Gene, I'm actually more interested in Wudang and Taoism now...lots of questions...something for me to seek. Next up Tai Chi lessons..
    There's actually a ton of research to be done in Wudang. We've only just begun to scratch the surface. I was only there once and have pretty much published everything I gleaned from that short visit already in the aforementioned mags (and book - don't forget the book!) There's some Wudang disciples here in America now, and I've been tapping them to provide more. I would love to do another Wudang special, but frankly, that previous one delivered only a mediocre performance on the newsstands and it was a lot of work to put together. I think it was premature. Despite CTHD and the Wu-Tang Clan, Wudang is only marginally understood here in the states. I don't think the tai chi theme park will help much.

And that my friends, is how a thread is put back OT.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Some interesting TV vids

"if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

I've visited WuTang twice.

I love the mountain.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Sokka's master in Wudang

So what did they think of your light saber?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't own one but I'm certain to get the tiger claw hook up as per usual?
    I'll take doubles in the master kit complete with DVD
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

We carry gear for kung fu, mma, tkd, karate, judo, kendo, ninjitsu, etc. etc.

...but nothing for jedis. I'm so ashamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    I don't own one but I'm certain to get the tiger claw hook up as per usual?
    I'll take doubles in the master kit complete with DVD
    Wudang, like any venerated mountain in China, is breathtakingly spectacular. To describe it as a tourist trap is like describing Yosemite as a tourist trap. Sure, there are lots of tourists, but an ancient Chinese mountain is a natural wonder. If you're stuck behind tourists, you just don't know how to get off the beaten path.

Then again, there's the theme park...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    I love the mountain.
    Care to expand on that...?

The mountain is spectacularly beautiful, a true natural wonder. When I trained there I loved spending my downtime hiking in the mountains and swimming in secluded rivers.
    I think it's wrong to describe Wudang Kung Fu as a tourist trap, it's A) very good Kung Fu and B) not especially expensive. Historical greyness aside the forms are really nice, with their own distinct flavour (and certainly nothing like Shaolin), training is hard, and certainly when I was there we did a mix of Qigong, Taiji, external Ji Ben Gong and meditation, along with whatever style we were studying.
    I just found my wife on a CCTV documentary! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMnT...eature=related (she's learning Taiji at 8:30)
    I studied Liang Yi Quan at Wudang, which is one of the really distinctive styles taught there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6T4y0pfyZI
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Care to expand on that...?
    It's beautiful.

Reeks of history.

Incredible energies.

Golden top and Purple heaven are must see.

If you go see if you can find someone to take you to the hidden stone Bagua. I had an amazing conversation with the old Preist who tends the small temple there. Also the hike out to the tea house at crows nest is very rewarding.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

600th anniversary

Would this be called a hexcentennial?
    China's Taoism Shrine to Mark 600th Anniversary
    2012-08-28 23:35:48 Xinhua Web Editor: Fuyu

A series of memorial activities will be held later this year in central China's Hubei Province to mark the 600th anniversary of the construction of the ancient Chinese Taoism building complex at Mount Wudang, the provincial government announced Tuesday.

Cultural and economic events, such as a painting exhibition and a Tai Chi martial arts conference, will be organized in Shiyan from September to October, the provincial government said at a press briefing in Beijing.

Mount Wudang, with a long history associated with Taoism, houses numerous palaces and temples that exemplify the architectural and artistic feats of China's imperial Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties.

The cluster of palaces and temples dedicated to Taoism were built in the scenic valleys and on the slopes of Mount Wudang, which UNESCO included on the World Cultural Heritage List in 1994.

Deputy Governor of Hubei Tian Chengzhong said the commemoration activities will help carry forward Chinese traditional culture, boost local tourism development and promote its opening-up toward the outside world.

According to the event schedule, a festive gala will be held on Sept. 27 to mark the 600th anniversary.

Also on that day, a ceremony will be held to celebrate the completion of the renovation project of Yuxu Palace, the largest one in the building complex.

As a renowned scenic spot, Mount Wudang received more than 3.5 million tourists from home and abroad last year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Would this be called a hexcentennial?
    That would be Sexcentennial!