Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin vs. Muay Thai

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    sounds like payback for the Thai vs Chinese bouts they had in the earlly 80's. They had seasoned Thai fighters going up against neophyte Kung-Fu guys-it was a trainwreck.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    sounds like payback for the Thai vs Chinese bouts they had in the earlly 80's. They had seasoned Thai fighters going up against neophyte Kung-Fu guys-it was a trainwreck.
    that's the thing that's becoming apparent with the mainland chinese crowd, no amount of "payback" will ever be sufficient for them. this is probably exacerbated by the fact that they know they can't dominate legitimately so they have to have rigged fights, which are less "satisfying".

though, to be honest, I hardly consider amateurs volunteering to fight against pros in the same league as fights with phony rules, unscrupulous refs, & biased judges.

by the 80s everyone in asia should've known 3 things about the thai:
    1. they start from a young age coz kids are sold into camps to pay off family gambling debts
    2. if they could fight, they were pro; because up until relatively recently there were no amateurs
    3. you better bring your "A" game

if you're talking about the southeast asia tournament, you can't really blame the thais for whooping on a delegation of amateurs sent by the chinese; they had to fight who was there.

if you're talking about fighting black kings, that was a kyokushin thing. the thais that showed up bowed out because of the lack of weight classes & the fact that they weren't used to multiple fights in one day.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

So last year...

Good ol' Emei. That's my school. But I study Shaolin there...
    Foreign fighters eye Chinese Emei kung fu
    By Zhang Jiawei (chinadaily.com.cn)
    Updated: 2010-04-14 16:28

Several foreign fighters from different countries have offered a challenge to Chinese Emei kung fu, the chinanews.com.cn reported Wednesday, citing a person familiar with the matter from the Emei Martial Arts Association.

The reason they offered the challenge is that Shaolin Temple sidestepped five famous professional Thai Boxers' challenges to Chinese kung fu in 2009, while Wang Jian, director of the Emei Martial Arts Association, stepped in to pick up the gauntlet and attracted boxers' attention worldwide, the person said.

Wang said Chinese kung fu has to have interaction with and learn from the world if it wants further development, and he and his followers are willing to meet with foreign fighters.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Funky link

This came up yesterday as a broken link. Now there's 7 pages, presumably for 7 pics, but only the first one works.

World Muay Thai King visits Shaolin Temple
    15:21, May 19, 2010

May 18, the active Muay Thai King Lan Sangkun (second from the left), Yasangkelai (first from the right) and coach appeared in China Songshan Shaolin Temple in Henan. Accompanied by the China secretary-general Zou Guojun of the WBC MUA THAI, they visited Master Shi Yongxin, the Songshan Shaolin Temple's abbot and presented to the Shaolin Temple WBC betts.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

bump

any news?

Do military units train in kick boxing, BJJ or MMA specifically ?
    Yes, some do as part of their combatives training while others have them as part of their hybrid H2H systems.
    Rangers did BJJ, not sure if they still do.
    Army combatives is basically MMA.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Army combatives is basically MMA.
    I wouldn't go that far.

They do a little striking and clinch work. It's mostly grappling until you get to Level 3, which most soldiers never do.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

The military is a totally different context.

If you have a gun, that changes everything. Even a knife changes everything.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.

They do a little striking and clinch work. It's mostly grappling until you get to Level 3, which most soldiers never do.
    By MMA I mean Mixed martial arts not MMA the trademark of the UFC.

The training of close quarters combat (CQC) in the military is not something you can answer with a blanket statement.

In the US, CQC wasn't really taken seriously as applicable fighting skills, ie they still basicly believe the gun, tank, artillery and bomb is what war is about. CQC stuff (pugel stick, boxing, BJJ now, etc) was more for MENTAL TOUGHNESS.

In the former Soviet Union and perhaps Russia today, CQC was seen very much as a real, functional skill

The Chinese seem to follow the Russian model

The British at some point also took CQC very seriously, I don't know if that is still true
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    In the US, CQC wasn't really taken seriously as applicable fighting skills, ie they still basicly believe the gun, tank, artillery and bomb is what war is about. CQC stuff (pugel stick, boxing, BJJ now, etc) was more for MENTAL TOUGHNESS.
    The ARMY philosophy is to survive a hand-to-hand engagement long enough for your battle buddy to shoot the guy in the head. They carry way too much equipment to try to street-fight someone. Hence, the focus on grappling and clinching.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    The training of close quarters combat (CQC) in the military is not something you can answer with a blanket statement.

In the former Soviet Union and perhaps Russia today, CQC was seen very much as a real, functional skill

The Chinese seem to follow the Russian model

The British at some point also took CQC very seriously, I don't know if that is still true
    Our is a combo of boxing, judo, sambo and karate.
    We have competitions for all 4 in the Canadian army.

Shaolin Monk KO Thai Boxing Champion Lamsongkram Chuwatana ???

Short interesting fight. The caption claims that the Chinese figher was an Ex-Shaolin disciple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjm5-...eature=related

Last edited by Hardwork108; 08-30-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Can't find anything about training at Shaolin in his bio:

http://baike.baidu.com/view/1916700.htm

Just says he started with forms and then later moved on to Sanda. I found some other links say he trained at 河南少林塔沟武术学院 "Shaolin Tagou Wushu Academy". Basically he's on a regular Sanda team. Schools like that are divided into forms and Sanda departments.
    Last edited by omarthefish; 08-30-2011 at 04:18 AM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Didn't see anything else besides some muay thai. Digging deep to find that clip of tcma in action.