Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Teaching in a Park

Blog Entries
    Nah, not mad. i just think its no ones business if a students wants to do something for his or her sifu. no students HAVE TO do anything. even when they pay they don't HAVE TO show up. but they do.

the idea of doing something for your teacher upsets or disturbs some people is silly as fuk.

one of my students knows i LOVE ME SOME PASKRAMI SAMMICHES.....and regularly asks if i would like one from the place he goes to. sheeeeeet.....i gets hooked up!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Its the reason why we are all such classy, outstanding individuals.
    * stops banging hooker in ass *

That's right my brother !

*goes back to banging hooker*
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    East-Asian culture in general has different etiquette regarding gifts than the States.
    Yes on the etiquette. Not that I expect or require it.

One kid asked to join the class. He brought a gift of oranges and noodles - symbolizing wishes of wealth and long life.

His parents saw traditional kung fu being taught semi privately at the park. They wanted him to learn, and they taught him how to introduce himself and pay his respects.

I can get my own oranges and noodles, but that etiquette let me know about his character and what kind of family he came from, and helped to let me know if I should take him as a student.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Anyone teaching in a park, home, garage or similar for donations only?

I'm wondering how it works out for you? I've taken Tai Chi in a parking garage for donation. With the economy the way it is how do you avoid having a class full of non-donating students?

Obviously I'm considering doing this (to make a few dollars). I've had neighbor's in the past wanting me to teach their kids. The best I could do now would be very informal class but asking for a donation for my time.

Thoughts?
    In my opinion if you're meeting at a park, home, garage 3 times per week for about an hour/hour and a half charge about $50 per month. Don't do donations because if people can get something for free they will and they won't have a tendency to be loyal; not everyone just most.

Some comments have been made about if you're teaching in a situation like this you don't have overhead and should charge next to nothing. This is false. Gas is an overhead expense, vehicle maintenance and upkeep is an overhead, if you supply the training equipment such as hitting/kicking pads, training weapons, grappling mats. Do you still pay for training with an instructor? Overhead expense. And if no to any of this your time is an overhead expense. It's an irreplaceable commodity and should be valued. If you're not doing it for charitable purposes cheap to free training/education probably says something about your services.

If you're an instructor looking to teach but start up capital is limited a garage is a great place to start, many members on here have turned their garages/dens into great training facilities. Spend your money on equipment and marketing. When you've saved up enough and outgrown the garage you can look to sublet space. (If you'd like details on how to sublease contact me through email)

Blog Entries
    In my opinion if you're meeting at a park, home, garage 3 times per week for about an hour/hour and a half charge about $50 per month. Don't do donations because if people can get something for free they will and they won't have a tendency to be loyal; not everyone just most.
    NOW this is something my sifu would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    Gas is an overhead expense, vehicle maintenance and upkeep is an overhead, if you supply the training equipment such as hitting/kicking pads, training weapons, grappling mats. Do you still pay for training with an instructor?
    Gas and vehicle maintenance? Are you kidding me? If you drive an SUV, do you get to charge more than if you ride a scooter?

And LOL at making other people subsidize your tuition with your own instructor. If you open up classes to the public, it's not the public's responsibility to maintain your lifestyle choices.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I think a teacher's time and knowledge have value.

I wouldn't expect someone else to give me the benefit of their own hard work in acquiring that knowledge for nothing.

What is fair? It's what the market will bear: what the student feels it is worth it for him to pay and what the teacher is willing to accept for his time.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Gas and vehicle maintenance? Are you kidding me? If you drive an SUV, do you get to charge more than if you ride a scooter?

And LOL at making other people subsidize your tuition with your own instructor. If you open up classes to the public, it's not the public's responsibility to maintain your lifestyle choices.
    My vehicle is a company vehicle, it's only used for the purposes of my business. Therefore it makes it an overhead expense. At my level lessons with my instructors cost triple what it costs a beginning hobbyist/novice. My students can expect that my knowledge will continue to grow and stay on the "cutting edge" as far as martial arts and fitness. They can rely on me to provide a clean, safe environment with any equipment required to help make them successful in achieving their goals.

Maybe you don't share the same viewpoints and that's fine. I am a career martial artist and a business owner. I practice my business with honor, morals and integrity. I set my business up to provide myself and family with a comfortable life and to provide them with opportunities to be happy and successful. I make wise choices to ensure my business doors stay open for the next 30 years.

A karate dojo I'm acquainted with has an interesting way to handle tuition.

Beginners pay a higher rate than the more advanced students and must pay 3 full months in advance. Even if someone drops out after 1 class, they've paid up.

As you advance in rank, the rate gets reduced.

The idea is that the beginners who frequently drop out subsidizes the ones who stick around.

Attention class! I just bought a new F-150, so your tuition is going up $10!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    Attention class! I just bought a new F-150, so your tuition is going up $10!
    Ya know, my student brought me an AWESOME paskrammi sammich last night. And i didn't know he was going to do that. he did that on his own free will, knowing my love fer da paskrammi.

There is one ......only one thing that's missing with you bro. its clear too. Boy that paskrammi was off the hook brah..

Nobody thinks it's strange if music teachers teach out of their homes. The price they charge is based on their skill and ability to teach. If they produce concert-level musicians, or even soloists, as my aunt and uncle did then they can charge as much as they want and buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood, nice car and the works.

They can turn away students they think aren't talented enough (politely) and pretty much do anything else the way they see fit.

No difference with martial arts, in my opinion. There are lots of different ways to do it. There's just no point in saying "my way is the only right way, all other ways are wrong".

Blog Entries
    The real problem here I BELIEVE is people are charging based on what they feel they're worth. Look at it this way, a restaurant could charge $10 for a really good Bacon Cheeseburger at one place. And another place you may find that same burger for 15 dollars. Same burger, same goodness, different prices. each one priced based on what people think its worth.

if you don't want to pay $15 dollars for a burger, the one thing you're gonna do is find a cheaper place. Still, there are some who have no problem with paying that $15.

it's all about choice.

My students pay me with Coors Light and Thai Hookers, so far it has been a pretty good deal!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Blog Entries
    My students pay me with Coors Light and Thai Hookers, so far it has been a pretty good deal!!
    hahahaha. ****, i gotta speak to my students about this.