Thread: Learning Mandarin

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    The banter between the hosts, which takes up half of the podcast, would be fine if it was in Mandarin and not English. It's not called English Pod.
    At the intermediate level the Chinese host speaks Chinese most of the time. At the advanced-intermediate level both hosts speak Chinese.

We all already knew that you are too easily stimulated.
    And we already know that you don't know much about Pimsleur or Chinese Pod. That's twice you've made very basic errors in describing them. Rather than providing constructive criticism or evaluation, you're just dissing resources that you don't actually know anything about. And even better, you're doing so in the same breath as you insult others.
    Last edited by rett; 01-21-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Based on this overarching generalization and your previous statement above, I really have to doubt your exposure to ChinesePod.

Why not offer constructive comparisons, or more information on your link to FleuntU, rather than unsupported criticisms of the resources others post?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fluentU#

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    At the intermediate level the Chinese host speaks Chinese most of the time. At the advanced-intermediate level both hosts speak Chinese.

And we already know that you don't know much about Pimsleur or Chinese Pod. That's twice you've made very basic errors in describing them. Rather than providing constructive criticism or evaluation, you're just dissing resources that you don't actually know anything about. And even better, you're doing so in the same breath as you insult others.
    I readily concede ignorance of pimsleur. On the other hand, I realize it is much easier to just dismiss my criticisms of ChinesePod as unfamiliarity and attack me for not meeting your arbitrary definition of constructive rather than address them and admit that a product you are loyal to has shortcomings.

http://chinesepod.com/course/daily-l...t-pot-chitchat

That is not immersive; constant context switching, especially in the middle of a poorly acted dialogue is the last thing you should expose yourself to if you want to develop listening comprehension in Mandarin.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fluentU#

I readily concede ignorance of pimsleur. On the other hand, I realize it is much easier to just dismiss my criticisms of ChinesePod as unfamiliarity and attack me for not meeting your arbitrary definition of constructive rather than address them and admit that a product you are loyal to has shortcomings.

http://chinesepod.com/course/daily-l...t-pot-chitchat

That is not immersive; constant context switching, especially in the middle of a poorly acted dialogue is the last thing you should expose yourself to if you want to develop listening comprehension in Mandarin.
    Hi Wenshu,

It's clear you are a disgrunted customer, perhaps you could ask them for a refund if you are so unhappy. I really value ChinesePod personally, and know countless others who have - including many who spent a lot of their life living in China.

It sounds you are upset about it because the ChinesePod was not immersive enough for you - can you explain how your posted FluentU is more immersive? I tried the first lesson, but it was about Tennis and Sports as if from a TV Commercial or something similar. While I only have exposure to one lesson, and couldn't generalize with any accuracy about FluentU (and to do so wouldn't benefit anyone here), I would say that features it offered, including the ability to put your curser over a character and see the Chinese definition and contexts while it automatically paused the video, was very useful. For constructive comparison sake, I didn't feel it was any more immersive than ChinesePod's format of having native Chinese present lessons and discuss topics with others who have lived in China for many years.

I'd define constructive crticism and comparison as saying "While I believe Chinese Pod lacks the immersive experience of living in China, FluentU brings a more immersive experience because X Y Z facts." OR "I don't like the cultural context ("Chit Chatting") provided in many Chinese Lessons, and I believe FluentU provides faster spoken language abilities because of their superior ability to X Y Z"

For Example - the last statements of my paragraph about about FluentU and ChinesePod. Since you have more exprience with FluentU, and less with ChinesePod - perhaps you could offer more to say on Fluent U in such a manner.

Is Fluent U Highly portable and as good of a resource on-the-go? What about with an iPod touch with no internet? Or with a cd-player in the Car? Would it's features be usable in these situations?

Does it have any fully typed written scripts of each lesson it offers to assist in written practice?

Where is it's strongest suit?

I don't even know where to start with all your assumptions and clear lack of critical thinking.

Since you have more exprience with FluentU, and less with ChinesePod - perhaps you could offer more to say on Fluent U in such a manner.
    What the hell are you talking about?

I used Chinese Pod for over a year, downloaded > 50 lessons which I still have. Nevermind the fact that I never offered a comparision between the two in the first place, FleuntU hasn't even been in existence for that long.

I'd define constructive crticism and comparison as saying "While I believe Chinese Pod lacks the immersive experience of living in China, FluentU brings a more immersive experience because X Y Z facts." OR "I don't like the cultural context ("Chit Chatting") provided in many Chinese Lessons, and I believe FluentU provides faster spoken language abilities because of their superior ability to X Y Z"
    Again, minus the comparison to FleuntU which was never the point, I offered valid criticisms based on personal experience, I just didn't use your remedial 6th grade English composition boilerplate and viewpoint.

I used Chinese Pod for over a year, downloaded > 50 lessons which I still have. Nevermind the fact that I never offered a comparision between the two in the first place, FleuntU hasn't even been in existence for that long.
    Thanks wenshu. I was asking if you would proide such a comparison - as a favor to those reading this thread and those seeking to learn mandarin more effectively.

While I've downloaded and regularly use quite a bit more than 50 CP lessons, I'm always seeking better Chinese Learning resources. Isn't the point of this thread - and if it is, then why not provide such a comparison based on youur experience? It would really help myself and likely others too.

I offered valid criticisms [of ChinesePod] based on personal experience
    I disagreed that you offered valid criticism on CP.

Your statement that 'half of [each] podcast is in English' is false. On the lower levels, which are catered to those who are do not speak mandarin, or not fluently, this is partially true (lower level = less Chinese spoken).

Your other criticisms are all opinions (re: CP lessons are 'not immersive,' 'poorly acted out,' '**** poor at teaching "day to day communication"') that lacked much backing at all.

I realize you dislike CP. I know too many people who find it immensely valuable and even love it to take your unfounded opinions as "valid criticisms."

I say that to bring my point - Would you provide more info on a resource you linked us to - FluentU? I'm interested in your perspective on how it compares too other resources (not necessarily CP), and what you think it's best uses/strongest suit is?

Your personal insults aside, I would still like to know more about valuable Mandarin learning resources and believe anyone posting on this thread is likely in the same boat. Can you contribute to that?

Wenshu, I see you only had a basic subscription. The CP resources I was describing are based on having a premium subscription. The premium materials associated with each lesson are very useful.

I disagree with you about the intermediate lessons not being immersive. I find them very immersive. There are hundreds to choose from, so I just ignore the ones on topics I'm not interested in.

The fact that you dissed Pimsleur without even knowing what it is tells me all I need to know about your credibility on this topic.
    Last edited by rett; 02-02-2013 at 06:17 AM.

I see you only had a basic subscription. The CP resources I was describing are based on having a premium subscription. The premium materials associated with each lesson are very useful. The fact that you dissed Pimsleur without even knowing what it is tells me all I need to know about your credibility on this topic.
    So first I didn't know anything about Chinese Pod, now it's I didn't know enough.

The fact that you avoid addressing your own erroneous assumption rather than admit a mistake tells me all I need to know about you.

I disagree with you about the intermediate lessons not being immersive. I find them very immersive. There are hundreds to choose from, so I just ignore the ones on topics I'm not interested in.
    I never said anything about the extra resources, my complaint with Chinese Pod rests with the simple fact that at the beginniner and intermediate level there should be no English spoken at all.

I was very clear about that from the beginning and in contrast to you I don't need to placate my own ego by retroactively altering the context of my argument because I am paralyzed by the prospect of having to admit that I made a mistaken assumption.