View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1328 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 32882812281278131813261327132813291330 ... LastLast
Results 19,906 to 19,920 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Hello, Thank You, and Questions

Long time lurker. First time poster. Retired Shaolin Do black belt here.

Thank you to all the posters who have participated constructively over the years. I learned a lot.

Activity has died down. But perhaps someone knows the answers to these questions.

A few years ago, I read and heard that the Mullins branch was going to split entirely from GMT. I believe the Asheville North Carolina school openly did so on their website. But I haven't seen anything else. In fact, every time I bother to look at the Mullins website and facebook pages, it still lists GMT. Does anyone know what happened or the current relationship?

Second, I also heard from an active black belt that EM Mullins was going to restructure the curriculum with big changes. His website still shows the old curriculum. Did that happen?

Yes Master Mullins left also I know Master Reid restructured his curriculum to reflect some of the other systems and teachers he has studied with.

Gene, thanks for posting the article on Sin The'.

Had not seen it or heard about it. Reading the article, I was amazed that his story has not changed since I met him in 1970 and started training under him and Leonard, even after the lawsuits. Say what you will about his roots and disclosures, there were some nice aspects to what he put out, health wise.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Frank

Wow... quite!!! Hope all are training hard in the art of their choosing, and enjoying family and friends for the holidays
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Best wishes to all a this time of year, regardless of your position.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Congratulations to all you Shaolin-Do-ers on this forum.
    He missed the part about making up all the forms. Lame.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

How do you train when its 8°?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Do your remember Hiang's class where we got to sit in the snow and ice and do breathing techniques? Or GMT class at Shively in the snow and ice?
    Last edited by OldandUsed; 01-18-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Mispelling

I started in the art in 1985, but never trained in class directly with either of them. I have many "fun" stories from my teacher who did train directly with them for many years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    I started in the art in 1985, but never trained in class directly with either of them. I have many "fun" stories from my teacher who did train directly with them for many years.
    I love hearing stories about the training and such from the '60's and '70's

2 pages in a year?

Man, this thread died out. Good thing, too. I'm guessing that most people found their answers to the first post.

Been lifting a lot and working core (6 days a week)---almost have all of the I Chin Ching postures down easy. Amazing how the "superhuman" postures---free-standing full plank, etc. are really easy once you drop body fat % to single digits and focus on pullups, dips, weight-vest squats/lunges, deadlifts, military presses, and pushups (slow, 10 rep max kind of pushups). Two last ones to go--freestanding handstand pushups and single-arm plank. Hopefully mastered by mid-summer. Getting there. Working out--lifting, non-"kung fu" related exercise, as opposed to forms reps, made the greatest revolution in my practice. I found that Western methods--paleo diet and lifting-- really bring power to the practice. Feeling young and powerful still. Hoping to turn I Chin Ching into a free flowing exercise regimen--Frank Medrano style. No more---heres one posture, there's another one....and here's a modified one you can't do without proper physical training outside of the postures....LOL

I'm kinda glad I quit in a way, but miss Master REid's training. I stopped learning more forms and focused on the ones I learned badly. Greater core and stabilizer strength led to better form. I now run through mantis forms / cranes/ brown belt forms at sprints to maximize cardio on cardio days. Reflection led to better understanding. Research fixed the fudged details. I know Master REid was on the same track, and wish him the best. Maybe we'll cross paths again when my sons need a "proper" teacher.

Hope all are training well. Maybe I'll add some good videos of SD training in a while to youtube for justification this summer. LOL.

Made-up stuff and all (and maybe some freestanding handstand pushups flowing down to some one-armed planks.)

Im back

Hi there, it's been a while (say a couple of years) Scince my last post.
    The reason i became active is to Let you guys know i've quit with how chuen in Holland. How Chuen shares some similarities with Shaolin Do.
    I have been training for 14 years and lately came to the conclusion that it was a mixture of kempo,silat and some kungfu.
    A year ago I started practicing in hung kuen and I saw the Light. My backpain is over, i've become stronger and my stances have greately improved.
    Allthough I do not hold a grudge and believe that my former teacher did not see the harm in it. Be warned, wrong training of incomplete systems can harm your body.
    Some of you tried to tell me but I did not listen. My apalogies.
    Last edited by WhiteEarp; 02-05-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    How about Wookiestyle?
    With this style you can pull people's arms out of their sockets if you loose.
    That would remind them to change there strategy, and let you win.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEarp View Post
    Hi there, it's been a while (say a couple of years) Scince my last post.
    The reason i became active is to Let you guys know i've quit with how chuen in Holland. How Chuen shares some similarities with Shaolin Do.
    I have been training for 14 years and lately came to the conclusion that it was a mixture of kempo,silat and some kungfu.
    A year ago I started practicing in hung kuen and I saw the Light. My backpain is over, i've become stronger and my stances have greately improved.
    Allthough I do not hold a grudge and believe that my former teacher did not see the harm in it. Be warned, wrong training of incomplete systems can harm your body.
    Some of you tried to tell me but I did not listen. My apalogies.
    Did your teacher ever talk about Ie Chang Ming or the The' brothers?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Did your teacher ever talk about Ie Chang Ming or the The' brothers?
    He talked about it, but was never realy clear on lineage.
    That was until I came across some similarities on this forum and his stories. I shared my Findings and they adopted the stories.
    The stories are Probably true to a degree, but scince i started training in hung kuen I started to notice the huge differences in southern chinese kung fu and the art we were Thaught. And the similarities between kempo and the heavy influences from silat or kuntao as they sometimes call indo / chinese styles.(I did not know that but what they seem to call it in indonesia)
    So to call it a secret kungfu style and surround it with mysticism is just wrong. It's almost like a religion for some.
    So many techniques and forms that, as I later found out simply cannot work. I think 2/10th might be usable.
    How about Wookiestyle?
    With this style you can pull people's arms out of their sockets if you loose.
    That would remind them to change there strategy, and let you win.

the only value in kung fu or any traditional martial arts is the historical value. if it is not historically authentic then it is worthless.

for price of one week class you can buy at kfc one medium gravy, 5 piece box/chicken pot pie which is a great deal

it is literally more authentic to learn shaolin forms from youtube than to learn from sin the because the forms actually come from shaolin temple.
    Last edited by bawang; 02-07-2016 at 12:49 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC