Thread: bruce lee gung fu forms

bruce lee gung fu forms

i dont know exactly what is this form,if any one know please tell me

can any one tell me what is this form??

Blog Entries

This one looks like 功力拳(Gong Li Quan).

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

This one looks like 功力拳(Gong Li Quan).
    Actually, to me that looks like the "Gop Shu" (trapping forearms) hand motion found in Southern Mantis

thank you very much my friend about helping
    but can i found this form exactly in youtube?

Also notice on the "gop shu" hand position the first knuckle is pushed out, in the form of the "peac ock eye" fist from southern mantis.

I have a feeling the form is "Sarm bo Jin" which means three step arrow

This is a core form for both Chow Gar and Jook Lum Southern Mantis.

Also realize that the order of the letters printed on the picture were put there by the editors of the magazine these pictures were published in. The order (A, B, C) could be incorrect. So keep that in mind when you search on youtube, ecc.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCrusader View Post
    Also notice on the "gop shu" hand position the first knuckle is pushed out, in the form of the "peac ock eye" fist from southern mantis.

I have a feeling the form is "Sarm bo Jin" which means three step arrow

This is a core form for both Chow Gar and Jook Lum Southern Mantis.

Also realize that the order of the letters printed on the picture were put there by the editors of the magazine these pictures were published in. The order (A, B, C) could be incorrect. So keep that in mind when you search on youtube, ecc.

In Chow Gar SPM we know it as the "fung nan" or phoenix eye. Not pea****.
    The pic doesn't resemble SBJ as I know it as his arms are too close to his chest for the dow sau position and we use the "ginger fist" not the phoenix eye. The other pictures in the sequence do not resemble the SBJ as I know it. It might be Jook Lum or Chu Ga.

Also the picture A position looks very similar to a part of one of the UK Lau Gar forms called "charp choi".
    Last edited by charp choi; 02-27-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: sp
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Ah, very interesting!

I do know BL practiced Jook Lum Mantis while in NYC for a month. Gin Foon Mark has specifically stated that he taught him the Sarm Bo Jin form, among many other things.

Also, Fook Yueng taught BL many things, including Southern Mantis. I have never been able to find out which family, though. I have heard it mentioned Fook Yueng's Red Boat/Junk Wing Chun is influenced by Chow Gar Mantis, so its possible the stuff he taught BL was from Chow Gar. As far as I know, the details of their training have never been published.

Blog Entries
    Someone told me the last form that Bruce Lee learned before he came to US was 功力拳(Gong Li Quan).

It is true, he did learn Gong Li Quan from Siu Hon Sang. But this was quite some time before he left for America. Shiu Hon Sang has said in interviews he was going to teach him more after Gong Li Quan but could not because Shiu was in a Wong Fei Hung movie (which would have been 1958)
    After the movie was over, Shiu and Lee resumed their training about 2 months before Lee left for America. Within those 2 months Shiu taught him many things, mostly out of the Chin Woo Association form list.

I guess there is somewhere to find more information and I already posted a similar question but nobody was able to answer. The problem is I can not find in youtube or internet a whole explanation of the name of the forms he performed and where he learned some of them. Here is an article that maybe someone can read better than me and HTH

Quote Originally Posted by TopCrusader View Post
    Also notice on the "gop shu" hand position the first knuckle is pushed out, in the form of the "peac0ck eye" fist from southern mantis.
    huh... ive never heard it called that before...

He may have learned some Juk Lum Tong Long from Gin Foon Mark but not enough to do the forms correctly.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I don't think it is any particular form, but various movements from a variaty of systems. The first pose is probably as stated, some form of SPM. The others do not appear to be SPM, but other styles.
    Just because some magazine editor numbered the pictures doesn't mean he had a clue. Remember, BL loved to strike poses.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

originally posted by TopCrusader
    It is true, he did learn Gong Li Quan from Siu Hon Sang. But this was quite some time before he left for America. Shiu Hon Sang has said in interviews he was going to teach him more after Gong Li Quan but could not because Shiu was in a Wong Fei Hung movie (which would have been 1958) After the movie was over, Shiu and Lee resumed their training about 2 months before Lee left for America. Within those 2 months Shiu taught him many things, mostly out of the Chin Woo Association form list.
    I believe this to be slightly inaccurate. Shui Hon Sang was an older classmate of Grandmaster Ma Gim Fung. The whole reason Bruce went to Shui was because he was impressed with Wong Jack Man's abilities after his match with him in 1964 and he wanted to learn some of Wong's style (Bak Siu Lum and Bak Siu Lum Lo Han). Of course, this was the match that caused him to renounce Wing Chun which, despite what many would have you believe, indicates that Bruce didn't win that fight. After this match and before he began work on The Green Hornet, Bruce went back to Hong Kong a couple of times in 1965. At some point he wrote Wong Jack Man's teacher, Ma Gim Fung, and requested lessons. Ma was an especially gifted master and had taught Wong Sifu his BSL Lo Han that had been passed down from Sun Yu Fung. Ma turned him away, but Bruce managed to convince Shui Hon Sang to teach him. Shui was an older classmate of Ma's and during Bruce's time in Hong Kong in 1965 Shui taught him Gung Li Chuan and Jie Chuan.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 04-17-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)