Thread: Application used in sparring

Hybrid View

Shaolin trains forms in the large frame. Like all Kung Fu systems that do this, these are exaggerated mechanics that aren't necessarily going to look the same in live sparring/fighting.

The stance with the raised heel from northern styles is more similar to how you would apply a cross from a boxing or Muay Thai perspective. Of course it also wider and exaggerated as Kung Fu systems tend to train to the extreme to reinforce mechanics and for aesthetic purposes.

The feet remain flat on the ground in the orthodox bow stance because of emphasis on rooting. (I believe one can effectively root while lifting one heel, however.) In application there is always going to be some trade off between power and mobility. I's great if we can sink and plant into a strong stance and wail away with tons of power and root, but if your feet are glued to the ground you are going to get destroyed. On the other hand if your just dancing around in circle and never "sitting" on any of your strikes, you aren't going to generate any real power. The balance between mobility and sinking/rooting/sitting on punches is evident among any high level fighter from any discipline.

That being said, I think the "pose" of many of the traditional stances is a freeze frame of what often happens at the split second of the end of a technique...in these pictures we see what looks an awful lot like a bow stance, but with the back heel raised a bit, as is the reality of chasing an opponent down.

Name:  06_McDonald_Soto_03.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  ufc-100-punch.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  33.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    trade off between power and mobility.
    Agree! In Baji system, if you are in your

- beginner level training stage and if move your back foot when you punch, you are wrong.
    - advance level training stage and if don't move your back foot when you punch, you are wrong.

In other words, the

- beginner level train power generation.
    - advance level train mobility.

When you punch your back hand with bow arrow stance, if the distance is too far, you may move into

1. monkey stance,
    2. side cat stance,
    3. golden rooster stance,
    4. stealing step (twist stance).

As for the reach, 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > bow arrow stance

This thread remind me an old story.

A guy performed his form in front of a Kung Fu teacher. The Kung Fu teacher said, "You have 6 bow arrow stances in your form. when you did your form, all 6 bow arrow stances are all identical." The guy was very happy and thought that was a complement from the Kung fu teacher. All his life, he didn't understand what exactly that Kung Fu teacher was trying to say to him.

What the Kung Fu teacher was trying to say was he didn't understand how to modify his bow arrow stance according to different situations.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-19-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument