Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan/Vegetarian?

harry_the_monk Guest

Vegatarian/Vegan diets.....

Hi, just didn't want to carry on this conversation in the protein thread, as I thought it might be diverting a bit....
    Basically if anyone who was reading the protein thread was interested in finding out what qualified doctors have to say about the vegetarian diet, along with famous olympic athletes who have been vegetarian check out this site:

http://www.ivu.org/evu/english/news/.../athletic.html

I'm not going to get involved in a debate on the pros and cons of vegetarianism, but its just that I was interested and thought some other people may be too. The site also deals with other nutrients not just protein, can't really think of a way of keeping it up on the front page, so if you want to state what you think thats cool....
    Please don't let it get tit-for-tat though...
    Peace...

Question Vegan/Vegetarian?

Ok, here goes...

I've been looking at it for a while. While it may sound good it lotsa ways.
    But what I'd really like is to meet a vegetarian or vegan that has good muscle definition and mass, is healthy and dosent look all pale.
    And yea, I have only known of a few, one in perticular was a vegan and was as pale as possible.

Its just that the idea sound good and all but I dont want to lose the muscle and definition i have, although great, but good and i want it better.

any thoughts?

Hmm most vegetarians I know are pretty skinny, and incredible definition. Then there are those who look pretty terrible, sickly and dead (hehehe me!!). but man, those guys are strong!

I think the secret is that they eat lots of beans, nuts and substitute with loads of vegetable and fruit juices to keep them going. They tend to also snack loads.

I tend to not care so much about my intake, hence I'm sickly and half decomposed.

Good luck, from the half decomposing breathing pulp behind the screen.
    Sorry for absense, lots happening.

got meat?

Sevan

it's possible, bro. just swing over to seattle and check it out.

the key here is "bioindividuality". it's definitely easier for some than for others.

i've gone about 9 years without beef or pork. i also went about 5 years without fish or poultry. i was never a strict "vegan", but i didn't eat a lot of dairy. for most of that time i was VERY VERY active.

after 5 years though i noticed that i was really wearing down. after making adjustments with a bunch of things, i started eating fish again. it only took about 3 weeks before i really noticed a difference. wow. felt much better.

looking back, i think i COULD have made it work as a strict vegetarian, but it takes a lot of work, esp if you're really active. and i guess i wasn't willing to put in all of the time that was necessary.

in the end, i know some people who can be active, fit and strong with no meat whatsoever. and i know other people that if they go for one week without any kind of meat they get really fatigued. as a sidenote, i don't buy in to the "blood type" reasoning, however, it does point out just how much variability there can be between people.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Since we are on this kind of subject...
    Hey guys have you heard about people living without eating?

Or living only with "light" or prana or chi?

What is everyones thought on this. I just began researching about it.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Blog Entries
    I'm a lacto-ovo-pesco vegetarian. Basically just a vegetarian that eats seafood.

I think the most important point in any diet is that you get a large variety of foods. And maintain a balanced diet.

My sister is vegetarian which most people think of as healthy, but her diet consists of tofu, cheese and bread.

Not very balanced.

She has trouble maintaining weight and at 19 her skin is always really dry.

In contrast I eat all kinds of stuff. And if your worried about calories take this into account, I'm 6'7" tall and 250 lbs.

I eat fish, shellfish, beans, grains, eggs (fortified with omega 3 fats), cheese, all kinds of veggies both asian and western, green vegetables, fresh herbs, falafel, fried tofu, pasta, etc, etc, etc......

You can really mix it up as a vegetarian.

Carl Lewis

I believe Carl Lewis just wrote an article on being a world class athlete and vegan at the same time. I'm sure there are some others that have done it as well. If you want to then go for it.

ford...

do you know if that article really exists??

being a long-time vegetarian athlete, i frequently looked around for "higher" sources (ie pro athletes talking about their vegetarian/vegan diet). what i found is that that information doesn't seem to exist. in fact, most athlete's who claimed they were vegetarian always had a caveat: stopped being a vegetarian during their season, consumed insane amounts of eggs or whey protein, etc... the one exception that you can occasionally find is endurance athletes. and maybe some bodybuilders. power/strength athlete's who are TRUE vegetarians seem to be few and far between.

and believe me, i WANTED to believe there were a lot of them out there.

once again, i think it's possible...for some people. adding fish back to my diet was enough for me personally. fu-pow hit it on the head...variety.

oh..and fu-pow..how many qualifiers can you put before the word "vegetarian" and still call yourself a vegetarian???? =) i'm just playing. i've been through all the variations myself...

Sevan...are you asking this question because you WANT to be a vegetarian? if so, ask yourself why you want to be one. it's easier to proceed after you've done that.

oh...and living off light or air (chi, prana, etc...) is an enormous feat. personally, i think it's probably POSSIBLE, but your yogic practices would have to be unbelievable to get there. i've witness some amazing things though, so i wouldn't count it out.

Xebsball

I heard that many Daoist breathing exercises accomplishes many of the feats. But I don't practise, so I don't want to say anymore than that.

Bodhidharma walked to China with very little food, over the Northern Indian plain, the Himalayans, throught to China on VERY VERY little food. My thoughts, the less you think, the less you eat. D'oh, I need to eat again !

See ya dude

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    I asked stuff cos i saw on tv this woman talking about it, she says she doesnt eat for 3 years.

Here is the site:
    http://vivendodaluz.com

Click on the top to the left you can choose English language.

From what i could understand she does a indian art since she often uses terms such as kundalini and prana, but the site also mentions qigong and uses the word "bigu" to living without food.

Do you think this people are doing this for real or is it just a cult that is making things up? I apreciate all your opinions.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Both my wife and I have been vegetarian for more than 7 years. My baby boy, was conceived from vegetarian parents, and obviously also follow a strickt vegetarian diet. He is now 17 months old but he is physically and mentally as strong as a 2 and a half year old child. At the day care centre, the staff always show him off, telling everyone how amazing it is that he is vegetarian, and how strong and good health he is. Even his Dr is amazed.

I am over 6'4"and weigh 96 kilos. I run dayly, and work out at the gym. I eat healthy, and try balance my vitamin and miniral intake. Being a vegetarian does not really limit performance in an athlete. The MYTH that meat builds beter bodies can be disproven by basic science.

Meat products only contain some protien, VB12 etc. All these are also found in various types of veggies. It has been proven that some soya protien is also more superior to animal protien.

These days there are exelent vegetarian products on the market. You can get anything from stakes, to prawns, fish, chicken etc.

Someone said vegetarians are all pale. THAT IS REALLY NONSENSE! There is no scientifical reason why vegetarians should be pale either. it just doesn't make sense. I have seen some of these gothic kids who drink blood and even eat raw meat. If anyone, then they are pale.

Originally posted by Eddie
    Meat products only contain some protien, VB12 etc. All these are also found in various types of veggies. It has been proven that some soya protien is also more superior to animal protien.
    I would love for you to show me this proof. Soy in no way is superior. I love the vegetarian "holier than thou" stance. Most of the true vegans I've met have been pretty sickly looking, and messed up in the head. I also find it amusing how popular it has become lately, all the ppl with cattle mentality joining the herd because it's fashionable. And then each vegetarian with their "holier than thou" attitude has their own specific set of rules. "oh I can eat chicken, or seafood, or I only eat red meat occaisionally." I find it truly amusing that they think they are better. What makes you better by only eating veggies? There is nothing wrong with eating meat, and it's a much more efficient source of protein and iron. Sure you can eat 50lbs of some veggies to get a good protein source but I doubt many vegetarians do, and that's why you see many thin vegetarians.

I truly don't care what you eat...but if you think you are better because you don't eat meat...or have other stupid rules because you can't even stick to your own vegetarian principles then you are wrong...and quite frankly, just talking out of your a$$.

Isn't it funny that you guys are still searching, or chasing rumours for just "one" pro athlete that is vegan? Go find one...then you can put him on a pedastel while the millions of others truly do adhere to a "balanced" diet.

One question to Eddie, when your son grows older will you allow him to eat meat if he wishes? Just curious.

ElPietro,
    Im not sure where you are coming from. I never even implied I am better than anyone. Someone asked if being vegetarian is good, and I just told about my experience. I do understand the negativity around vegetarians though, because I have also met allot of people who become vegetarian, and then go off on everyone who eat meat or who wear leather products. I know, that’s not cool, but vegetarians have the same problems with people always harassing them on why they become vegetarian. Let all just be what they want to be.

I became vegetarian for very specific reasons, and I am not insecure about my beliefs. I don’t have to justify to anyone, why I made this choice, and I don’t condemn people who are not vegetarian. I respect and support every body’s beliefs.

If my son grows up and he wants to start eating meat, I will allow him to do so. At the moment, I decide for him, but I have no problem if he decides otherwise when he gets a little older. Tell me, did your parents force their beliefs unto you?

Veg protein is always found in many body building supplements. I have a transcript from a study from a University in Australia which compares soy protein, whey protein and meat protein. When I have time, I will type it all out for you to read. It mentions some pretty interesting facts. I have also seen some transcripts of studies which tried discovering if a vegetarian diet will be beneficial in case of chemical warfare as it is difficult to alter the biological structure of plans in such a way. Non conclusive, but so was the counter studies.

About vitamin intake and veggies, well, the proof is in the science. A good athlete needs a combination of various nutrients. Protein, Potassium, Vitamins, Iron, the list is endless. All of which, can be found in different veggies. If you have a balanced vitamin c / iron intake, you will not have to eat 50lbs of plants to supplement iron. Iron, can be found in many plant veggies. I have not yet seen any conclusive proof that indicates if vegetarians are all pale, sickly looking, crazy people. I have not seen any medical, scientifically evidence, that tells me that people who does not eat meat are less healthy than others. What does meat contain, which veggies don’t have?

Perhaps we should try see what makes a good athlete? Maybe we could type out one’s nutritional needs, and see which veggies could supplement it. This way, we could have people decide for themselves. Until then, your comments about vegans or vegetarians being sick and crazy are pure nonsense.

Eddie my rant wasn't directly pointed at you but to about 80% of the vegetarians I've met. And only the true vegans have I seen that look sickly and are crazy. Although, it hasn't been all that many so I wasn't classifying everyone...but I haven't met a vegan that hasn't had the high and mighty attitude.

I would still be interested in the study though...

Originally posted by Eddie

Someone said vegetarians are all pale. THAT IS REALLY NONSENSE!
    In case you are referring to my statement, I said there are some (ie. myself) because I don't take care of what I eat. But those who eat a properly balanced diet with beans, nuts etc, are incredibly strong and healthy....

but I haven't met a vegan that hasn't had the high and mighty attitude.
    You are absolutely right, I see that attitude in myself too, but I do it out of ignorance. Eat whatever you wish, in truth I respect it. Though I mightn't choose to have the same.