View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1119 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 11961910191069110911171118111911201121112911691219 ... LastLast
Results 16,771 to 16,785 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    LOL. And as we all know, all CMA are alike. There is no variation, and all styles are doing the exact same thing. There are no family styles whatsoever. There is only CMA and SD, and all CMA is a uniform, unitary system of martial arts. Wing Chun is Shaolin is Hung Gar is Xin Yi Liu He Quan is Chen Tai Chi. It's all the exact same thing, and everyone who practices those styles is a professional of pure quality.
    So when are you going to start calling jiujitsu Shaolin Do?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    So when are you going to start calling jiujitsu Shaolin Do?
    Good question. But I'll start with you. You do Shaolin Do. Don't fight it (you can't, since your techniques are derived from the 1000 forms of GM The').

You're the next grandmaster, from what I hear.

You call "jujitsu" by the name of "Shuai Jiao."

Oh well.

Blog Entries

question for the shaolin do people

i'm curious to your schools use of "Tai Peng (bird System)".

how did this name come along and do you have the chinese characters? Tai Peng means literally: BIG PLATEAU. So how does this relate to birds?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    i'm curious to your schools use of "Tai Peng (bird System)".

how did this name come along and do you have the chinese characters? Tai Peng means literally: BIG PLATEAU. So how does this relate to birds?
    I'm sure someone here does, but I don't at work. "Peng" could be a bad pronouciation of the system which is supposed to mean "Giant Bird"

This system was Sin The's brother's specialty. Only one small form is taught by Sin The (which is to my understanding only 1/3 of the first Tai Peng form). His brother teaches the system:

TAI PENG (BIRD)
    Tai Peng Sin Kune/ Big Bird Opens Its Wings
    Tai Peng Fan Che/ Big Bird Flips Its Wings
    Tai Peng Chan Se/ Big Bird Spreads Its Wings
    (Above 3 Kata Set)Tai Peng Chan Se
    Tai Peng Chein Wo/ Big Bird Builds Its Nest
    Tai Peng Se Wo/ Big Bird Watches Its Nest
    Tai Peng Pao Wo/ Big Bird Defends/Protects Its Nest
    (Above 3 Kata Set)Tai Peng Pao Wo
    Tai Peng Sao/ Yin Big Bird Sweeps the Clouds
    Tai Peng Khe Yin/ Big Bird Cuts the Clouds
    Tai Peng Wu Yin/ Big Bird Dances On the Clouds
    Tai Peng Po Yin/ Big Bird Strikes Through the Clouds
    Tai Peng Chuen He (Hur)/ Big Bird Aims/Stalks
    Tai Peng Luo Tien/ Big Bird Desends/Drops From the Sky
    Tai Peng Chua Chien/ Big Bird Claw
    Tai Peng Kung/ Big Bird Attacks
    Tai Peng Foo/ Big Bird Trap
    Tai Peng Se/ Big Bird Vision
    Tai Peng Ching/ Big Bird Spirit
    Tai Peng Chien/ Big Bird Form

http://www.centralshaolin.com/cshaol...rial_list.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_Peng

"Big Plateau" right Frank?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I have a friend as does JP that has all the chinese characters for all the names and crossed referenced from GMThe's notes. I have contacted him and will know soon what the translation is. I will post it when I have it. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote from Leto:

"In the northern darkness there is a fish and his name is K'un. The K'un is so huge I don't know how many thousand li he measures. He changes and becomes a bird whose name is P'eng. The back of the P'eng measures I don't know how many thousand li across and, when he rises up and flies off, his wings are like clouds all over the sky. When the sea begins to move, this bird sets off for the southern darkness, which is the Lake of Heaven. " - Chuang Tzu

If you keep reading the Central Shaolin page, they list the same bird and crane forms that are in SD, seperately from the Tai Peng system. I don't think they are the same thing, just named similarly. Actually, Chan Ie, that we have been told means "spreading wings", actually uses the character for feathers, not wings.

Also, according to the characters written by GM Sin for Tai Peng Sin Kune, they don't say "great bird opens wings" exactly. 太鵬伸拳Actually the character for "kune" is quan (chien), fist. So I guess this one is using the cantonese pronounciation rather than the fukien and occasional mandarin that we see in all the other form names. The character for "sin" looks to be "shen" in mandarin, which is like "extend". So great bird extending fist? Maybe "opens wings" is what the extending character implies...but it is not the same characters that are used for Chan Ie (Yu)演鸽, which is spreading feathers, or white crane spreads wings in the five animal form, which is bai he chan chi(se) 白鹤演翅.

Of course, the scribbly hand written and photcopied characters that are handed down to use are hard to read a lot of the time. I may have some things wrong...but fourth character of tai peng sin kune 拳 definately looks like the same character at the end of lohan chien, it is easy to compare because they are right next to eachother on the document. It looks nothing like the character for wings 翅, which is found in the white crane forms.

Not that the names are super important. We can call them whatever we want, really (and we have been for several decades now)."
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 11-12-2012 at 09:12 AM.

So Tai Peng 大坪 is different from 太鵬伸拳.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend as does JP that has all the chinese characters for all the names and crossed referenced from GMThe's notes. I have contacted him and will know soon what the translation is. I will post it when I have it. KC
    cool. i'm just curious because "TAI PING/PENG" 太平 (TAI PING) & 大坪 (DA PING) BOTH HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH A BIRD

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post

You call "jujitsu" by the name of "Shuai Jiao."
    No. I call jujitsu 'jujitsu' because that's what it is.

I call shuai jiao 'shuai jiao' because that's what it is.

I don't need selective circuitous equivocation to call something what it is.

If someone with no affiliation to Shaolin Do opened a school tomorrow and started teaching your, for lack of a better term, 'system', I guarantee you every single one of you would be up in arms about how it wasn't real Shaolin Do.

Blog Entries
    LOOKS LIKE THERE ISN'T A VIDEO OF THIS: "太鵬伸拳" CAN'T BE FOUND ANYWHERE

"太鵬伸拳"

GOOGLE:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=%22%...w=1752&bih=910

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    No. I call jujitsu 'jujitsu' because that's what it is.

I call shuai jiao 'shuai jiao' because that's what it is.

I don't need selective circuitous equivocation to call something what it is.

If someone with no affiliation to Shaolin Do opened a school tomorrow and started teaching your, for lack of a better term, 'system', I guarantee you every single one of you would be up in arms about how it wasn't real Shaolin Do.
    There have been several people that teach SD's material that have no current affilitation with SD. Sin The's brother teaches seperately. Barry Van Over in Knoxville teaches whatever is popular, but his base knowledge is SD. Lawrence Day split off and teaches SD's material. John Winglock Ng has students who teach SD's material: Alex Huynh demonstrated portions of two basic SD forms on Nat Geo's fight science and confirmed in an e-mail that he started out learning "traditional" kung fu under John Winglock Ng lineage (that e-mail and a full discussion of this can be found in this thread if you sort through all the ****ing contests that pop up too). Many of Ng's students used to be SD students and vice-versa due to the proximity to each other. And we can't forget Jake Mace who is no longer affiliated with SD.

So yes other people teach basic SD material and appear to have picked it up somewhere along the way from SD. Much of this is why Sin The keeps trying, unsucsessfully, to sue for copyright violations.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 11-12-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    LOOKS LIKE THERE ISN'T A VIDEO OF THIS: "太鵬伸拳" CAN'T BE FOUND ANYWHERE

"太鵬伸拳"

GOOGLE:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=%22%...w=1752&bih=910
    You mean there's no video? Does that surprise you? I have always assumed that the world is bigger than youtube.

Blog Entries
    you mean there's no video? Does that surprise you?
    you guys say its all real shaolin. So, if it was it would have a video of it somewhere right? This just adds to the idea that all this stuff was just invented to make money off the unsuspecting.

You know, sin the could never have done this in san francisco. He'd get called out quick!

I have befriended some local Shaolin Do practitioners recently, they love what they are learning, and respect other arts. They also travel to the Shaolin Temple annually and are taught traditional Shaolin forms. I might join them on their next trip.
    Also, one of the Shaolin Do students recently joined out school on the recommendation of his Shaolin Do teacher.

Who cares if the lineage is real or not...
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County