Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Ark Yuey Wong- list of lineage/style holders?

Right idea?
    Yes, I hope so.
    Getting it is a different story it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post
    Sanjuro,

You mentioned your Sifu in Canada name was Wong. What did he teach ?

Where is he from ?

Thanks, Sifu Ron
    That is kind of a long story...I was introduced to him through someone that I "helped" while I was bouncing and was allowed to partake in private leassons for about 9 months or so...he teaches Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut and Do Pai (SP?).
    Though in his "commercial" school he teaches "karate and kung fu".

He was never to "happy" to have me there, I was the only "white boy" at the time and while I got lots of sparring and "matches" from my time there, I must say that the best part was seeing him in action.
    He was never rude or disrespectful, it was just clear that I was there as a favour to someone that had some clout with him.

Don't really wanna get into more detail over the net, I am sure you understand.

My time did, however, open my apetite for the "real kung fu".

Interresting. Good Kung Fu, (fact is good M/A ) are good for the apetite.....
    Hawaiin Punch anyone?

I enjoy talking with you very much.

I would like to know more, however that is up to you. Feel free to e-mail me at

WAHQUE@YAHOO.COM

if you like.

What was or is your Sifu's age ?
    Was he born in China ?
    Take care, Sifu Ron
    Email sent,
    He was in his 60's I think, his commercial school has been around since the 80's if not longer, probably 70's.
    He was born in China, yes.

Talking G.M. Ark Yuey Wong;

Hi Guys. You know the more I read Sanjuro-ronin threads the more he sounds like me. I searched for the best M.A. that at the time , I tried Ju Jitsu, Kenpo Karate. Shotokan style, and trained in JSA, Aiki Bu Jitsu etc. Then I heard a rumor about an elderly Chinese man that taught Kung Fu!!!. The only problem was that he only taught Chinese & a few Islanders. But That lit a fire under me and changed my life forever.Now 50 years later I'm still talking about my adventure into G.M.Wong's Kung Fu.

Sifu Jim

Good background.

Sounds like a good Sifu.

Sounds like you enjoyed it.

Question, have you ever heard of the Hung Ga Boat Style of Kung Fu ?

Take care, Sifu Ron
    I have never heard of that style, sounds like something "cultivated" on the "red boats", yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Anestasi View Post
    Hi Guys. You know the more I read Sanjuro-ronin threads the more he sounds like me. I searched for the best M.A. that at the time , I tried Ju Jitsu, Kenpo Karate. Shotokan style, and trained in JSA, Aiki Bu Jitsu etc. Then I heard a rumor about an elderly Chinese man that taught Kung Fu!!!. The only problem was that he only taught Chinese & a few Islanders. But That lit a fire under me and changed my life forever.Now 50 years later I'm still talking about my adventure into G.M.Wong's Kung Fu.

Sifu Jim
    Yes, the search started that way and, even though I know realize that it is the man, not the style, I am still searching, not for the best MA, just for what I don't have and might need.
    If nothing else, I get to know great people and teachers, how is that a bad thing?

If you would like to contact me directly, like Sifu Ron has, you can here:
    pau1@bellnet.ca

That is pau and the #1, not "l".

Thats sound like wing chun ....the read boat Opera

Fast

Uncle Ron

Loong Chuan mean Dragon fist......the red boat guys was Wing chun .....thats why he used the horse stance of WC Yee jee keem yeung ma ....pigeon tooe in stance..... and from where the long pole weapons born....

Take Ron

Steeve

The Red Boat Hung Style is probably known these days as Old Hung Ga.
    The Red Boats were havens for the escapees of Southern Siu Lam after the pillage by the Chings. It has been said That Gee Sin Sim See was on the boats and taught the laymen during and after The Tiger Style Boxing which later was incorporated by the layman Hung Hei Goon who was a tea merchant and Luk Ah Choi who was actually a Manchurian. From there the Hung Kuen story pretty much starts.
    I'm no expert or historian. This is what i have gathered after some research and conversations.

Gee Sim is a legend in southern Style .....He had teah Hung fei Hung and also this guys of Wing chun(Wong Bok leung ,Dai fa Min Kam and so on) ...soo the father of WC and Hung Gar ...now we have Gee sim WC and the old hung kuen ..
    Do you saw the Hung kuen of Sifu Lao Kim ?very different of the modern hung gar... For sure the hung ga of GM Wong was the old school.....but was a part of his style ....We have the 5 family in Ng Ga kuen.....

Steeve

Thumbs up Hand thru the heart

Sifu Ron,

Now your talking ,The form Hand thru the heart is a short powerful deadly set I remember it well. How about Bamboo shoots thru heart, Do you remember that one as well. G.M.Wong liked these sets as Hung Ga was his favorite style.
    Many years ago when I first met him I asked what style he taught,he answered Choi ,Li,Mok,Fut, Hung gar & The Tiger,dragon,crane,snake,leopard.
    I dont remember if we filmed them, probably did. Do you have all those old films on dvd's?.
    Sifu Jim

Bamboo Shoots Thru The Heart.

Great one, all Hung-Ga Sifu taught us was powerful deadly styles, that is after all what we wanted and what we received.

Through the years I have discovered most peole really don't desire putting in the effort to learn the Hung-Ga Styles as we were taught, it is really, really, hard work.

Remember Monk Pang's Dragon Palm ?

Take Care, Sifu Ron
    Sometimes, some of us couldn't spend 10 years to learn the good stuff...
    Sad, but true nevertheless.
    Other times the good stuff was never taught nor explained, perhaps because it was not known...

I venture to say that TCMA would be in a better state right now if the good stuff had remained in more than just the hands of a few, no mater how deserving they were.

I hope this doesn't comes as a overly harsh critique, just that it seems that TCMA is much maligned lately and the reason is the apperant lack of fighters.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Very interresting banditshaw.

Yes the Hung-Ga Boat Style is an old style. My favorite is the a form from the Hung-Ga Boat Style he called Hand Thru The Heart ( a closed Fist Style). The Hung-Ga Tiger-Crane is also an excellant one.

I never asked many questions about History from Ark Wong. He explained things as we went along. He knew I was not interrested in history, I was interrested in fighting (self-defense). I let him pick and chose the method or manner in which he trained me. I am glad I did. It was (and still is) hard work.

Thank you for the information banditshaw.

Sifu Ron
    Your welcome Ron. Thank you to you and Jim for sharing your stories and insights as well.

Wink Talker;

Hi Ron,
    You were always a talker,as salesmanship was your calling.You still out talk me even on the Web,about 10 to 1 posts.
    When I first started this Quest I really didn't know what I was looking for, I guess I wanted to be able to defend myself. But along the way I found what I was searching for .It wasn't for self defense It was far deeper, only when you find it you have to know what to do with it. We all search for something,only you can find it.
    Sifu Jim

Smile Wah Que Lineage;

Sifu Ron,
    Just got back,it was far to short.
    You mentioned Sifu Ralph Shun who has passed on to the great Kung Fu temple in the clouds. As a student he was eager to learn G.M.Ark Wong's System. I taught & worked out with him for years,he kept to himself mostly alway's attentive,polite,respectful to every one. I recall being rather hard on him at times but he never complained. I started writing a book for Sifu Wong , his first and after I moved to Orange,Ca. and started a new job my time was cut down as it was some distance from the school .I could only teach on weekends, So I talked to Sifu Ralph Shun about writing the book with me,so we collaborated on the completion of the book. I loaned my only copy to one of my students, who suddenly left the state. I found out where he moved to and after talking to him he told me he gave it back to me!. I was upset about that and should have known not to have loaned it out. I also loaned out several old pictures of G.M.Wong to a freelance writer who did not return all of them. So no longer will I loan out any thing.
    I'm off subject as we were talking about Sifu Ralph Shun, When I left The state,it was a mistake that haunts me to this day. Ralph went on to be a great teacher himself, I know a lot of what I taught him was passed on to all of his students. That makes me feel very good and G.M.Ark Y.Wong would have a smile on his face.
    Sifu Jim